Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #3741
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I don't know if you understand how the cap works. The Flames have Monahan on a value second contract. It appears likely that he will outperform his 6.375 million per season for the next 6 years.

Tavares will likely cost between 9 and 11 million a year for 7 years. It is unlikely that he would outperform that contract.

And on top of that you are suggesting that we add a defensive prospect and something else to that deal.
9M for an 80 point elite forward? Sounds like a steal to me
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #3742
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Oh and Tavares hasn't had a single point in 6 straight games.
Oh wow six games!
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #3743
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
9M for an 80 point elite forward? Sounds like a steal to me
80pts twice in an 8 year career. Tavares is great but to suggest Monahan++ is horrible for the Flames. Adding Tavares is a yes for me but not at the expense of Monahan
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #3744
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think teams have plans based on need, not just a line that goes to the NHL that forms at the back of the room.

If any of Monahan, Backlund or Bennett get hurt than he would be obvious, but I have a feeling that he would aslo get the call if any of the top 5 wingers get hurt (I say 5 because right now there seems to be one guy that goes 3rd line to 4th line to out of the lineup currently)
I agree, except "need" could be necessitated by a lack of quality on the current team or poor results. For example, lets say the Flames lose today, and then lose another two or three...

I think Bennett has been ok, certainly no reason to give up on him. On the other hand Versteeg and Ferland have clearly been below par and can be improved on. If their performance continues to be unimpressive, it has a similar impact to an injury and I believe management will make a move to Jankowski and move Bennett to the wing.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #3745
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
80pts twice in an 8 year career. Tavares is great but to suggest Monahan++ is horrible for the Flames. Adding Tavares is a yes for me but not at the expense of Monahan
His career points per game is would put him at an average of 76 points per 82 games played. Monahan has never been close to that once. And that's also despite playing with a lot of "meh" players over the years. Put him with Gaudreau and he probably hits at least 85 points. Probably more.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #3746
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any guesses as to what their "plan" is for this guy? I thought they had one. Frustrating, because they could really use him
Old 10-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #3747
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love the way that Tavares has lead the Islanders to the cup or cup finals so many times through his singular dominance.

It's almost like there's a whole list of other TEAM components that comprise perennial cup contenders.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #3748
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Any guesses as to what their "plan" is for this guy? I thought they had one. Frustrating, because they could really use him
My guess will be that we will see him called up last this year (December) or in January - and then he'll stick from there.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #3749
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still don't support icing less than your best team. That is an organizational fail, and to me the developmental excuse is just that. Jankowski, by the teams own admission, is ready.

Tonight F Hamilton is playing, and there is absolutely no reason he should be playing over Jankowski, in either league.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #3750
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default With the 21st overall pick Flames select C Mark Jankowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post

I would guess that he has been told he will be up with the team as soon as they are able to shed some bodies. The Flames are clearly not content to send players back through waivers at this point for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-21-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #3751
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
His career points per game is would put him at an average of 76 points per 82 games played. Monahan has never been close to that once. And that's also despite playing with a lot of "meh" players over the years. Put him with Gaudreau and he probably hits at least 85 points. Probably more.
74pts but that is still impressive. You don’t trade a 23 year old who scored 58pts last year with 6 years left on his deal at $6.5M plus multiple other assets for a 27 year old that we have to pay $8-$12M per season until he is 36.

I wouldn’t want to trade Brodie for Burns for the same reason
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 05:39 PM   #3752
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Every day I look into this topic and every day I see Jankowski being mentioned as a replacement for Freddie Hamilton or Tanner Glass.

He's not coming up until there's room in the top 9.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #3753
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Every day I look into this topic and every day I see Jankowski being mentioned as a replacement for Freddie Hamilton or Tanner Glass.

He's not coming up until there's room in the top 9.
You make room in the top 9 by moving Sam Bennett to the wing and bumping Ferland to the 4th line with Stajan and Brouwer. Send Glass or Hamilton to the AHL. Seems pretty straight forward to me?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #3754
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
You make room in the top 9 by moving Sam Bennett to the wing and bumping Ferland to the 4th line with Stajan and Brouwer. Send Glass or Hamilton to the AHL. Seems pretty straight forward to me?
Glass is a role-player, and nobody else on the roster can play that particular role. Hamilton seems to be on the roster as a package deal with his brother. Clearly the Flames' management does not think sending either of them down is an option at this point.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #3755
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I can't figure out. Did the Flames have no intention of having a roster spot available for Jankowski to earn? Or did they hold out that possibility, but something changed?

If the former, then that's a pretty disappointing approach by management. If the latter, then what, exactly, changed?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #3756
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If the former, then that's a pretty disappointing approach by management. If the latter, then what, exactly, changed?
Jagr and Glass happened. If either of those guys were not on the roster, I suspect Jankowski would be up and Stajan playing wing.

It seems to me like Glass is playing that time-honoured role, the Coach's Pet Potato. Potatoes can't score, check, or skate, but they give everything they've got every shift, such as it is. If any of the good players can't seriously outplay Glass on a given night, they have earned a royal tongue-lashing.

When Dave King was coaching the Flames, Kevin Dahl was the pet potato. He was basically an AHL-quality defenceman, but he was the first guy to actually block a shot when the rest of the players were too high and mighty for the job. After that, he had a safe NHL job until King was fired.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #3757
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never heard the term Pet Potato. But I like it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #3758
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is what I can't figure out. Did the Flames have no intention of having a roster spot available for Jankowski to earn? Or did they hold out that possibility, but something changed?

There was that rumour from a legit source that Brouwer had been traded. Maybe that fell apart at the last minute and screwed things up?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #3759
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
There was that rumour from a legit source that Brouwer had been traded. Maybe that fell apart at the last minute and screwed things up?
It wasn't a legit source, though
Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #3760
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I saw in training camp was that Jankowski only played at centre. There was a spot or two open on the wing but Mark wasn't given that opportunity for whatever reason.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: