Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #701
Knut

Exp:

What it does do is open it up for Healthcare workers who were 7.5 weeks between shots and were not eligible before.

My 68 yr old Colleague was 8weeks + 2 days between doses and could not get it before, while me, at 40, could because I was at 8 Weeks - 1 day between doses.

So stupid how they roll this stuff out.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #702
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
We don't have a supply issue, and people that got their shots in other jurisdictions that permitted them to do so aren't 'queue jumpers', so this is just government incompetence adding delay for its own sake. Manitoba already opened it up for anyone 18+ that had their shot >6 months ago.
No ones talking about a supply issue. There is always going to be a resource limit.

If there isn’t a queue issue, they will expand availability. You evaluate that by opening a queue….
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #703
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

BC is even more ridiculous. My friend has a 69 year old relative with COPD who is over 6 months from his 2nd dose but he can't get a 3rd dose yet (only 70+ and immunocompromised can). Meanwhile a 30 year old who had mixed doses and wants to travel can get a 3rd dose whenever.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #704
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
What it does do is open it up for Healthcare workers who were 7.5 weeks between shots and were not eligible before.

My 68 yr old Colleague was 8weeks + 2 days between doses and could not get it before, while me, at 40, could because I was at 8 Weeks - 1 day between doses.

So stupid how they roll this stuff out.
yeah so now we are at

any healthcare worker regardless of age can get booster as long as they are 6 months post 2nd jab and <8 weeks between jabs

any healthcare worker over 60 can get their booster, due to their age, as long as they are 6 months post 2nd jab

59 year old healthcare workers, 6 months post 2nd jab who are 8 weeks plus a day between jabs- continue to wait- at this point likely they will become eligible based on their age before anything else- just not clear yet when that will be

the good news I suppose is their 8 weeks plus a day between jabs is providing them coverage of some kind
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #705
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
What's the wait period for the vaccine after getting covid? Both my kids are positive at the moment (7&8yrs old). They're fine, but I'd like to get them vaxxed so we can carry on with life.
I could never get a clear answer to that when I was looking back in the spring. You're considered immune for three months after recovery and they are recommending two months between doses for kids. Based on that, I'd probably go with 2-3 months after they tested positive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:35 PM   #706
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, the littlest member of the Coke family got her shot today (she’s 9). She was probably the most excited one to get it. Thankfully has no needle apprehension or anything, and was beaming after like she got a new outfit.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #707
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems contradictory, unless I am misreading the eligibilty requirements from both AB sites. So if you got a mixed AZ/Pfizer dose you're eligible or not eligible? The first statement seems confusing.

https://bookvaccine.alberta.ca/vaccine/s/booking

Quote:
• Six (6) months after receiving two doses of AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD OR one dose of Janssen;
https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vacci...TMLEmail#third

Quote:
Eligibility: People who received 2 doses of AstraZeneca or one dose of Janssen can get a booster of an mRNA vaccine, if they have not already received an mRNA dose for travel purposes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #708
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This seems contradictory, unless I am misreading the eligibilty requirements from both AB sites. So if you got a mixed AZ/Pfizer dose you're eligible or not eligible? The first statement seems confusing.

https://bookvaccine.alberta.ca/vaccine/s/booking

https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vacci...TMLEmail#third
If you had a mixed dose of AZ and one of the mRNAs, you can get a second mRNA shot (so long as it's 8 weeks after your first mRNA) for travel purposes. You can get that now but I don't think it's considered a Booster, just a second shot for travel to countries that don't recognize mixed doses.

I believe that means you'll still be eligible for a booster at least 6 months after your second mRNA dose.

If you did not get a mixed dose with your first two shots (or got one each of Pfizer and Moderna), then you'll simply be eligible for a booster 6 months after your second shot. Regardless of what you got for your first two shots, the booster can be an mRNA.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #709
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Are there still countries that don't recognize mixed doses? THAT seems ridiculous that this is somehow still an issue...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #710
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of Wednesday, Alberta has passed 10% of 5-11 year-olds with their first shot after only 6 days. Calgary Centre-North is already over 20%.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #711
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
But if there isn't an issue with supply or the queue being full, there is no reason to restrict anyone from setting up their appointment and getting it done.
Somehow Manitoba is doing it just fine and we have people in here making dumb excuses why we can’t or shouldn’t in Alberta, yet we have more vaccine supply, more resources to administer shots, and (unfortunately) more vaccine hesitancy which also opens up resources.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #712
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Its even not just the scenario that opendoor talked about (which is dumb & sad at the same time), but there are 30 year people that are immune compromised as well, and they should absolutely be able to get it and get protected.

This is my problem with government decisions. They make them, but there is no explanation or reasoning behind it. I don't think we'd have an issue with 60 year olds first if there are limited slots available. But bloody explain it that way. Instead they act like we are dumb pawns.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #713
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone over 12 who is immunocompromised can get a third dose, and have been able to since they started.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #714
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the time elapsed since your second dose is greater than six months, you can book. Period. That's all the criteria that there needs to be for the general population, aside from those who will get boosters earlier due to special circumstances.

There just isn't a single good excuse not to allow all ages to start booking their booster once they're past six months from their most recent dose, whenever that was.

- releasing it by age again prevents 'rewarding queue jumpers'
This is a health issue, the idea that this qualifies as 'rewarding queue jumpers' shouldn't even factor into the thought process. We cancelled cancer surgeries for unvaccinated ####heads, but apparently a few queue-jumpers who still did the right thing for society is a bridge too far? We know that six months is the point at which most people should start receiving boosters. Plenty of people were vaccinated in other jurisdictions that released shots for younger age groups earlier than Alberta did, and it doesn't make sense to disadvantage them because some people cheated the system.

- someone 60 years of age 6 months post shot 2 is vulnerable compared to a 30 year old in the same situation.
Except in cases of the immunocompromised, someone 60 years of age will hit their 6 months post shot 2 and be eligible to book before the 30 year old person anyway, so this isn't an obstacle.

- You’re at higher risk of hospitalization with age. The purpose is to reduce the amount of hospitalizations.
Being better protected yourself means you're less likely to become symptomatic, spread the virus, etc. which also protects older people you may be spending time around. Let's not pretend people are still not visiting grandparents and etc. like they were when this whole thing started. People are spending time with their loved ones.

- Most people in the lower age range aren't post 6 months. Grandma shouldn't have to compete with the computer savvy 30 somethings.
So then what's the problem? If they aren't post 6 months then Grandma won't be competing with them in the first place. The whole point is anybody who is post 6 months from their second dose should be able to book their booster.

I qualify for my booster already. But this is just stupid policy, it's weird to think Manitoba is handling it better than us.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #715
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they don’t want log-jams at pharmacies, where a 58 year has to wait two weeks to get a shot because hundreds of 30-somethings are ahead in the cue. I live in an area with a lot of seniors, and the pharmacies around here had long waits a couple weeks ago just to get a flu shot.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 11:18 AM   #716
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Maybe they don’t want log-jams at pharmacies, where a 58 year has to wait two weeks to get a shot because hundreds of 30-somethings are ahead in the cue. I live in an area with a lot of seniors, and the pharmacies around here had long waits a couple weeks ago just to get a flu shot.
I suspect this is exactly it, coupled with the fact that boosters for younger people are not nearly as important as for older people and the immunocompromised.

I can't say I care whether I get my booster today or in February. It'll happen when it happens. Why are we upset at this?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #717
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

They are also currently doing 12 and under to try and cover off one of the biggest spreaders (schools). It took less than 2 weeks for Ontario to lower the booster age from 70 to 50… it’ll probably be open to everyone before January 1. They aren’t going to hold it on a age group with ample appointment times available… Phasing this makes perfect sense, making it a free for all is dumb.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #718
Green Machine
Draft Pick

Curious as to what thoughts are on this.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/t...accine-warning
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #719
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post

That is because the Doctor that wrote the study is an absolute Quack. The study is not peer-reviewed and should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. Twitter is absolutely correct in labelling it as Unsafe.

He is a Cardiac Surgeon who hawks supplements on his website.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #720
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine View Post

Seems appropriate: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...00000000001051

Quote:
Soon after publication of the above abstract in Circulation, it was brought to the American Heart Association Committee on Scientific Sessions Program’s attention that there are potential errors in the abstract. Specifically, there are several typographical errors, there is no data in the abstract regarding myocardial T-cell infiltration, there are no statistical analyses for significance provided, and the author is not clear that only anecdotal data was used.