Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 11:02 AM   #21
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Usually cinnamon raisin toast or vector with bran buds and a coffee
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My schedule is all messed up, but usually my first meal of the day is a coffee and a couple pieces of toast. What I have on it changes, but it's usually pb, pb&j or nutella.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I was first introduced to this while in holiday in Greece. Which incidentally, is where I am now. It really works.
I'm gonna have to try it. I guess it just adds a little sesame seasoning to things, which I do like.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breakfast is for chumps and the weak.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:14 PM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm a breakfast hater. Three meals a day and breakfast to set you up for success, etc. was always marketing propaganda from the food industry that our parents bought into - and combined with the foods we were often forced to eat as kids before school - sugary cereals, sugar-laden yogurts, carb-loaded toasts, etc. it led to a lot of obesity and unhealthy habits as adults.

I struggled to get rid of the habit of eating breakfast and my life has been better for it. Breakfast to me is like dessert - you should only have it occasionally like on the weekends as a treat.

Black coffee is all you need and I typically don't eat until noon. I often skip dinner these days as well as again - set meals never worked for me. The only scientifically proven way to stay young and extend your life is calorie restriction so I'm moving towards one-meal a day/intermittent fasting windows as I try to get healthier after Covid work from home made binging too convenient.

If you must eat breakfast, do yourself a favor and explore what other cultures have for breakfast, it's night and day compared to our bland & unhealthy western staples:

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-15-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #26
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I eat an apple while I walk to the office, then have a coffee at the office when I arrive. If I get hungry before lunch, I'll have a probiotic yogurt. Occasionally, I'll have a bagel with my coffee but try not to daily. On the weekends, I go a bit stupid and have a full breakfast, with the works, like toast, sausages, eggs, bacon, etc.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #27
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Man, all the power to you. I understand this is an Australian staple, but I cannot do it and can't understand how it ever became a food. And I can eat anything.

Coffee, but I generally eat my lunch around 11 to answer the original question.
You are confusing Vegemite and Marmite.

Marmite is English and tastes awesome

Vegemite is Aussie and tastes like a Wish knock off.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #28
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

You may be right. I was pretty young when I tried it and I 100% know it was vegemite, but I thought I recalled also having marmite and thinking they were both similar. Just salty and disgusting. My youngest brother was introduced as a baby and loved it.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:53 PM   #29
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't eaten breakfast regularly for several decades. I literally get a bit ill if I eat solid foods less than an hour or two after waking up, so I've been inadvertently doing intermittent fasting for a long time now.

Work days it's typically black coffee, maybe the occasional small snack just before lunch. Lunch or brunch is typically the first meal of the day for me. I will say though that for some days, I find that a light soup or congee is a good breakfast for me. Not porridge or sugary or other greasy stuff though. I find I'm ultra bloated if I do dim sum without a congee. A small well seasoned chicken soup, macaroni soup or vegetable soup with a greasy meal (bacon, sausage etc.) feels good. Less bloating and less food coma.

On weekends though, I agree with Hack & Lube that treating it like a dessert meal/snack. I don't mind doing brunch, but I still don't typically do breakfast. I'll go all out brunch wise and skip lunch though. I'll make things ranging from duck confit, waffles, the typical brunch/Stampede breakfast staples, fruit, soup, bread/toast with spread, steak, meatballs, dim sum etc.

It's also so easy to set the sous vide the night before and do something "fancy" for brunch whenever convenient on the weekend. The sous vide is an absolute meal prep cheat code and it's so easy to prep brunch for family + friends and just roll out of bed 30-45 minutes before and finish it off for everyone to enjoy. It's nuts how damn easy duck confit is to make with a sous vide and because it's sous vide, you can have it for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner the next day or the day after. The downside is the meat is considered too tender to some people after 36-48 hours, but it isn't even that big of a downside IMO.

I'm very proficient with a knife and I find slicing and dicing veggies for a meal a little therapeutic at times, but for other days, grabbing a dicing machine/press chopper thing + auto peeler is the way to go. Again, they're meal prep cheat codes and I highly recommend them for those who do not enjoy the menial tasks relating to food prep.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #30
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4-5 eggs with hotsauce and toast

Or a big bowl of steel cut oats with almond milk and coconut flakes.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:07 PM   #31
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

During the week it really varies, from a banana to a smoothie to last nights left overs or nothing.... But on weekends I love making breakfast; Omelets, Scramblers, Breakfast Casserole. I will buy ground pork or turkey and make my own sausage patties with fried eggs and hash browns. Poached eggs over hash brown patties is something I really like too. Making breakfast on weekends is in one of my top 5 things to do, I'm just always looking forward to it.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-15-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #32
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Black coffee to start day, mango smoothy @ 11 am. I prefer to avoid breads as much as possible, especially in the morning.

Perfect Mango Smoothy:
Frozen Mango Chunks
Banana
50/50 Mango Juice/Water
Yogurt (Peach is best)
Spinach
Berries/Seasonal Fruits/etc.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #33
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love a good breakfast of olive oiled sourdough toast, tomatoes, eggs and bacon but I don't have time for it during a week, so it's a weekend treat for me. Weekdays - I am happy with a protein shake I make with some berries, half banana and green tea (or yogurt, or some other juice) and espresso. This keeps me full almost until dinner. I don't really crave for lunch anymore, although I might have something small at 1-2pm, like a few granola bar crumbles or chips.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #34
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm moving towards one-meal a day/intermittent fasting windows
My parents do some of this and it seems to work well for them; seems a natural fit with people who dislike breakfast to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you must eat breakfast, do yourself a favor and explore what other cultures have for breakfast, it's night and day compared to our bland & unhealthy western staples:
Good video, yeah our "dessert for breakfast" approach is definitely kind of weird.

I wanted to start doing egg fried rice (with brown rice) for breakfast but I forgot about it, that video reminded me! Time to get some rice made up for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #35
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Always found the idea of breakfast interesting. I think it should be tied to the idea of what you are doing right after breakfast. If you work a physical job where you need calories, then eating breakfast is probably a good idea. But if you sit at a desk with minimal physical exertion, is it really beneficial to eat breakfast? Or eat anything till a few hours into the work day?

I think there is enough scientific data to show that there is a benefit to taking more time between meals. Eat supper at 7PM, not eat anything till 10-12AM. So always found it interesting that our society has somehow gotten this idea that you HAVE to eat as soon as you get up in the morning.
I eat supper at 6 pm and that’s usually the last thing I eat all day. So by 7 am (an hour after I wake up), I’ve already gone over 12 hours without eating. I’m genuinely hungry.

Most cultures have breakfast. Maybe not the eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes etc that North America is famous for. But something. The best breakfast tradition I’ve enjoyed is in Turkey. Freshly baked bread, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta or goat cheese, and sweet tea.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I'm neither British nor Australian but I love Marmite after trying it on the shelves! When I do eat toast or cheese, I add a bit of marmite and I've added it to gravies as well.

It's basically British soy sauce paste that you can use like a strong balsamic!
Old 08-15-2022, 04:20 PM   #37
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salad with a couple sliced up hard boiled eggs. Not too heavy on the stomach, perfect to get through to lunch.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #38
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Usually a half cup of oats, tablespoon of chia seeds and hemp hearts. Then add an equal amount of milk, oat milk, almond milk or whatever you prefer. I usually add some honey or maple syrup and maybe vanilla. Leave over night in the fridge then add some fruit in the morning if you want.

Great little breakfast.
I have done this for a couple years but I would make a bigger batch for the week and leave in the fridge. Usually would make it with protein powder and water for the liquid. Add yogurt and fruit to it in the bowl each morning.

I am now trying 16:8 fasting. No eats between 8pm and noon next day. So basically do not each till lunch. Coffee, tea or any non caloric liquids. A couple weeks in and liking it so far.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:06 PM   #39
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I eat supper at 6 pm and that’s usually the last thing I eat all day. So by 7 am (an hour after I wake up), I’ve already gone over 12 hours without eating. I’m genuinely hungry.

Most cultures have breakfast. Maybe not the eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes etc that North America is famous for. But something. The best breakfast tradition I’ve enjoyed is in Turkey. Freshly baked bread, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta or goat cheese, and sweet tea.
I do think the highly processed high sugar 'breakfast' that has been pushed on us by big food has not done anyone any favors.

I remember eating breakfast at our hotel in Austria during a trip and I was blown away at the quality of the food.

16 hours of calorie restriction is very healthy. I've found it to seriously reduce hunger and makes it MUCH easier to control what I eat. Plus food just tastes MUCH better.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #40
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I do think the highly processed high sugar 'breakfast' that has been pushed on us by big food has not done anyone any favors.

I remember eating breakfast at our hotel in Austria during a trip and I was blown away at the quality of the food.

16 hours of calorie restriction is very healthy. I've found it to seriously reduce hunger and makes it MUCH easier to control what I eat. Plus food just tastes MUCH better.
You come to realize that the three set meals thing is either a vestige of American agricultural life, or also another push from big food. You mentioned Austria and in Austria/Germany, they don't really eat supper from when I was there. Lunch is the big meal and the evening meal is more of a cold light snack.