Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2024, 11:00 AM   #12861
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
The sad thing about the issues that voters are focusing on (i.e., inflation) is that Republican control only worsens these issues. The economy is hot, but the majority of the wealth is concentrated at the top, meaning stagnant wages really hurt when you go to the grocery store. This will only worsen with Republican control.

If anything, policy needs to shift further left to see any real gains from the economy in the hands of the middle class. Instead, they seem to be rejecting the democratics in favour of the right-wing Republicans, who have proven time and again that they will favour the wealthy at the expense of the middle class.
Nobody is shifting left, economically there are basically two right-wing parties in America.

You are correct that Republican policies favor the upper class more than the middle class, but guess what, people want themselves and their kids to be in the upper class eventually.

And this could be argued but I'm not sure the right destroys the middle class as much as the left. Theoretically, the left will funnel money downwards and the right will funnel money upwards. So depending on your definition of what middle class is and whether you're at the 60,000 spectrum of middle class or 150,000 spectrum of middle class, which would be better for you, right?

A guy making 60,000 no wife and kids renting a house will vote differently then a guy $150000 DINKWAD living in a million dollar house but is still middle class. And if you believe in trickle down economics or not.

And this is just the economic argument that most people state as their #1 issue. But that can be overshadowed by abortion rights (which i think eventually wins the election for Democrats) or gun right, republicans figeratively, and maybe literally, shooting themselves in the foot.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:01 AM   #12862
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I could be wrong but I think the Abortion issue is going to be a huge factor as to who gets in as President.
IF young people come out to vote.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:03 AM   #12863
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Nobody is shifting left, economically there are basically two right-wing parties in America.

You are correct that Republican policies favor the upper class more than the middle class, but guess what, people want themselves and their kids to be in the upper class eventually.

And this could be argued but I'm not sure the right destroys the middle class as much as the left. Theoretically, the left will funnel money downwards and the right will funnel money upwards. So depending on your definition of what middle class is and whether you're at the 60,000 spectrum of middle class or 150,000 spectrum of middle class, which would be better for you, right?

A guy making 60,000 no wife and kids renting a house will vote differently then a guy $150000 DINKWAD living in a million dollar house but is still middle class. And if you believe in trickle down economics or not.

And this is just the economic argument that most people state as their #1 issue. But that can be overshadowed by abortion rights (which i think eventually wins the election for Democrats) or gun right, republicans figeratively, and maybe literally, shooting themselves in the foot.
This has to be one of the biggest delusions Americans have convinced themselves of. "We better not tax the rich, because how will I feel one day when I'm rich and have to pay taxes? Nope, #### that. Don't you dare tax my future!"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 11:05 AM   #12864
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This has to be one of the biggest delusions Americans have convinced themselves of. "We better not tax the rich, because how will I feel one day when I'm rich and have to pay taxes? Nope, #### that. Don't you dare tax my future!"
It's worked for some and not for others.

This is especially true of immigrants. Sacrifice for my kids to be richer.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #12865
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Paging Taylor Swift.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 11:08 AM   #12866
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'll bet you the other $900 if you are up for it.

Edit to add: My bet is contingent upon the election coming down to Trump v Biden. If that's the case, I bet you $900 Trump wins (if you want to take that bet). And by win, I mean Trump becomes the next president, which I think happens whether we end up believing he wins or not. Obviously he'll lose the popular vote as Republicans basically always do, but even if there is a close call Trump is walking away with it IMO.
I don’t bet with people I don’t know.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:10 AM   #12867
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's worked for some and not for others.

This is especially true of immigrants. Sacrifice for my kids to be richer.
No, it's ridiculous. The odds are so staked against you ever getting to a level that "taxing the rich" will ever have a negative effect on your income. This is a deception on the scale of trickle down economics, but it works remarkably well because human psychology allows it to.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 11:12 AM   #12868
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No, it's ridiculous. The odds are so staked against you ever getting to a level that "taxing the rich" will ever have a negative effect on your income. This is a deception on the scale of trickle down economics, but it works remarkably well because human psychology allows it to.
If we’re going to start pointing out voters being too stupid to realize they’re voting against their own self interests we’re going to need several new threads.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #12869
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i don't know, it's a goal

why do people drive their kids to 5am practices hoping for the NHL one day?

why do people want higher tax-free saving limits then there's less taxes for services?

Old 01-23-2024, 11:16 AM   #12870
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
More like women for abortions of all ages. It cost the Republicans the red wave.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:19 AM   #12871
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
More like women for abortions of all ages. It cost the Republicans the red wave.
I view it a young vs old issue. I don't know many young men who are anti-abortion, they want freedom for women, their current or future partners.

A lot of older/religious women are anti-abortion, they're the most passionate. they're even more passionate about than men. They're the ones calling non-married pregnant women sluts.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:20 AM   #12872
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i don't know, it's a goal

why do people drive their kids to 5am practices hoping for the NHL one day?
Delusions? Same reason people buy lottery tickets? Their kids enjoy it(that should actually be the only reason)?

Quote:
why do people want higher tax-free saving limits then there's less taxes for services?
If you can afford to max it out, then it makes sense to want that, for selfish reasons of course. If you can't max it out(and look like you never will), then you are really no better than not wanting to tax the rich, same effect, same delusion.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:45 AM   #12873
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I view it a young vs old issue. I don't know many young men who are anti-abortion, they want freedom for women, their current or future partners.

A lot of older/religious women are anti-abortion, they're the most passionate. they're even more passionate about than men. They're the ones calling non-married pregnant women sluts.
The question for me is will the older/religious women show up in mass to vote Republican to deny abortions for women. I say no.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:47 AM   #12874
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The question for me is will the older/religious women show up in mass to vote Republican to deny abortions for women. I say no.
I agree, and if we’re right that’ll be a big factor in the election.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:51 AM   #12875
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Most people are not maxing out their tax-free saving limits.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:56 AM   #12876
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Republicans have policies? Have they passed a law that actually helps the country in over a year? A decade? Two sets of rules. There is no winning in any campaign run by the Democrats at this point. Their only hope is for a few americans to finally pull their heads out of their asses and realize they have been duped for decades.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #12877
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the Democrats to win, they need Trump to say publicly in a debate that he will ban abortions Federally when he becomes president. Then Democrats can run that in campaign ads day and night until election day.

If Trump skirts around the issue, Republicans will probably win. Democrats are clearly not going to do anything on their own to actually make people want to vote for them.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #12878
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Republicans have policies? Have they passed a law that actually helps the country in over a year? A decade? Two sets of rules. There is no winning in any campaign run by the Democrats at this point. Their only hope is for a few americans to finally pull their heads out of their asses and realize they have been duped for decades.
So we're screwed
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 12:02 PM   #12879
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Older/religious women vote, what else is there for them to do?

Old 01-23-2024, 12:05 PM   #12880
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, his approval rating is in he low 30s. Voters are especially dour about the economy and the high price of everything compared with before the pandemic. Fair or not, Biden is getting the blame. Inflation and cost of living is the number one issue among voters by a mile. Again, voters don't have the macro view of 24 hour new cycles and message boards. They vote based on the issue right in front of them, the prices at the grocery store. To those people, Democrats talking about this strong economy and things moving in the right direction sounds like they're living somewhere else.

Bidenomics doesn't really have strong answers to people's worries and people can't differentiate it from Trump's economic policies.
Sooooo, you can't exactly name a Biden policy or one of the "major people" speaking against it.

Inflation is down, jobs are up in the US.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote