Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #81
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to post all the time. But I just don’t have the energy or patience to argue/debate with strangers anymore.

So in my case, it’s me. I’ve grown and just don’t sweat the small stuff anymore

You’ll never change anyone’s religious, political, vaccination views, etc. So I just don’t even bother anymore.

I’m now married with four kids. I couldn’t care less what others think of the UCP, Moderna, God, etc
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #82
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Damn. Objectification of women in the post game threads will be hitting an all time low. What a sad day for CP!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:44 AM   #83
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s a message board. I don’t really consider it social media, although some posters treat it as such. I do find it interesting, that some posters use the anonymous nature of the board to post things against other people that they wouldn’t dare do in person, but that’s the internet for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:59 AM   #84
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I used to post all the time. But I just don’t have the energy or patience to argue/debate with strangers anymore.

So in my case, it’s me. I’ve grown and just don’t sweat the small stuff anymore

You’ll never change anyone’s religious, political, vaccination views, etc. So I just don’t even bother anymore.

I’m now married with four kids. I couldn’t care less what others think of the UCP, Moderna, God, etc
Good for you, man.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:01 AM   #85
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Damn. Objectification of women in the post game threads will be hitting an all time low. What a sad day for CP!
When it comes to Yanet, I prefer to call it appreciation.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:07 AM   #86
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
There is growing concern that social media is bad for our mental health.
I use CP since I don't consider boards to be social media. It's just the oldschool message board for us oldies who started using them before Facebook even existed. I don't get why there is drama. If someone posts something you don't agree with just scroll past it.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:12 AM   #87
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
These types of threads are always so cringey
This, and the pile of likes that these posts get, are exactly what's wrong with CP.

If the dude wants to say goodbye, and explain himself to a place that he's contributed to for years, let him.

It's ####ing zamler. It's not cringy. It's his way of telling us to wake the hell up, and we should listen.

And if you don't want to listen, don't come into the thread and comment to begin with. You can literally go anywhere else to find a conversation you'd rather contribute to.

This isn't adding anything. It's just being ignorant and dismissive. And the piling on of people that thank it goes to show how much this judgmental group-think stuff permeates the board now.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-21-2022 at 01:14 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:28 AM   #88
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This, and the pile of likes that these posts get, are exactly what's wrong with CP.

…This isn't adding anything. It's just being ignorant and dismissive. And the piling on of people that thank it goes to show how much this judgmental group-think stuff permeates the board now.
Exactly. It isn’t enough to disagree with someone. No, you gotta express contempt for them, and then 6 or 10 or 20 other people have to pile on. What is the point of thanking a post that insults another poster except to make them feel like ####?

Some people laugh it off and say that’s just what CP is - a bunch of dudes dunking on each other. If you don’t like it, don’t post here. Well, that’s exactly what’s happening - a lot of long-time posters have grown tired of the worsening pack mentality of this board and are moving on.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-21-2022 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:46 AM   #89
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
When you leave, can I have (/repost) your gifs?
Anyone can have them, they're gifs. Always find it utterly absurd when a gif maker lays claim to them like they hired the talent, they built the set, they produced the content, etc etc. They grabbed other peoples content and threw something over top of it. Zalmur doesn't own any of that and has no right to get upset if anyone reposts it.
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #90
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
You gotta do what you gotta do. If taking a break or leaving the site is better for your mental health then that's a no-brainer. Hope things work out for you.

GTs can be toxic at times, but I don't think they're as bad as some people make them out to be. They are rollercoasters. And the team has been so good this season that the PGTs have been overall pretty fun.

I stopped visiting FB years ago and it was a great decision for me. Don't miss it one bit. And twitter can be brutal, but it also depends who you're following and reading. I stopped following a lot of political accounts this past year and I've noticed a big difference. I just try to stick to sports for the most part.

As a mod I'll just say what I've said dozens of times over the years.....please report posts that you think we need to look at. We cannot read every single post on here. We just don't. So if there's something that definitely needs to be taken care of please let us know. And also some self-moderation would be a big help to everyone here. We all can get wound up at times over whatever subject it is we're passionate about, but try pretending that person is sitting across from you IRL. Would you still talk to them the same, versus thinking it's just some random person on the internet that you can talk to like garbage?

This place is supposed to be fun. The internet can be a dark, toxic and depressing place. Let's try to keep this place fun.
Twitter is to me a much better avenue for getting Flames content because you can stick to the guys who report on the team. Ryan Pike, Darren Hayes, etc....these guys do an amazing job and I love their takes.

Not sure about the mods side. On one hand the digs at people aren't necessarily ban or warning worthy, but I guess if you add them up over a long period of time (like what Zamler has been dealing with in regards to the EV threads), it just gets to the point where there isn't much purpose in sticking around anymore.

Honestly not sure what to do about any of this. It is to me very much reflective of how the entire world is these days. As soon as you show interest in a subject or post your perspective there will always be people who take shots at you.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #91
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Everybody is replaceable!
Try and be more civil, check your tone, self awareness and don’t be a hater.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #92
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Exactly. It isn’t enough to disagree with someone. No, you gotta express contempt for them, and then 6 or 10 or 20 other people have to pile on. What is the point of thanking a post that insults another poster except to make them feel like ####?

Some people laugh it off and say that’s just what CP is - a bunch of dudes dunking on each other. If you don’t like it, don’t post here. Well, that’s exactly what’s happening - a lot of long-time posters have grown tired of the worsening pack mentality of this board and are moving on.
LO-fataing-L

Cliff, you just thanked the below post before writing the above one. You just did the literal exact thing you're admonishing us for doing. The only difference is you're zigging while everyone else is zagging. There's no conspiracy here. We don't all pm each other and pick what we're going to like and who we're going to gang up on. You happen to hold a set of values/opinions/perspectives that generally positions you on the less popular side of most issues we talk about in OT. Just own it. It's fine. I like that you're here and your posts are perfectly reasonable and a nice counter to a lot of things, but you gotta cool it on the victim mentality.

The OP was cringe to some of us. If you can't see why, then that's part of what makes your perspective super entertaining around here. But we're not a pack out for blood. Half the people who thanked that post will be name calling and arguing with the other half one thread over. It's the great part about this place. You can fight a guy in one thread and be his best friend in the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

If the dude wants to say goodbye, and explain himself to a place that he's contributed to for years, let him.

It's ####ing zamler. It's not cringy. It's his way of telling us to wake the hell up, and we should listen.

And if you don't want to listen, don't come into the thread and comment to begin with. You can literally go anywhere else to find a conversation you'd rather contribute to.

This isn't adding anything. It's just being ignorant and dismissive. And the piling on of people that thank it goes to show how much this judgmental group-think stuff permeates the board now.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #93
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The one thing I'll say is that if want this place to be better - we all need to be better. It's easy to point the finger at "others" without looking in the mirror and asking if you can be better. I would say we all have moments where we are defensive, or snarky or whatever.

You want this place to be better? Be better.
Sometimes in order to self moderate, one needs a touchstone.

That comes from.up high.

Want your clergy to be better? Lead better.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #94
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find some peace Zamler. Be well.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #95
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

That comes from.up high.

So zamler is leaving because the mods aren't doing a good enough job. Good grief. This thread is madness.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:46 AM   #96
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

That comes from.up high.

Adults should be able to control their behaviour
Again it’s in the hands of all of us. Want this place to be better? Start with yourself
Old 05-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #97
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I, for one, find blaming Textcritic for most things gets me through my day-to-day. I realized why stop at CP? High gas prices? Textcritic. Monkeypox? Textcritic. My own inability to be a functioning adult on the internet? Textcritic.

Edit - ####, said his name three times.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:50 AM   #98
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Adults should be able to control their behaviour
Again it’s in the hands of all of us. Want this place to be better? Start with yourself
We aren't dealing with just adults though are we?

Again, you're saying everyone needs to be better. I agree, but somewhere up the line some standards need some improvement as well. That embodies the very term "everyone" right?
Old 05-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #99
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So zamler is leaving because the mods aren't doing a good enough job. Good grief. This thread is madness.
Clearly not. But if we as individual posters need to be better than the standard has to be set better. Obviously a little self reflection is key but let's nclude those in positions of overall responsibility in the grand sweeping statement of let's all be better.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #100
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope to see you back zamler, sucks when one of the good ones leaves.
Closed Thread