Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #1181
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That thread makes for an enlightening read in retrospect.
It's hilarious. "They were allowed to draft too good of a team" said nobody.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #1182
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fluery’s been amazing but this Knights team was winning games with their 4th string goalie. They beat the Jets because they are flat out a better team. Their response to goals against throughout the playoffs has been incredible. A complete 180 to how the 17/18 Flames reacted to goals against.

Fleury was awesome but he is not the sole reason they have been great, he was missing for a decent chunk of the season and the Knights were still winning. This is an amazing hard working team and for some posters to say it was solely because of Fleury is ludacrious.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #1183
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Fluery’s been amazing but this Knights team was winning games with their 4th string goalie. They beat the Jets because they are flat out a better team. Their response to goals against throughout the playoffs has been incredible. A complete 180 to how the 17/18 Flames reacted to goals against.

Fleury was awesome but he is not the sole reason they have been great, he was missing for a decent chunk of the season and the Knights were still winning. This is an amazing hard working team and for some posters to say it was solely because of Fleury is ludacrious.
In 15 post season games Fleury has a save % of 0.947

His career save % is 0.914. Hell, .927 this year.

I don't know why you want to discount his play so readily. He's the head and shoulders playoff MVP and no one else is even close. Not by a mile. Dominek Hasek when he drug the crappy Sabres to the Cup in a losing effort vs Dallas was .950. This is Hasek like goaltending. edit: That was only a 7 game playoff .. Haseks full playoff vs Dallas was actualyl 939. So he's doing better than Hasek did the year Buffalo went to the cup. But no, go ahead and tell us more that this is just the Knights system

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-21-2018 at 12:16 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #1184
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

For further reference: So far, in NHL history, MA Fleury is having the single greatest playoffs a goaltender has ever had with a sample size of at least 10 games.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM   #1185
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
In 15 post season games Fleury has a save % of 0.947

His career save % is 0.914. Hell, .927 this year.

I don't know why you want to discount his play so readily. He's the head and shoulders playoff MVP and no one else is even close. Not by a mile. Dominek Hasek when he drug the crappy Sabres to the Cup in a losing effort vs Dallas was .950. This is Hasek like goaltending. edit: That was only a 7 game playoff .. Haseks full playoff vs Dallas was actualyl 939. So he's doing better than Hasek did the year Buffalo went to the cup. But no, go ahead and tell us more that this is just the Knights system
I’m discounting his play? I said he played awesome. But the Knights have won all year despite their goaltender, just look how they played without Fleury. They made Malcom Subban look a like a legit top goaltending prospect again after being made a joke in Boston. This Knights team is a great team and for you to say it was all because of Fleury is you still not giving the Knights full credit. They were the better TEAM. End of story.

Pretty funny how you are spinning your argument to make it seem like I’m not giving Fleury credit. It’s almost like you are in denial about the Knights being a better hockey team than your beloved Jets.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #1186
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Their response to goals against throughout the playoffs has been incredible. A complete 180 to how the 17/18 Flames reacted to goals against.
The way the Knights react to getting scored on reminds me a lot of the 14/15 Flames. They just shrug it off and get right back on the attack, not allowing their opponent to gain much momentum. Since the Flames core is still pretty much the same as 2015, I'm sure we all hope that they can somehow find that resilience again next season. We know they have it in them.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #1187
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m discounting his play? I said he played awesome. But the Knights have won all year despite their goaltender, just look how they played without Fleury. They made Malcom Subban look a like a legit top goaltending prospect again after being made a joke in Boston. This Knights team is a great team and for you to say it was all because of Fleury is you still not giving the Knights full credit. They were the better TEAM. End of story.

Pretty funny how you are spinning your argument that I’m not giving Fleury credit. It’s almost like you are in denial about the Knights being a better hockey team than your beloved Jets.
Settle down, try-hard. You keep saying that I'm claiming the only reason the Jets lost is Fleury. I haven't said that I'll say it now that's not the case. There's a number of reasons the Jets lost. Vegas pressured them heavily and caused the D to make dumb mistake. Vegas had 8 days off and we're better rested and more "juice" in their game. Winnipeg's secondary scoring dried up. Helleybuyck had his worst 4 game stretch of the entire season at the worst possible time. Also, yeah, the opposing goaltender putting up the best save % in NHL playoff history probably plays a major factor. Prob the #1 factor imo.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #1188
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't walk into a BBQ pit looking for vegan food.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #1189
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Settle down, try-hard. You keep saying that I'm claiming the only reason the Jets lost is Fleury. I haven't said that I'll say it now that's not the case. There's a number of reasons the Jets lost. Vegas pressured them heavily and caused the D to make dumb mistake. Vegas had 8 days off and we're better rested and more "juice" in their game. Winnipeg's secondary scoring dried up. Helleybuyck had his worst 4 game stretch of the entire season at the worst possible time. Also, yeah, the opposing goaltender putting up the best save % in NHL playoff history probably plays a major factor. Prob the #1 factor imo.
The Knights top to bottom were the better team. I still see many half ass excuses on your part and an inability to admit that the Knights were flat out better in more aspects of the game then the Jets were.

You also have to realize that calling people names looks so petty and unbecoming on your part. I guess “try hard” is more of a backhanded compliment tho so thank you.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #1190
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Knights top to bottom were the better team. I still see many half ass excuses on your part and an inability to admit that the Knights were flat out better in more aspects of the game then the Jets were.

You also have to realize that calling people names looks so petty and unbecoming on your part. I guess “try hard” is more of a backhanded compliment tho so thank you.
Actually I find your constant strawmaning and misrepresentation of my posts as "unbecoming". Speaking of a thicker skin... if try hard offends you you're going to have a tough time in the real world being that sensitive.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #1191
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I find your constant strawmaning and misrepresentation of my posts as "unbecoming". Speaking of a thicker skin... if try hard offends you you're going to have a tough time in the real world being that sensitive.
The only one being over sensitive here is you my friend. I see you making a ton of excuses to why the Jets lost without giving the Knights credit for being the better team. Your over-sensitivity is plastered throughout this thread so for you to call me “sensitive” and asking me to have thicker skin is beyond hilarious. You’ve repeatedly told posters to “stfu” among other personal attacks on this thread, and needed a mod warning for you to stop. Don’t tell me to have thicker skin.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-21-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #1192
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only one being over sensitive here is you my friend. I see you making a ton of excuses to why the Jets lost without giving the Knights credit for being the better team. Your over-sensitivity is plastered throughout this thread so for you to call me “sensitive” and asking me to have thicker skin is beyond hilarious.
See this is where I need to be able to stop letting a troll get to me, so, I'm going to let you have the last word. Enjoy it.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #1193
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now he has to respond to get the last word?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #1194
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See this is where I need to be able to stop letting a troll get to me, so, I'm going to let you have the last word. Enjoy it.
I’m a troll? I’m just wondering why you can’t admit the Jets lost to a better team without you giving several excuses to why the Jets lost. They lost because they weren’t as good top to bottom as the Knights. They lost in 5 games and never led a game after game 1. They are not as good as the Knights and you won’t admit this.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #1195
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

ahh there we go.

aaaaand scene!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #1196
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Predictions for the 2017-18 NHL Season
Quote:
The 2017-18 season will end with the Golden Knights being bottom three in the standings, but with a good chance of winning the draft lottery and potentially finding a future face of the franchise.
Quote:
This season, the Oilers will deploy a well-balanced lineup led by the most dynamic player in the NHL, and use the experience from last season’s playoff run to win their first Stanley Cup since 1990.

The time is now for McDavid and the Oilers.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #1197
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Golly, you're a salt factory the last couple days.

But it appears that the tribe has spoken! *sizzle*
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #1198
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"The off-season acquisitions of Jussi Jokinen and Ryan Strome add even more depth and experience to an already elite roster."

Oh my...
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #1199
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You missed the funniest part in that article directly above your second quotation:

Quote:
"The Edmonton Oilers proved in last season’s playoffs they’re for real.

... The off-season acquisitions of Jussi Jokinen and Ryan Strome add even more depth and experience to an already elite roster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #1200
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

As for this series, thank the Maker that Vegas won.

In the end, they proved to be faster, better balanced, better coached, and better disciplined than the Winnipeg Jets—and they tipped the scales with a phenomenal goaltending clinic put on by Marc Andre Fleury.

I thought the Jets cruised in round one, playing against arguably the worst playoff team that could not win a road-game to save their life.

They probably should have been eliminated by Nashville, but for whatever reason Pekka Rinne and the Predators forgot how to play hockey in Tennessee.

Depending on who comes out of the East, I will be happy to see the Knights win it all, but I am not convinced they will manage to replicate this level of success in the near future. This is a culmination of various uncontrolled circumstances, and Vegas has capitalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-21-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:

Tags
elvis , knight up , pumpkin time , white out