Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #61
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't we in like a 4 way tie for 15th in point %?

Checked here: https://www.hockey-reference.com/lea...standings.html

By my count we are tied with NYR for 14th overall in a draft based on point percentage- wrong we are tied with NYR for 18/19 overall in the league based on points percentage. That would give us pick 12 or 13, and should qualify us for a draft lottery.

Last edited by Monahammer; 04-27-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #62
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many good RWers this year. Sleeper pick for me, Rodin Amirov. Not a RW but a darned great all around player.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #63
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We really need a hard working, puck driving big C with speed and body. Not too old. If there is one, I would trade 1st, 1 of Killington or Hanifin, plus Jankowski or any of AHL except russian G.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #64
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
We really need a hard working, puck driving big C with speed and body. Not too old. If there is one, I would trade 1st, 1 of Killington or Hanifin, plus Jankowski or any of AHL except russian G.
I doubt that lands you a big, fast #1 young centre - but certainly if Big Snag Zag is the sweetener to make that happen - I would think you do it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #65
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Draft RWers in the first two rounds.

Keep signing FA d-man.

Try to deal for Barzal?

We need a RW scorer and another good center to bolster the depth down the middle IMO to take the next step.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #66
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Draft RWers in the first two rounds.

Keep signing FA d-man.

Try to deal for Barzal?

We need a RW scorer and another good center to bolster the depth down the middle IMO to take the next step.
IMO, you draft the two best prospects available, regardless of position.

You are counting on these guys to have an impact 4-5 years from now.

Current position need should have zero impact on selection. Asset value is paramount.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
IMO, you draft the two best prospects available, regardless of position.

You are counting on these guys to have an impact 4-5 years from now.

Current position need should have zero impact on selection. Asset value is paramount.
BPA is never a bad approach, ever.

But I hope its BPA at RW or C. There will be plenty to pick from in the first 50 selections.

But yeah, always a chance someone with elite upside slides further than they were anticipated going, albeit not at the preferred position you're needing to stock up on... sometimes you just have to jump on that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #68
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

One guy to take a good look at who has come out of nowhere and has established himself as a guaranteed first round pick is Seth Jarvis.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #69
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I really hope it's Jacob Perreault.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #70
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Chris Johnston:

If the draft lottery proposal outlined in tonight's NHL memo becomes reality:

-- Detroit would be guaranteed No. 1 or No. 2 overall
-- Ottawa could do no worse than owning No. 3 AND No. 4
-- New Jersey, Buffalo, Montreal and Chicago couldn't jump beyond No. 2/3/4/5, respectively
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #71
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

A June draft in this scenario will be an epic fail. Most of the appeal of the draft is not even the actual draft, it is the trades. Teams have stockpiled picks to move some of them to add to their roster. The only way a June draft works for me is if trades are allowed and players traded can join their new team members when the season resumes. I know this defeats the purpose of the trade deadline but this is an exceptional circumstance where everything has changed anyhow. It would also generate the attention the NHL is looking for leading up to the draft. Either allow trades for the draft or postpone it until after the season resumes if it actually does. Nothing else makes sense.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #72
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
A June draft in this scenario will be an epic fail. Most of the appeal of the draft is not even the actual draft, it is the trades. Teams have stockpiled picks to move some of them to add to their roster. The only way a June draft works for me is if trades are allowed and players traded can join their new team members when the season resumes. I know this defeats the purpose of the trade deadline but this is an exceptional circumstance where everything has changed anyhow. It would also generate the attention the NHL is looking for leading up to the draft. Either allow trades for the draft or postpone it until after the season resumes if it actually does. Nothing else makes sense.
I suspect how this goes is
1. 2019/2020 season is canceled
2. Draft lottery/draft is scheduled for July
3. Resumption of season planned for Jan 2021.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #73
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect how this goes is
1. 2019/2020 season is canceled
2. Draft lottery/draft is scheduled for July
3. Resumption of season planned for Jan 2021.
When I saw they took some playoff revenue early (evened out over season) I changed my view from the above to ... this season will finish. Next season won't start.

That's my best guess.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #74
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
When I saw they took some playoff revenue early (evened out over season) I changed my view from the above to ... this season will finish. Next season won't start.

That's my best guess.
Next season will start. Just not in October. Probably December I bet
Old 05-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #75
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Articles in the Athletic say plan is to finish this season and award Cup in Sept, and start next season in Dec. Owners desperate for playoffs and revenue from TV contracts. The June draft is also a business decision, with owners worried that the NHL has to get in front of eyeballs soon or too many fans will drift away.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #76
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Articles in the Athletic say plan is to finish this season and award Cup in Sept, and start next season in Dec. Owners desperate for playoffs and revenue from TV contracts. The June draft is also a business decision, with owners worried that the NHL has to get in front of eyeballs soon or too many fans will drift away.
I still say the reason the draft draws hockey fans is more for deals than draft picks themselves. It just kills the excitement for me. Am I going to stay in on a nice June day to watch draft picks? Doubtful. Now if there were trades...
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #77
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proposed order is 1-15 for non-playoff teams in reverse points pct order, followed by 16-31 for playoff teams in same order.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #78
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I still say the reason the draft draws hockey fans is more for deals than draft picks themselves. It just kills the excitement for me. Am I going to stay in on a nice June day to watch draft picks? Doubtful. Now if there were trades...
The draft would be held at night, and i bet 99% of the hardcore posters on CP would watch it, even without trades. And yes i am including you as one of the 99% watching it. Seriously, other than football draft, and last dance on netflix, what other sports have people been watching? Sport fans are dying for something and thats why they want to do it early. All that said i am in favour of doing it after season or if season is cancelled. But make no mistake if it's on in June, I will watch it. There might not be another event involving sports until December.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #79
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just cancel the season, it'll be forgotten in time just like the lockout season. Have a weighted lottery and do the draft with trades then open UFA like normal. Prepare for a shortened season next year, allow a compliance buyout for each team.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #80
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch the draft for the picks. Trades are bonuses. But they’re usually more hype and nothing happens. Maybe one or two impact trades happen per draft.

I like to nerd out in front of the TV with my draft preview magazines. I hope they end up having it in early June.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good