Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #2901
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

And just like that, Falcore provides an example jayswin's statement hhah
Old 06-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #2902
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
And just like that, Falcore provides an example jayswin's statement hhah
Yeah how terrible of a person to want to see some tax dollars go to something they'd actually use. What a rich a$$hole.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #2903
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzie View Post
It won't happen, but I'm at the point where I'm actively hoping they move.
How do you actively hope? Seems like kind of a passive activity.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #2904
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Yeah how terrible of a person to want to see some tax dollars go to something they'd actually use. What a rich a$$hole.
I know you're responding to Cappy, but I was the one who made the original post he was referencing.

I certainly wasn't meaning to come across the way you're portraying in your post. I went out of my way to ensure I was just merely explaining why many wealthier citizens will support excess tax spending on stadiums while opposing most other tax spending in their cities, without trying to characterize them as a-holes

It came from many posters expressing confusion as to why normally fiscally conservative CP posters that are all over the city for ANY spending, be it on libraries, bridges, social services for low income earners, all of a sudden do a 180 on handing hundreds of millions to rich business men to build a stadium that they own.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #2905
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How do you actively hope? Seems like kind of a passive activity.
Try this: shut your eyes really tight, raise your hands in front of your face, and cross your fingers.

That's active hope. The longer you do it for, the more effective it is!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #2906
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a taxpayer, I'd be willing to pony up cash as part of the initial construction on two conditions:
  1. The primary tenant (aka Flames) takes responsibility for all facility maintenance and operating costs
  2. No "ticket tax"

If that responsibility falls on the Flames, it should bring down the cost of the building as the team will not be demanding all the extreme bells and whistles that they will have to pay to maintain.
The Following User Says Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #2907
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
As a taxpayer, I'd be willing to pony up cash as part of the initial construction on two conditions:
  1. The primary tenant (aka Flames) takes responsibility for all facility maintenance and operating costs
  2. No "ticket tax"

If that responsibility falls on the Flames, it should bring down the cost of the building as the team will not be demanding all the extreme bells and whistles that they will have to pay to maintain.
I can't see a scenario with no ticket tax. It's the new standard way for sports teams to add in a "contribution" to an arena/stadium that actually isn't a contribution. It's brilliant.

"Okay, so the city just has to pay $200mil, while we'll pay $150 mil in a ticket tax, PLUS $50mil out of our own pockets. How can the tax player lose! We're both contributing the same and we get all the profits, plus the $150mil back!!!. The city should be thanking us!!!!".

Last edited by jayswin; 06-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #2908
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting to see the poll at two to one when it seems like the balance of discussion of the thread could essentially be summed up as "the Flames can go #### themselves." Seems to be a silent majority who are at least tentatively with the team on this...

Of course, this is a Flames board so you'd expect some bias in favour of the team's view. My impression just from people I talk to is that most people are in the "go pound sand" camp as to the use of any public funds (or any beyond say $100mm). Is that pretty much the tempterature of the city, in other peoples' experiemce?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #2909
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anybody actually know the $ amount their taxes might go up or are just blindly opposed to any increase?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #2910
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's interesting to see the poll at two to one when it seems like the balance of discussion of the thread could essentially be summed up as "the Flames can go #### themselves." Seems to be a silent majority who are at least tentatively with the team on this...

Of course, this is a Flames board so you'd expect some bias in favour of the team's view. My impression just from people I talk to is that most people are in the "go pound sand" camp as to the use of any public funds (or any beyond say $100mm). Is that pretty much the tempterature of the city, in other peoples' experiemce?
I want to say that the level of staunch opposition to a new arena deal amongst actual fans of the team(people who would actually be setting foot in the arena) in this proposal seems unprecedented, but that's purely anecdotal.

It definitely feels like public sentiment could not have gone any worse for Flames management.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #2911
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I think it has something to do with the fact that they are bringing it up so early in the game. It's been two years since they made their proposal, which in the grand scheme of arenas, is very short.

They jumped a few chapters in the field of schemes playbook.

But it's also hard for them to try and tug at the emotional angle (the fans, the sick kids, the charity) and talk about how integral the team is to the city, and then threaten to leave it all behind. It's kind of a slap in the face.

If they want to make a business case, then we, as a city, will make a business case too. We can leave emotion out of it... unfortunately the business case for stadium subsidies has been disproved so many times that it's amazing people still argue it.
Disingenuous to transfer the emotion of fans to the organization.
This is the last statement from King regarding any 'threat' to move.

Quote:
“We’re not threatening people,” King said. “And furthermore, I think and hope we’re going to get a deal. The truth of the matter is, we would just move. Which is not to be confused as a threat.”

King said the Flames wouldn’t use “silly tactics” like shopping the team to different cities and touring arenas to force a decision, alluding to Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz’s trip to Seattle in 2012 while the fate of Rogers Place was still up in the air.

Many saw the visit as a threat to move the team, drawing enough public outrage that Katz issued an apology to Edmontonians.

“This has to be good for everybody, and if it isn’t good for everybody it shouldn’t happen, pure and simple,” King said. “And if it turns out to be not working for us then nobody’s going to argue that we should try to secure our future in whatever way’s necessary.”
Doesn't get much more business (and less emotional) than this statement.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...just-move-king
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #2912
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Does anybody actually know the $ amount their taxes might go up or are just blindly opposed to any increase?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Being blindly opposed to any amount of taxpayer money towards a private business venture isn't exactly an unbecoming position to take.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #2913
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stating a fact doesn't make it not a threat.

If I said if you don't give me $100 I am going to kick your ass and I fully intend to do it doesn't make it not a threat. I am still threatening you. That the threat is real of made up does not change that it is a threat.

If the flames didn't want to threaten to move they would say we will do everything in our power to remain a viable franchise in Calgary. By stating the "facts" they are threatening the city and fans.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #2914
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I doubt it's a matter of taxes going up. It's more a matter of money going to an arena instead of other facilities (leisure centres, parks, transit, etc.).
Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #2915
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think it'll I increase taxes, it's a perfect opportunity for council to do it.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #2916
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I'm hearing, it's basically just the cost of financing the debt for the arena contribution that'll prevent the City from doing some other things.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Old 06-11-2017, 10:24 PM   #2917
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post
  2. No "ticket tax"

A ticket tax is not HRR, though, while an increase in ticket price is.
So a portion of the funding needs to go to a ticket tax.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #2918
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
A ticket tax is not HRR, though, while an increase in ticket price is.
So a portion of the funding needs to go to a ticket tax.
Oh I know that the team will want to impose a ticket tax. What I'm saying is that as a taxpayer I'd be willing to put up cash to get the building built so that people who can't afford season tickets at higher rates can enjoy Flames games and other events without a ticket tax.
The Following User Says Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #2919
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Use a ticket tax all you want, just don't ask the city to bank roll it. There are capital markets out there for exactly this reason. It's absolutely not the city's responsibility to be taking on risk.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #2920
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Use a ticket tax all you want, just don't ask the city to bank roll it. There are capital markets out there for exactly this reason. It's absolutely not the city's responsibility to be taking on risk.
Not paying Brouwer, Stajan, and bouma would pay the interest on over $200m in bonds. I'm aware that the contracts are guaranteed, but being an internally capped team to pay for an arena isn't the worst idea.
Closed Thread