Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2024, 10:13 AM   #4521
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of feeling like Resident Alien has run its course for me. The first season was fun and hilarious, but the last two seasons have been increasingly convoluted and I'm not really digging a lot of the characters' developments. Tudyk is really hamming it up as Harry and it's stealing away his charm.

Too bad because I really liked this show, but I may have to pull the plug.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:28 AM   #4522
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Kind of feeling like Resident Alien has run its course for me. The first season was fun and hilarious, but the last two seasons have been increasingly convoluted and I'm not really digging a lot of the characters' developments. Tudyk is really hamming it up as Harry and it's stealing away his charm.

Too bad because I really liked this show, but I may have to pull the plug.
I have similar thoughts, I absolutely loved the show and started a thread on it.

It feels like it needs to wrap up, as these types of stories do. They don't have long legs, or shouldn't.

But the Sheriff and Deputy are still a quality relationship

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:00 AM   #4523
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crushed the majority of Ripley (Netflix) this weekend.

I admit i have not read the book, so tonally I am comparing it to The Talented Mr. Ripley Movie.

I also want to admit that I absolutely love the Talented Mr. Ripley. It is a solid flick and has some of the best performances for the characters. Matt Damon, playing a conflicted and infatuated loser; Jude Law just playing Jude Law - a charismatic, directionless man-child; and Seymour Hoffman playing the insufferable ###### Freddy. Even Paltrow playing Marge was worthy of accolades for her innocence. The Talented Mr. Ripley is what Saltburn wanted to be - and all the Gen Z fawning over Saltburn (which i liked) need to check out this movie.

It's a high bar to meet, and i would at least thank the Producers of this for not trying to re-hash the original - because i dont think they could.

But this adaptation is largely a miss for me.

The Good: Andrew Scott is great in this, I cannot deny his acting abilities. The last few episodes really focused on the cover-up aspect - something that wasn't glossed over in the film, but is restricted due to the run-time of movies. That is probably where this adaptation shines; however, it can come across as exceeding slow at times. Cinematography was great, if again slow.

The Bad: The hitchockian tone felt a bit out of place to me; however, i say that as someone who hasn't read the book. Maybe that was what the author was going for. There appeared to be too much focus on the "art-house" of it. There were some really long scenes that didnt add much: the "stair" scene when first arriving in Atrano; the boat scene; etc.

One thing that i did not appreciate (but not worth a move to the "ugly" section was the films use of black and white. Its part of the adapted tone of this one, but in the film, they did such a great job of showing the beauty of italy and the town they were in. It was easy to see why Dickie lived there and why Tom wanted to stay there. It felt more isolating in this one.

The Ugly: Aside from Andrew Scott (who, is a little old to be playing this role) the casting was a huge ####ing miss. Dickie was a bore. No reason why anyone would be captivated by that man. Freddie was a complete miscast - my lord. what the hell was that? Were Freddie and Dickie friends? could've fooled me that they didn't know each other one bit. Dakota Fanning as Marge was fine, but again, nothing showed me that she was in love with Dickie one bit - who could've been? the dude was a complete bum.

Talented Mr. Ripley does so well in showing you why Marge and Tom are fascinated with Dickie. It's so easy to see, in the portrayals, why Tom would become obsessed with the life. Law does such a wonderful job of turning on him in the climax.

I honestly gave up at Episode 3. I didnt see the passion at all, and i found some of the writing to be off - but perhaps it was because the characters were so flat, it put more attention on the dialogue. I am glad the next 5 episodes sort of recovered, but i was still checked out for most of it.

I would love to hear thoughts from people who have seen the movie; but also from people who havent. It is probably a much better show when not comparing it to the film.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 10:05 PM   #4524
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite Swedish actress Rebecca Ferguson confirmed that Silo 2 finished filming in March, should drop on Apple late winter.

Rumors are The Old Man is finishing season 2 as well.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 11:06 PM   #4525
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the same issues with Ripley.

Scott is way too old for the role - he’s 47, and the Ripley character in the book is 26. The whole premise is that he’s been out of college for a few years and at loose ends. But in the Netflix show, he comes across as a middle-aged loser. The scene where he meets Dickie’s parents and they’re all paternal towards him is just weird when the character has thinning hair and the face and posture of a man entering middle age.

Scott also plays him as totally lacking in charm. Yes, Ripley is supposed to be a sociopath. But he’s able to mask it with ingratiating charm. You don’t get that in this portrayal. He plays Ripley as a socially awkward weirdo. There’s no reason why a bon vivant like Dickie would enjoy having him around. He’s a total downer.

Yes, the Netflix show looks nice. But it falls on its face in the casting and characterization. And it’s so slow. We were done after two episodes.

The movie with Damon and Law was much better. Law in particular was excellent - spoiled and entitled, but also charming and magnetic.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-08-2024 at 11:11 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 08:20 PM   #4526
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

My god, Shogun is just so good.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 01:56 AM   #4527
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
My god, Shogun is just so good.
I've heard enough, time to fire it up
Old 04-10-2024, 10:28 PM   #4528
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked Shogun, but reading subtitles isn't my idea of grand entertainment. part of me wishes they had done the thing where it was only in Japanese when Anjin was in the room, and not meant to be understanding what they were saying, but Japanese to Japanese would be in English, and as he learned some Japanese, English would slowly bleed more and more into the show.

Some might call it lazy, maybe it's my moderate form of Dyslexia. I just have a massive preference for having my entertainment in English.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:14 AM   #4529
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I've heard enough, time to fire it up
It has surpassed game of thrones for me.

That last episode arc.... Holy eff. The emotion and intensity in that war room...

Sent from my SM-F946W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:30 AM   #4530
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I liked Shogun, but reading subtitles isn't my idea of grand entertainment. part of me wishes they had done the thing where it was only in Japanese when Anjin was in the room, and not meant to be understanding what they were saying, but Japanese to Japanese would be in English, and as he learned some Japanese, English would slowly bleed more and more into the show.

Some might call it lazy, maybe it's my moderate form of Dyslexia. I just have a massive preference for having my entertainment in English.
There is a dubbed version if it's really that bad for you. Found it on Hulu.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:22 AM   #4531
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've been watching more and more TV and film with subtitles, sometimes for the necessity of the show and sometimes for my own benefit (getting older). It feels like I get more out of a show that I can both hear and read, maybe because it makes me pay attention. I used to hate subtitles.

Warrior fluctuates between Chinese and English often in the show, but the way they transition languages for a primarily Western audience is quite creative. If the scene starts in Chinese they will pan the camera around the back of a character and by the time the camera movement is done the characters are speaking English. The only time they use both languages is when there is meant to be a language barrier between characters.

With the influx of international stories produced in the West I hope more projects take that influence from Warrior.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 10:25 AM   #4532
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Personally I hate dubbed. To each their own, but especially for this series, listening to them speak Japanese, even though I don't understand, makes it all that much better and more encompassing.

I also grew up with Chinese Kung Fu movies, and hated the dubbed versions as I also felt it took away from the over movie. My OCD or whatever it may be, can't reconcile that lips don't correspond with sound.

I also feel that things are lost in translation. While I may not understand Japanese, my Japanese friend absolutely loves the subtleties and nuances that only can be delivered in Japanese. Exact same thing I feel when watching Hong Kong/Chinese movies/shows. If it were dubbed, it would lose a bit of the context
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 11:40 AM   #4533
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
It has surpassed game of thrones for me.

That last episode arc.... Holy eff. The emotion and intensity in that war room...

Sent from my SM-F946W using Tapatalk
I actually teared up a little during that scene.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:24 PM   #4534
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I actually teared up a little during that scene.
ME TOO! That single scene and sequence was so emotionally draining. Between both Hiromatsu and Torunaga, then to bring on Buntaro as well into that arc. I was like holy effff... i can't go to sleep feeling like this. lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 01:03 PM   #4535
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All I can say is the next episode promises to be an absolute BANGER.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:14 PM   #4536
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do like Tokyo Vice but boy Ken Watanabe does a lot of the heavy lifting.

Last edited by sketchyt; 04-12-2024 at 09:28 AM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:11 PM   #4537
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just for all of the great reviews that Shogun has received, one thing I feel no guilt about being is a spoiled English person that has spent his entire life getting the best media in the world in my language.

And while some others might loud it, I think it generally detracts from the experience for me when it's not that, weather dubbed, subtitled or foreign language.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:43 PM   #4538
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just for all of the great reviews that Shogun has received, one thing I feel no guilt about being is a spoiled English person that has spent his entire life getting the best media in the world in my language.

And while some others might loud it, I think it generally detracts from the experience for me when it's not that, weather dubbed, subtitled or foreign language.
I hate when they dub the weather.

"Its raining cats and dogs!"

Thanks guys. I can see that!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 03:19 AM   #4539
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't imagine watching a show like this that is half English/half Japanese dubbed, big part of the show are the translators.

P.S, I'm enjoying it but it's no GOT so far
Old 04-12-2024, 07:38 AM   #4540
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I can't imagine watching a show like this that is half English/half Japanese dubbed, big part of the show are the translators.

P.S, I'm enjoying it but it's no GOT so far
Haha, yeah, just thinking of that now has me laughing. Someone says something in English that's normally Japanese and the Anjin doesn't react or understand what's going on. It would paint his as mentally handicapped the entire time. Even weirder for the Japanese characters who just spoke in English, and didn't understand what was just said. Lots of weird repetition with the translations as well. It would become unwatchable pretty quickly.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote