Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #121
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is from Yahoo fantasy hockey. Apparently the defense has been 'horrific'.

Quote:
Mike Smith allowed three goals on 45 shots in Wednesday's 4-3 overtime win in Los Angeles.
Advice: The Flames defense has been horrific in front of Smith, as he has been forced to make 42 or more saves in three of his first four starts. However, he has rattled off three consecutive victories and is off to a great start despite the lack of defense. A change of scenery is doing the former All-Star good so far after years playing for mediocre teams in Arizona.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #122
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
This is from Yahoo fantasy hockey. Apparently the defense has been 'horrific'.

So much of this has to do with much higher shot-totals across the board combined by the fact that the Flames have played 3/4 games on the road. Defense needs to be better, but it most certainly has not been “horrific.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #123
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...s-shortcomings

Article from Francis saying Smith is masking our poor defense.

I would agree. We can't keep giving up this many good scoring chances and expect to come out ahead in games. Smith has been rock solid but he's going to need some support
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #124
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The eye test for me says that the Flames are allowing way too many good chances on Smith. Too many odd-man rushes and high-scoring chances.

Yes, the shot totals around the league may indeed be higher, but the Flames also have one of the best defences in the league and should be counted on to really be a leader in SA this year, especially of the high danger variety.

I am thinking it is just the kinks getting worked out at this time. Let's see where it is between games 10 and 15-20, and worry about it then if need be.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #125
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The eye test for me says that the Flames are allowing way too many good chances on Smith. Too many odd-man rushes and high-scoring chances.

Yes, the shot totals around the league may indeed be higher, but the Flames also have one of the best defences in the league and should be counted on to really be a leader in SA this year, especially of the high danger variety.

I am thinking it is just the kinks getting worked out at this time. Let's see where it is between games 10 and 15-20, and worry about it then if need be.

Quoted for truth. Watching the games it's clear that the Flames are allowing too many good chances. The actual shot totals or how they are counted is irrelevant.
Smith is playing great, though.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #126
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Quoted for truth. Watching the games it's clear that the Flames are allowing too many good chances. The actual shot totals or how they are counted is irrelevant.
Smith is playing great, though.
Fortunately Gulutzan is aware of how bad the defence has been despite our three game win streak. It sounds like getting the team to be much more defensively responsible is one of the things they will be working on over the next week or so.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #127
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump

Such a battler

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #128
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Bump

Such a battler
It's refreshing to have a starting goaltender who seems to be as strong mentally as he is with his on-ice play.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #129
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's refreshing to have a starting goaltender who seems to be as strong mentally as he is with his on-ice play.
He also has a lot of swagger. He doesn't back down from anything and you can see he is having a lot of fun when the Flames win.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #130
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, my pick before the season started was Grubauer so it was interesting to see the goaltending battle unfold last night. I thought both goalies were excellent and just hoping Smith can maintain this fine level of play.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #131
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
He also has a lot of swagger. He doesn't back down from anything and you can see he is having a lot of fun when the Flames win.
Love how he got in Fiala's head on that first shootout attempt in Nashville.
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #132
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotiou22 View Post
Love how he got in Fiala's head on that first shootout attempt in Nashville.
And how he just casually dumped Ovechkin last night -
https://streamable.com/fpftx

Gotta say, I really enjoy his competitiveness. You can tell how bad he wants to win.
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Loudog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #133
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

His stats are exactly what you’d want and his intangible qualities are very evident.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #134
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Smith has been incredible. Man he works hard at not letting anyone beat him period. I wonder what he's like behind closed doors in the locker room.

He was quoted as saying he's got one job stopping pucks but he's done allot more than that.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #135
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the Coyotes' record this season, it's pretty clear Smith was the reason they weren't Colorado-bad last season.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #136
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Looking at the Coyotes' record this season, it's pretty clear Smith was the reason they weren't Colorado-bad last season.
They might give the 74- 75 Capitals a run for worse record.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #137
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

At best I thought Smith would be Elliott-like. At worst I envisioned a lottery quality goalie.

I'm so glad to have been wrong. He'll obviously have his rough patches. But you can see it in his eyes. He wants the team to do well so bad and will do everything in his power to make it happen.

Just once in my life I'd like to see a combination of good goaltending, good offence and good defence. Instead it seems like we get 1 of these things, maybe a combination of 2 at the best. I will be so upset if the skaters waste a season with goaltending like this.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 10-30-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:20 AM   #138
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't remember which Capitals player it was being interviewed between periods last game, but the look on his face when he was describing how frustrating it was to have Smith coming out to play pucks was priceless.

His actual play in net has been stingy and he battles hard, but that ability to play the puck has been a bigger factor that I anticipated when the trade was announced.

It also seems clear now he was a pretty major element in the Coyotes being even semi competitive the last few years.

Really excited he seems to be finding a groove with us.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 AM   #139
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Just once in my life I'd like to see a combination of good goaltending, good offence and good defence. Instead it seems like we get 1 of these things, maybe a combination of 2 at the best. I will be so upset if the skaters waste a season with goaltending like this.

We saw this on Sunday night my friend. They play like that more, and the goals will come.
Hopefully it's something we can get used to seeing!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #140
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

In some ways I think it has been good for the team that Smith can handle high shot counts. It gets him in a grove and he doesn't seem to mind the extra work. It has been extra refreshing not seeing a bad goal go in just the team starts to gain momentum. Very deflating whenever Elliot would allow an unexpected goal at the worst of times.

BT said they did a lot of research before they brought Smith in, still a lot of people didn't want to wait until we actually saw him play. Now if we can just get the bottom 2 lines working we might start to get some wins in the bank.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote