Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #201
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I really want us to build up through the draft, because that's how you get game breaking talent, but damn it if beating the Stars didn't feel good. Logically I know it's better for us to just lose out, but on a game by game basis, I want to see wins because they're more fun. I'm cheering for wins, but no longer disappointed by loses.
Maybe my attitude will change it we get to game 78+ and we're within a few points of a top 5 pick.
You realize the Flames have 17 points on the team that is 5th last
Old 03-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #202
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You realize the Flames have 17 points on the team that is 5th last
I'm just throwing out a scenario where I would start activity hoping/cheering for losses; I'm not saying it's a likely result.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:04 PM   #203
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If this extra two points costs us a higher pick, why would we enjoy the win?

Winning is now detrimental to improving this team. I know that sounds stupid, but that's how the rules are set up.
I like when my team wins. I was cheering when Toffoli scored last night. You do you.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #204
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ngl.. there were some shawshank vibes on that late goal

We've picked the short end of the stick virtually all season

It was cathartic
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 01:37 PM   #205
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They are in Dallas' and Oettinger's head IMO. May as well enjoy that we still have one team we own. winning that round was probably the high point of the franchise in recent memory.

There was all that cursing and witchcraft memes people did to beat Oettinger in the playoffs, we may as well get our money's worth because the flip side of that seems to have been a curse and reversal of fortune in every other respect.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:16 PM   #206
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I like when my team wins. I was cheering when Toffoli scored last night. You do you.
I enjoy being miserable.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 05:47 PM   #207
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But even if you filter by game situation to "Within 1" they 3rd in the NHL in xGF% in a grouping of Carolina, NJ, Calgary, Boston and Toronto.

It's not like they're taking their foot off the gas when the game is tight.

It's a freak season.

Even in just HD splits they are 10th in the league when the game is within one.

This team is a lot of things when it comes to execution, but I don't see any real proof of a lack of effort, or a group that wilts under pressure.

Just not getting it done.
It seems like the team really should be doing a ton better than they are.

So where are you on Sutter? There are 3 things that have been driving me absolutely mad!

1. The amount of ice time that the bottom 3 players on the roster are getting. The 4th line seems constantly caved in.

2. The line combinations. I cant believe Sutter has stuck with Kadri/Huberdeau for so long, when it really looks like a disaster to me.

3. The man on man coverage in our defensive zone. Many times it works ok, but when it breaks down, it seems to offer up a huge Grade A chance which ends up in the net. I'd like to see more traditional defensive zone play.

Would not their offensive execution be better with some adjustments to my points 1 and 2? And would not their defensive collapses be more mitigated by changing 3?

Do you feel Sutter is being overly stubborn in not changing any of this? I sure do at this point! But, sneak into the playoffs and go on a long run, and I will admit that I was proven wrong.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:31 AM   #208
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

nm

Last edited by SportsJunky; 03-09-2023 at 10:36 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #209
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Both Alberta teams are a joke from the past 30 years .

Let’s start setting our sites higher then the Oilers .
Quoted for truth
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:37 AM   #210
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post

So where are you on Sutter? There are 3 things that have been driving me absolutely mad!

1. The amount of ice time that the bottom 3 players on the roster are getting. The 4th line seems constantly caved in.

2. The line combinations. I cant believe Sutter has stuck with Kadri/Huberdeau for so long, when it really looks like a disaster to me.

3. The man on man coverage in our defensive zone. Many times it works ok, but when it breaks down, it seems to offer up a huge Grade A chance which ends up in the net. I'd like to see more traditional defensive zone play.

Would not their offensive execution be better with some adjustments to my points 1 and 2? And would not their defensive collapses be more mitigated by changing 3?

Do you feel Sutter is being overly stubborn in not changing any of this? I sure do at this point! But, sneak into the playoffs and go on a long run, and I will admit that I was proven wrong.
It's felt like since November he's been trying to make a point to someone.

The fan base? (does he read social media)
The GM? (feud brewing)
Ownership? (hostile press conferences)

I certainly don't agree with everyone here or on twitter as to what has to happen, but I have to admit there are some odd choices.

Not breaking up Huberdeau and Kadri for example is so strange when he's moved his D pairs around, altered other lines (a bit) and gone to a different starting goalie on a few occassions.

His 4th line usage is a touch strong, but it's not the culprit in ice time as much as his leaning on the third line takes time away from the top six.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 05:02 PM   #211
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post

Well, I guess we can go back to playing more zone type defense like Gulutzan deployed and based on how many people loathed him, I doubt that would gain much traction. It was a pretty passive style and it was aimed at protecting the house. But personally, I see merits in both strategies. Although ultimately, I actually think it's more important for individuals to stop the cycle and kill plays quickly regardless of what system is deployed and I believe the Flames do that pretty well relatively speaking. They're a top shot suppression team that doesn't allow a lot from the house. That's really all you can ask for from your defense because breakdowns are
going to happen.

I've honestly been more concerned with the team's details in the offensive zone leading to breakdowns. I find this team tends to have a problem leaving too much for the opposition to take advantage of when they're desperately trying to score which happens often. Lots of ill-advised pinches when the forwards aren't there to offer back support and be more connected through the middle of the ice which has lead to odd man rushes vs our fragile goaltenders (not good a idea). That's the key, being connected which is something last year's top line was spectacularly elite and it lead to that line producing the most absurd 5 on 5 goal differential. No other line has come even close to being able to mimic that differential.

If the team is better with their details going forward, they should be able to cut down unnecessary odd man rushes against which should help their goalies a ton.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #212
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve never heard of man on man coverage in the d zone until this year. Not sure why you would ever do that.

Zone coverage yes.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:55 PM   #213
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I’ve never heard of man on man coverage in the d zone until this year. Not sure why you would ever do that.

Zone coverage yes.
It's not new. I think Millen keeps referring to it as man on man but it's more puck pressure a guy pressure the puck carrier but you need guys to know how to handle switches which it seems we can't do.

It's kind of like the NBA actually.

A more passive zone style coverage seems like it would work best with the players we have to turn it over and dart up ice in numbers.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:41 AM   #214
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/146761
https://www.espn.com/nhl/recap/_/gameId/401459597
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2466649