Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #2841
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Be interesting to see how 50% of America that are women will react to this, I've always thought this was a vote killer myself
Nationally it is, although you'd be surprised what proportion of that 50% are in favour... plenty of pro-life women down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It won't stop abortion, it'll push it underground into some very dangerous situations. Very sad day in the United States.
Or into neighbouring states, at least until those states also enact similar measures.

It's worth noting that the law itself has not been upheld. Suggesting that Roe v. Wade has been overturned is pretty misleading. The court denied a remedy that would prevent it from taking effect. It can still be challenged and overturned, and the first part of that will definitely happen. If it does, and the SCOTUS upholds it as a validly enacted law, then you can say that Roe v. Wade has been effectively overturned. But there's no guarantee of that.

Of course, even if the law is ultimately struck down next year (the article I read said somewhere around June 2022 for a decision), that will come as little consolation to the people who are affected in the meantime.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #2842
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Be interesting to see how 50% of America that are women will react to this, I've always thought this was a vote killer myself
The gender difference in opinions about abortion is not that large, and until recently was about even. Pro-life maps more to religion than gender, and women in the U.S. (and pretty much everywhere else) are more religious than men.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...te-in-america/
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #2843
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
And now confirmed, the Trump experiment worked, because officially, SCOTUS just fatally wounded Roe with an actual decision. I am equally infuriated and also just so damn sad that we let this happen.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433278969240039425

Jesus H. Christ, this is just so infuriating and disappointing. Can't believe they can allow something like this to happen, even in just one state. An incredibly sad day for America.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #2844
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nationally it is, although you'd be surprised what proportion of that 50% are in favour... plenty of pro-life women down there.

Or into neighbouring states, at least until those states also enact similar measures.
Relevant data from Pew polls conducted in April of this year.

Basically it's hardcore GOP politicians playing to their hardcore base (just like mask mandates, vaccines etc). Evangelicals, those lacking post secondary education, and the elders... and even then it's niche.

https://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/...n-on-abortion/

Quote:
About two-thirds of college graduates (68%) say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, as do 61% of those with some college education. Those with a high school degree or less education are more evenly divided on the question: 50% say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 47% say it should be illegal in all or most cases.

Quote:
Among adults under age 30, 67% say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, as do 61% of adults in their 30s and 40s. Roughly half of those in their 50s and early 60s express support for legal abortion (53%); among those ages 65 and older 55% say the same.
Quote:
Majorities of both men and women express support for legal abortion, though women are somewhat more likely than men to hold this view (62% vs. 56%).
To your point, there will be significant variations from state to state - but even Texas in 2014 was about 45/50 with the majority being anti-choice. I'd expect lower now as Trump has driven many non-lunatic conservatives out of the party.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...tion/by/state/

IMO, short term it's basically a removal of women's reproductive rights, and all the horrific things that will trail from that.

Longer term? It's probably going to cost the GOP seats everywhere, but especially in Texas.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #2845
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

But Susan Collins assured everyone that it was settled law!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #2846
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Also rich/poor lines.

it really is a law on poor women. Rich women will just hop on a plane to Albuquerque (New Mexico has very liberal abortion laws) and get it taken care of.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #2847
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Also rich/poor lines.

it really is a law on poor women. Rich women will just hop on a plane to Albuquerque (New Mexico has very liberal abortion laws) and get it taken care of.
Completely by design. Republicans do not want wealthy, well educated people in their states. They want the poorest and dumbest of the lot, way easier to control them with fake news
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #2848
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Completely by design. Republicans do not want wealthy, well educated people in their states. They want the poorest and dumbest of the lot, way easier to control them with fake news
The wealthy vote Republican. Too many poor people would flip the state. That's why they are not allowed to vote.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #2849
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Obesity rates:

Canada 29 per cent

US 36

Diabetes prevalence

Canada 7.6 per cent

US 10.8

Coronary heart disease fatalities (per 100k)

Canada 46

US 79

Pretty significant differences in lifestyles illnesses. And if we can blame it all on the U.S. health care system, is the Russian health care system responsible for a life expectancy 6 years lower than the U.S.?
Show us you don't understand health care without telling us you don't understand health care.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #2850
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

People in these parts freaking out over the vaccine mandate (federal employees and any business that has government contracts, and adding things into OSHA).

It’s going to kill business! Etc etc. etc

The business leaders love this. It’s what they want. What’s killing business is long term absences due to people getting covid. It’s crippling supply chains and production. I work in a plant of about 90 people. We have had one death and about 10 people out on long term leave the last month. Since May we’ve had 30 positive cases ( all unvaccinated) this is a large company that have freely available vaccinations on site.

It’s killing us. I’m tired of doing multiple jobs because people won’t get a damn shot. I’m tired of telling my customers a shipment is late or short or can they please take this slightly out of spec material we have in inventory. I’m tired of the ridiculous selfishness of my coworkers and the whining about everything like it’s not completely their fault.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13 AM   #2851
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
People in these parts freaking out over the vaccine mandate (federal employees and any business that has government contracts, and adding things into OSHA).

It’s going to kill business! Etc etc. etc

The business leaders love this. It’s what they want. What’s killing business is long term absences due to people getting covid. It’s crippling supply chains and production. I work in a plant of about 90 people. We have had one death and about 10 people out on long term leave the last month. Since May we’ve had 30 positive cases ( all unvaccinated) this is a large company that have freely available vaccinations on site.

It’s killing us. I’m tired of doing multiple jobs because people won’t get a damn shot. I’m tired of telling my customers a shipment is late or short or can they please take this slightly out of spec material we have in inventory. I’m tired of the ridiculous selfishness of my coworkers and the whining about everything like it’s not completely their fault.
Thank's seems wrong really, feel for you, the US is the country that constantly goes on about the best generation being those that fought world war 2, that generation would have been lining up around the block for the vaccine, that generation venerated doctors and scientists, our generation are morons it seems
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #2852
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

So who's the first Republican to say it was rigged? Elder? Trump?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1437982837043568640
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #2853
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

California Recall failed hard!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #2854
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Trump planned to start a war with China?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #2855
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Big time.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ia-recall.html
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #2856
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Watch for Trumplicans to say the vote was rigged.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #2857
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Of course, Texas rigged it by reminding Californians what a bunch of extremist scum the GOP is, might as well have run a Taliban mullah
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:30 PM   #2858
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
If I’m not mistaken I think I saw a tweet alleging voter fraud before the time of your post.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #2859
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
If I’m not mistaken I think I saw a tweet alleging voter fraud before the time of your post.
Trump said last week that the vote was rigged. Larry Elder set up a website to report voter fraud before the voting was done.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:18 PM   #2860
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The large Fortune 500 company I work for just dropped that we will be complying with the mandate.

Why? Well the reason given is that we have a bunch of government contracts. The real underlying reason is that the unvaccinated workforce is absolutely killing us at the plant and production level.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post: