Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #41
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm kinda excited to see what happens with Carolina over the next little while. It could be an epic disaster or it could be an interesting ride that brings a bit more attention to the franchise. And let's be honest, Carolina really isn't a franchise that the NHL pays attention to (except for that magical run where they stopped the Oilers from winning the cup).
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #42
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I do think there's potentially some merit to the "owner as GM" view. A GM's fundamental interest is the short-to-medium term. The owner may have a longer term view that works out better over the time. The catch is that the owner would need to be a top-tier hockey mind for it to work.

That’s a good point. It can probably help and hinder depending on the kind of owner you are.

I think coaches and GM’s are guilty of making roster decisions based on saving face and/or keeping their job... even if it’s not what’s best for the team. Examples of this are seen in how every GM basically gets 1-2 coach firings that they can do in their tenure before they know they are next to be fired. This can make them hang on to coaches for too long.

Another example is buyouts... GM’s are reluctant to buyout players that they signed because it’s basically admitting they made a bad call and asking the owner to pay millions of dollars for their mistake. That mistake can put a GM in the hot seat in the eyes of the owner.

But as an owner-GM, you’re making the decisions both in terms of money/profits and in what you want tour team to look like. If you really don’t like having a bad player on a bad contract taking up a spot on your roster... you have the ultimate authority to buy him out and there’s no one to answer to for it.

If it’s the right kind of owner-GM... one who can make decisions not based on pride or keeping their job... then it could really help a team in fixing big problems faster... most GM’s just have to wait for bad contracts to expire or hope their coach suddenly starts working.

That’s not to say that things can go really bad really fast as an owner-GM... he has to know what he’s doing. Not being accountable to anyone can make your bad team even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
(except for that magical run where they stopped the Oilers from winning the cup).
For this, we are eternally grateful!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Frankly i thought Francis was quite good at drafting. Canes were looking better this year.
Haven't made the playoffs since 2009... looking better doesn't cut it.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #45
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not saying it's wrong, but sports is probably the only business where a private owner is seen as foolish for taking too much of a personal hand in the operations (public companies are different to an extent).
I think it depends on the business, but privately-owned businesses are usually owned by people who built that business from the ground up and are well-versed in the day-to-day operations of the business and their industry as a whole.

I don't think people would question it if Mario Lemieux took a more hands-on approach to running the Penguins. It's a lot different when it's someone who seemingly had nothing to do with the sport of hockey 6 months ago.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #46
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Francis stays there long-term. I thought the Canes were really coming around, and their drafting has seemingly been quite strong under Francis.

What is wrong with Florida? Why do they have to have crazy owners who want to put their fingers in places they shouldn't?

I was worried that the Flames would end up losing Don Maloney in this move, but I can't see any established GM taking that job now. They are doomed to look like fools in that spot.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #47
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What is wrong with Florida? Why do they have to have crazy owners who want to put their fingers in places they shouldn't?
Florida? Not sure what Raleigh has to do with Florida, but clearly Tampa righted that ship. Francis was supposed to be the Canes' Yzerman. What is Brind'Amour up to these days?

The Canes definitely seem to have some solid scouts, will be interesting to see if any of them leave the organization as the owner cleans house. Wouldn't mind the Flames talking to them, they may still be a bubble team, but their a bubble team consisting almost entirely of players they drafted.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #48
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Exactly. You'd have to think anyone who spends a decent amount of time on their favorite team's message board is dying to play GM. If I owned the team, I wouldn't suddenly lose the desire to make those decisions

I think we will see more and more of this in pro sports, especially as we see the move away from former players running teams. Maybe not owner as GM, but owner as CEO.
Friedman said just that on 960 this morning. He said it's not uncommon in other pro sports for owners to be hands-on, and with the price of NHL teams so high, you're going to see more and more of it in this sport.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #49
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I wonder if Francis stays there long-term.
I think Francis has been Window Seated. I can't see him staying long as a result.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Hearing that Carolina has asked permission from the LA Kings to speak with Mike Futa.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #51
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I were an owner I would want a GM who knew a lot more about hockey and the business of hockey then I, however he would have a wish list of players I'd like to see and a list of players I would want to have sign off on before trading.
speede5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #52
Completely
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Id love to be a fly on the wall and be in the know of everything, but i think id be either way too passive or way too aggressive.

Part of the fun is not being in control. That we are just in for the ride experiencing the ups and downs. I just would love to see how things develope and all the meetings and see the brain trust in action
Completely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #53
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would be very interesting is how much the moves a fan proposes "in fun" would change when there's actual money, responsibility, and people involved. I don't know that it's a job I would enjoy in real life.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #54
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hearing that Carolina has asked permission from the LA Kings to speak with Mike Futa.
Why would any semi-reputable potential GM want this job? GM turnover is relatively short, spots will open up where you have actual control.

The owner needs Jay Feaster.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hes a guy that has certainly paid his dues.

He completely revamped the Kings scouting system before getting into personnel and then assistant to Rob Blake.

Long time hockey guy that has done all the jobs at all the levels.

If this is the type of guy Dundon does hire, this may not be the tire fire it appears to be heading towards.

That's assuming he listens to hockey guys in regards to hockey decisions.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #56
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I would bet the large majority of people, if they were an NHL owner, would be hands on.

You're telling me that- even if you were a billionaire and sank $200-$300 million into a hockey team for fun, that you'd just say 'okay hockey-mind guy, take the wheel'??

Not likely. I would want to know why I'm being signed up to pay hockey players millions of dollars of my personal money and for sure major decisions would need to go to me for approval.

Personally I'd be shocked if any GM in the NHL just had carte blanche to cruise around making deals as they please. Not a chance. That's not how the business world works.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #57
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per TSN Mike Futa has withdrawn his name from consideration.

Sounds like Lawrence Gillman might be one of the front runners.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #58
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

On HNIC Kypreos says that the Canes are only offering $400k/year in salary for the new GM which is nowhere near enough to get a credible established hockey person to accept the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #59
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh jesus, what a ****show. Hands on owner who wants to play with his toy and a pittance offered for the unlucky puppet GM. This isn't shaping up to be a disaster at all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Johnson was on the fan the other day thinking that Paul Fenton (AGM of the Preds) was the front runner for the job. Makes sense. He's one of the best behind the scenes guys around. Which is what the CAR owner wants anyways. EDIT: they ain't getting him at that price point.