Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #661
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I guess my point is that there is a demographic that is MUCH more at risk, and MUCH likely to wind up in the hospital and overwhelm the health care system.

That demographic should be targeted in regards to the booster.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #662
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I guess my point is that there is a demographic that is MUCH more at risk, and MUCH likely to wind up in the hospital and overwhelm the health care system.

They are aren't they? I mean up until like 2 weeks ago - no one under a certain age could even get a booster in most places.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #663
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

They are

NACI has its strongest recommendations for immunocompromised and older people and it’s softer recommendation for the rest of population. This does need to start being pushed out at the provincial level which they just started doing opening up fourth doses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #664
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://covid-tracker.chi-csm.ca/

Stampede bump...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #665
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Didn’t the sixth wave hit everywhere?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #666
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you follow the link and click around other places they don't have this new bump. Edmonton had one a little earlier, but it was only one sample so could just be a bad one. Will be interesting to see if it keeps rising in Calgary for awhile.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #667
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you follow the link and click around other places they don't have this new bump. Edmonton had one a little earlier, but it was only one sample so could just be a bad one. Will be interesting to see if it keeps rising in Calgary for awhile.
If it is concentrated in the stampede going population this is Probably good timing heading into fall to get immunity up.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #668
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If it is concentrated in the stampede going population this is Probably good timing heading into fall to get immunity up.
Well ya, but anyone getting it at the Stampede will have spread it to everyone in their family, and probably work too, since no one is wearing masks anymore. I kinda suspect it will rise for awhile here.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #669
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Stampede, didn't get Covid. Whee.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM   #670
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well ya, but anyone getting it at the Stampede will have spread it to everyone in their family, and probably work too, since no one is wearing masks anymore. I kinda suspect it will rise for awhile here.
Your statement of claim that they will or would have spread it to everyone in close contact is a bit hyperbolic.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:45 PM   #671
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Your statement of claim that they will or would have spread it to everyone in close contact is a bit hyperbolic.
Well, most people who haven't had it recently. Given how contagious it is and how few protections people are using I don't think it's too far off. Most anecdotal stories I've heard from families is it hits everyone, or everyone less one in a household over a few weeks.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #672
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, most people who haven't had it recently. Given how contagious it is and how few protections people are using I don't think it's too far off. Most anecdotal stories I've heard from families is it hits everyone, or everyone less one in a household over a few weeks.
That’s where the personal responsibility kicks in. If you are going to Grandmas or have an immunocompromised person maybe put a week gap between that and drinking in beer tents for a week.

At this point it’s just start the booster campaign for winter. These smaller blips aren’t that concerning.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #673
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

My unvaccinated brother caught covid last week in Calgary after attending the Stampede and visiting relatives. Not a surprise considering he isn't protected and doesn't wear a mask. But then he came home and visited my elderly mother. He claims he tested negative before he visited her and didn't develop symptoms till later that week; but he should have stayed away from her for a period after he got back. We're pretty livid about it. She didn't catch it, which is a relief. She's fully vaccinated and was boosted twice. As far as his health, apparently he's feeling a lot better and will be fine, according to our mother.

Last edited by Drak; 07-26-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #674
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
My unvaccinated brother caught covid last week in Calgary after attending the Stampede and visiting relatives. Not a surprise considering he isn't protected and doesn't wear a mask. But then he came home and visited my elderly mother. He claims he tested negative before he visited her and didn't develop symptoms till later that week; but he should have stayed away from her for a period after he got back. We're pretty livid about it. She didn't catch it, which is a relief. She's fully vaccinated and was boosted twice. As far as his health, apparently he's feeling a lot better and will be fine, according to our mother.
Focusing on vaccination status here is a red herring. A vaccinated or even recently boosted person is not substantially less likely to acquire or transmit Covid relative to the consequence. So when you are discussing killing your Mom the precautions you and your brother take should be the same regardless of vaccination status. Vaccination makes a difference at the societal level at the individual level the risks remain.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #675
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Focusing on vaccination status here is a red herring. A vaccinated or even recently boosted person is not substantially less likely to acquire or transmit Covid relative to the consequence. So when you are discussing killing your Mom the precautions you and your brother take should be the same regardless of vaccination status. Vaccination makes a difference at the societal level at the individual level the risks remain.
I was just relating a personal story. Probably should have posted in the other thread. But I agree about precautions. Considering how contagious Covid strains can be, I’m happy she didn’t catch it as of yet.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:23 PM   #676
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
I was just relating a personal story. Probably should have posted in the other thread. But I agree about precautions. Considering how contagious Covid strains can be, I’m happy she didn’t catch it as of yet.
I wasn’t trying to criticize just to reiterate that everyone needs to be careful around the immunocompromised now that most people aren’t taking any safeguards.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #677
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and kid came back from New Brunswick with covid, this is their second time each and I still haven't caught it. Its still very coincidental that out of all of my family Me, my sister, and my dad haven't caught it and my mom who works at the hospital has had it a couple times now also. The two of us have obvious genes on my dads side, I look just like him etc, my brothers both have characteristics of my moms side. Whatever it is in our blood/genetics seems to be helping.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #678
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems to be more or less luck of the draw. My wife didn't catch covid when I got it earlier in the year and she was with me the whole time, we went everywhere and she never caught it. She thought she was invincible and I was just a hypochondriac with long covid.

Her luck finally ran out in June and she got it pretty bad. And now she has long covid as well.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #679
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
It seems to be more or less luck of the draw. My wife didn't catch covid when I got it earlier in the year and she was with me the whole time, we went everywhere and she never caught it. She thought she was invincible and I was just a hypochondriac with long covid.

Her luck finally ran out in June and she got it pretty bad. And now she has long covid as well.
The long covid seems so random as well. My family has gone through 3 different covid infections to varying symptoms. But every time I seem to get the worse of the symptoms for the immediate sickness but without any lingering effects. My wife's had a much easier time for the initial sickness, less coughing, lower fever, but the long covid symptoms have stayed with her for months after.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:20 PM   #680
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn’t trying to criticize just to reiterate that everyone needs to be careful around the immunocompromised now that most people aren’t taking any safeguards.
People were told for a long time vaccination stopped transmission. Not a surprise that MANY still think its true when it very clearly isn't.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote