Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 08:58 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) do you think fans have a meaningful line of communication with the team and I don't mean in regards to lines and who is on the team and trades etc
- As much as they should yes.

2) do you think ownership has set pricing for tickets and merchandise that is reasonable for the average Calgarian
- Individual decision. The dome only holds 19K. If everyone could afford those tickets how do you decide who goes? Supply/demand.

3) do you think for the average Calgary family the NHL is a good value?
- Up to everyone to decide for themselves. I haven't gone to many games in recent years but more because I don't have time. I generally value experiences over stuff, and spend my money accordingly though. Others value other things more highly (expensive hobbies like golf, bigger home, fancy car, vacations, hard drugs - it's all about to the individual in terms of what they value).
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Ouch ...

Dumb or insufferable are my choices?

Nice way to converse with people!

Maybe you need to take a step back given a response like that. People just disagree with you. I've taken the time to answer everything you've asked, and you got personal when I made a comparison you didn't like.
Yeah man, when in my original post I'm like I don't like the suggestion of just don't go because I love my team and then you retort with well I don't like Tom Cruise or Mission Impossible you don't see me organizing against it. It just strikes me as either you're not reading what I'm saying or you just want to blithely #### on my post
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #23
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Yeah man, when in my original post I'm like I don't like the suggestion of just don't go because I love my team and then you retort with well I don't like Tom Cruise or Mission Impossible you don't see me organizing against it. It just strikes me as either you're not reading what I'm saying or you just want to blithely #### on my post
Sorry people aren’t taking everything super seriously from the guy who masturbates to snack food.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #24
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
That's the trick, it is a business and that jersey is a corporate logo, we all create this make believe scenario where our team is morally, ethically, more skilled, has bad luck, and is being picked on more than other teams. The players are private contractors and have way less attachment to a franchise than the fans, it's their employer not some high and mighty organization.
Every player on (insert favourite team) is a great guy based on a bunch of media clips where they are all trained to say the same message. Statistically very unlikely.
But that's what separates a sports team from a Rexall or, walmart. People don't shop at Rexall or Walmart because they passionately love the store. They shop there because of value and prices. People go to flames, jets, Oilers whatever games because it's ingrained in the culture and possibly or likely a family tradition and something they love to do. I don't think that's something to be taken lightly and I don't think you can just say that the NHL is a business in the same way that a pharmacy is a business it's a very different thing
Old 11-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's still a personal evaluation.
You love the Jets
You hate the owners

On balance you decide if your love for the Jets outweighs your hate for the owners and that dictates if you continue to be a fan that spends time/money on the team or not.

When the math tips, then you stop being a fan.

If that happens to enough fans, something probably changes.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:03 AM   #26
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I've posted four times in this topic.

I answered all three of your questions.

I've clearly responded to all your thoughts, so my understanding of things is pretty much beyond challenge.

You don't like a comparison and went jugular.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:05 AM   #27
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It's still a personal evaluation.
You love the Jets
You hate the owners

On balance you decide if your love for the Jets outweighs your hate for the owners and that dictates if you continue to be a fan that spends time/money on the team or not.

When the math tips, then you stop being a fan.

If that happens to enough fans, something probably changes.
And yet in north america, teams routinely move from city to city. the flames threatened to move in order to get an arena, and in the NFL its even worse where teams relocate like its no big deal. I think thats bad for fans.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:06 AM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've posted four times in this topic.

I answered all three of your questions.

I've clearly responded to all your thoughts, so my understanding of things is pretty much beyond challenge.

You don't like a comparison and went jugular.
original post: "i love x and i dont want to not go, i think an alternative should be discussed"

the response: "jUSt DoNT gO"

The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 09:08 AM   #29
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet in north america, teams routinely move from city to city. the flames threatened to move in order to get an arena, and in the NFL its even worse where teams relocate like its no big deal. I think thats bad for fans.
Well that's a different issue. How do you propose to stop that from happening?
My read is that this isn't about the pros and cons about fan unions, but you just have a massive gear to grind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 09:09 AM   #30
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
original post: "i love x and i dont want to not go, i think an alternative should be discussed"

the response: "jUSt DoNT gO"

So are you suggesting that's all I said?

Otherwise you are reacted emotionally to a comparison you didn't like and reacted poorly.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:10 AM   #31
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's a different issue. How do you propose to stop that from happening?
My read is that this isn't about the pros and cons about fan unions, but you just have a massive gear to grind.
I have a gear to grind? Just me?

Attendance around the league is tanking. Fans are already speaking with their wallets.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #32
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So are you suggesting that's all I said?

Otherwise you are reacted emotionally to a comparison you didn't like and reacted poorly.
You said more but the premise to your post is just that. It's like any other consumer good or service, so don't go. Hyperbole, it's fun. Maybe we can use blue font colour for hyperbole?
Old 11-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #33
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Attendance around the league is tanking. Fans are already speaking with their wallets.
Not it's not. It's up YoY by more than 2%.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

So you don't need a union then! System is working!

Could also be a world wide inflation issue fueled by a pandemic, and some hostilities ...
Old 11-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the data:

https://soundofhockey.com/2023/11/02...ndance-report/
Old 11-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #36
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is such a dumb comparison you're either purposefully not understanding or just being insufferable.
Quote:
My dude, it's a perfect comparison. Sports, like movies, are entertainment. That are products of corporate ventures that exist to make money.

You can talk about how sport is different, the same way I could talk about film and art being different, but you can't remove the basic fact that it's Entertaiment created by businesses trying to make money.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #37
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not it's not. It's up YoY by more than 2%.
I'm sure some of the bigger teams with larger arenas are pulling a lot of weight but a number of teams, including the Flames, are experience sharp drops

https://############.com/news/nhl-no...low-attendance
Old 11-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
My dude, it's a perfect comparison. Sports, like movies, are entertainment. That are products of corporate ventures that exist to make money.

You can talk about how sport is different, the same way I could talk about film and art being different, but you can't remove the basic fact that it's Entertaiment created by businesses trying to make money.
Careful.

Now you're either dumb or insufferable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 09:14 AM   #39
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post

Ok but, in his comparison I like Tom Cruise and I like mission impossible. So why wouldn't I go?

edit: or, if I don't like Cruise or MI, why would that be a meaningful comparison? The point is I do like hockey and the Jets. I ####ing love the Jets.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #40
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Ok but, in his comparison I like Tom Cruise and I like mission impossible. So why wouldn't I go?
You would.

That's the whole point.

But you might get a tire iron thrown at you for entering the theatre by the anti-Cruise union.

Tags
beleaguered fans , greedy owners , late stage nhl ownership