Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 70% say Notley doesn't know what Albertans want/57% say UCP is to conservative

Anyone have a real centrist party? Now may be the time to step up...you could win an election in just 2 years.

Quote:
Seven in 10 Albertans, including 40 per cent of past Alberta NDP voters surveyed, say the current Rachel Notley government is out of touch with what Albertans want, according to a new Angus Reid analysis.

On the flip side, their online survey shows that 57 per cent of respondents think the conservatives in Alberta feel they’re entitled to govern, and nearly half (47 per cent) think the newly-formed United Conservative party (UCP) is too far right wing.

Of the Albertans surveyed between the ages of 18 to 34, 57 per cent think the UCP is too far right wing, and they’re seeking a centrist alternative.

In terms of potential provincial leaders, Brian Jean garners the highest support at 48 per cent, with Jason Kenney coming in at 38 per cent. Current Premier Rachel Notley had 29 per cent of support.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...tans-want.html
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, we definitely needed a new thread for this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what Brian Jean has been saying. I'm going to vote for him when the time comes, barring anything unexpected materializing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sure, we definitely needed a new thread for this.
Feel free to move it as your a mod and all...

Oh wait.

Truth is, i couldnt find any other thread talking about Alberta provincial polls of late.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about the Alberta Party and the Alberta Liberals? Haven't checked on them in a while but the last time I did they both seemed fairly centrist.

I suspect that a lot of Albertans claim to want a centrist government but their definition of centrism may be a little different than in other parts of the country.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, now we're talking! Slam those two together and we meet in the middle!

A socially conscious but fiscally conservative party!

All decisions will have to be made during the 'Feats of Strength' around the festivus pole!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
What about the Alberta Party and the Alberta Liberals? Haven't checked on them in a while but the last time I did they both seemed fairly centrist.

I suspect that a lot of Albertans claim to want a centrist government but their definition of centrism may be a little different than in other parts of the country.
The great white Alberta unicorn.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Feel free to move it as your a mod and all...

Oh wait.

Truth is, i couldnt find any other thread talking about Alberta provincial polls of late.
Could be because polls 18 months out from an election are meaningless? I mean we just went through two elections in this province where polls 2 months out were ultimately meaningless. Probably should just go in the ongoing thread.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, what many Albertans want is their cake and the ability to eat it too. What else is new? It's the same story, different day/year.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
LOL, what many Albertans want is their cake and the ability to eat it too. What else is new? It's the same story, different day/year.
Can I want a party that doesn't spend like crazy but doesn't partner with people who dislike gay people, or does that make me selfish?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, spending is neither here nor there to me anymore. Every party spends, just in different ways, and we all usually end up bitching about it in one form or another. But I understand what you're saying. I'm just tired of listening to people like my neighbours who figure every government elected (regardless of party), should be instantly returning us to the "hay day we used to have where we all made the big bucks" (whatever that means, just quoting them) and how "that bitch has ruined Alberta", a comment I'm still waiting for them to clarify in just what ways that's happened, and it's yet to be clarified, months later. Mind you, these are the people who also were making really nasty threats against her, until I told them if they say those publicly around the right people, they'll end up getting visits from the police. We just don't talk about politics anymore, because they are so over the top ridiculous without any proof to back it up. I hear a lot of it.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Can I want a party that doesn't spend like crazy but doesn't partner with people who dislike gay people, or does that make me selfish?
I miss George Carlin.

Leave gay people alone to do their thing and focus on balancing the budget.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So, basically, the majority agrees our political options still suck.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I like what Brian Jean has been saying.
A lot of what he says is complete baloney... it's stuff that he'll never do or if he does do it it'll get immediately challenged in court. His fiscal "plan" if you can call it that basically amounts to just trickle down economics and his plan for tackling the debt/deficit amounts to finding the mythical "efficiencies" that every damn governments/political party says it'll find.

I give him credit for at least putting out a platform (unlike Kenney) but that platform is mostly a fact-challenged pile of phony drivel.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #15
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
So, basically, the majority agrees our political options still suck.
Could be worse--we could live in BC, where your choice is extreme left or extreme right.

Though we may be headed in that direction, sadly.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
To be honest, spending is neither here nor there to me anymore. Every party spends, just in different ways, and we all usually end up bitching about it in one form or another. But I understand what you're saying. I'm just tired of listening to people like my neighbours who figure every government elected (regardless of party), should be instantly returning us to the "hay day we used to have where we all made the big bucks" (whatever that means, just quoting them) and how "that bitch has ruined Alberta", a comment I'm still waiting for them to clarify in just what ways that's happened, and it's yet to be clarified, months later. Mind you, these are the people who also were making really nasty threats against her, until I told them if they say those publicly around the right people, they'll end up getting visits from the police. We just don't talk about politics anymore, because they are so over the top ridiculous without any proof to back it up. I hear a lot of it.
So you deal with ####ty people and as a result it's wanting the world to have a centrist party.

Got it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Could be worse--we could live in BC, where your choice is extreme left or extreme right.
Are the BC Liberals really more conservative than the Alberta conservatives? If so, how?

(As I recently moved to BC, it would be good for me to learn this stuff.)

Save
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #18
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Are the BC Liberals really more conservative than the Alberta conservatives? If so, how?

No, they're not. I would say that (from what I can see) the difference between the BC GreeNDP - BC Liberals is probably similar to the difference between the AB NDP - UCP.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post

Save
Yeah, I think he's got it a bit backwards.

Like someone else said,the Albertan perspective on what is centrist different from the rest of the country.

What separates bc and Alberta conservatives is the social commentary. The bc libs are the same kind political factioning that the ucp just went through, a loose coalition of anyone but NDP, except the BC Libs learned early on that they didn't stand a chance if social conservatism was even perceived to be a component of the party.

Alberta is significantly more tolerant of the kind of social conservative brand but that support is waning considerably and the ucp is likely to find that out in the next election in my opinion.

Things like opposition to GSAs isn't anywhere on the political radar here, but it's treated like a serious issue in Alberta.

The reason centrist parties in Alberta dont really gain much traction is because the people if Alberta don't really want a centrist option. The NDP have had to adopt the centrist position to get a sniff of power, and now 70% of the province apparently doesn't like their centrist governing.

The Alberta provincial NDP is a pretty centrist government. They are seriously out of step with every other provincial NDP party and diverge substantially from their Federal counterparts as well but because notley and crew actually want to govern they have been forced to adopt policy positions that are often anathema to their NDP peers.

The bc ndp for example are significantly more centrist as a party than they have been in recent years and can barely coexist with their Albertan counter parts.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The reason centrist parties in Alberta dont really gain much traction is because the people if Alberta don't really want a centrist option.
I'd argue by the time of Stelmach, Redford, and Prentice, the Alberta PCs were a centrist party.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote