Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #321
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowRiverBruinsRule View Post
Just had a random stop there. Well maybe not random. I stop there occasionally. I am somewhat worried as well. It has some good stuff I like. Valbella stuff, Avalon milk, the local soap and different stuff in the Deli. I think they have a plan.
Not quite Calgary, but Valbellas renovation is coming along swimmingly. Sadly, their chimney sticks disagree with me, so feel free to enjoy a pack for me.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #322
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Houses, restaurants and retail are all being optimized to a perfect standard by a few major builders/companies.

I mean even look within Calgary. Our new communities are all exactly the same. Same looking houses, same shopping district, same restaurants. They're barely distinguishable.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #323
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Calgary is getting a Decathlon store at Southcentre. I shopped at a few in Europe and they were like Sportchek on steroids. Could be a good alternative to MEC and Sportchek.

https://curiocity.com/calgary-to-get...estern-canada/

I remember loading up on stuff there when we visited the Netherlands. Hope the prices are good and they carry similar stock.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #324
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I remember loading up on stuff there when we visited the Netherlands. Hope the prices are good and they carry similar stock.
They're already out east so you can check out the Canadian website for the type of stock and prices they'll have.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #325
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
They're already out east so you can check out the Canadian website for the type of stock and prices they'll have.

https://www.decathlon.ca/en/
Interesting - this reminds me of Mountain Warehouse in Market Mall. Prices are reasonable, but it's all house brands / lesser brands. So that means Quecha jackets, not North Face or Arcteryx.

Will that succeed? Time will tell.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #326
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Decathlon is the Walmart of sports equipment, with off-brand / no-brand stuff filled the store. I am not sure how successful it will be in a "snobby" city like Calgary where there are way more latter-sippers than Timmies chuckers...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #327
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a lot of hoopla over Sporting Life opening at Southcentre a few years ago. But whenever I go there it’s dead. It’s also expensive. So maybe a downmarket sporting store will do better.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #328
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

This tells you how low Southcenter has become. While Chinook is kicking out the "cheap" stores in favour of bring in the likes of Louis Vuitton, Southcenter is inviting Dollarama and Winners. I remember a time when both malls are pretty much equal status...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #329
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While I share the concerns about creeping sameness, I wanted to share this hopeful story. I stopped by Silk Road to buy a few things last weekend and was chatting with the clerk about how I had finally worked through the huge order I placed at the beginning of the pandemic. She said many of their customers were similarly worried and placed big orders, to the extent they had to totally reconfigure their warehouse arrangements. In context it sounded like the business was doing really well, and certainly they expressed deep gratitude for their customers.

I love shopping there, it's a special place. Feels like something that escaped from Heritage Park.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #330
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Silk Road is one of those few absolute gems. Independent, Fantastic products, interesting choices, awesome shopping environment, staff that are actually nice to deal with. One of those places you don’t really want to leave.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #331
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Interesting - this reminds me of Mountain Warehouse in Market Mall. Prices are reasonable, but it's all house brands / lesser brands. So that means Quecha jackets, not North Face or Arcteryx.

Will that succeed? Time will tell.

I don’t know about some of their other items, but the clothes were a pretty good deal and have lasted a long time.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #332
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyone else concerned about the lack of future large parks in this City to semi- keep up with population growth?

I see Fish creek being closed off in the south to future development and from I understand the Community planning document, it isn't really pro-parks.

Calgary is pretty spoiled, and as population increases, it would be nice to stay spoiled with extending our massive park system.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it's one of the reasons why I don't think they should develop Highland Park golf course. It's already a travesty it's been sitting 15 years in a not very usable state. Once you develop inner city parks, you never get them back. They need to daylight the creek, and build a pathway, but other than that, leave it as is.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #334
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Found on reddit today:

Last edited by Mull; 06-17-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #335
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
This tells you how low Southcenter has become. While Chinook is kicking out the "cheap" stores in favour of bring in the likes of Louis Vuitton, Southcenter is inviting Dollarama and Winners. I remember a time when both malls are pretty much equal status...
Southcenter still has Sporting Life which is upmarket. They had to bring in whatever tenants they could as they had the large Sears anchor that had been sitting empty for 3 years now aside from temporary stints as a cheap furniture store. To fill that space, they expanded the smaller retail, added Dollarama, Winners, and now Decathlon. They also still have Pottery Barn which is upmarket.

Market Mall faced the same thing when Target closed but they repurposed that into Winners on the outside, Zara on the inside, and a few other stores.

Chinook has also had quite a bit of turnover during the pandemic and have a bunch of no-name stores popping up.

I still personally miss Target.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #336
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I prefer this one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #337
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The Beacon Hill 'Power' Centre needs to be completely nuked from existence. Who the #### designed that ####hole?
The worst.

A chasm of chaos and pure evil.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #338
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The Beacon Hill 'Power' Centre needs to be completely nuked from existence. Who the #### designed that ####hole?
Even the Costco there is terrible - about 3/4 the size of a full one and it's meant to service the entire NW quadrant... It's perpetually crammed.

If a big box had to go into the old Sunnyside Greenhouse lands.... you might have gotten me there on a Costco for the inner city....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #339
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
The worst.

A chasm of chaos and pure evil.
Westhills is way worse.

The area down by Copperfield is also a total mess.

But these areas are designed so that cars go slowly.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand power centres. I'm much happier visiting the stand alone Rona, HD, Safeway, Superstore, Costco, or CT(before it moved to Deerfoot City). Why are we building our cities like this? Is it just cheaper to build them this way? Need less individual parking? What's the actual benefit? I think they are all horrendous and rarely pull in to one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote