Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #5341
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm slowly building up some endurance. Yesterday I biked to and from softball, about 40 km round trip with over 300 metres of climbing. I'm looking forward to when that's just the warmup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #5342
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't find the smoke to be a real problem.
It's more of a problem sitting at my desk with my eyes burning right now.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #5343
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I rode at the same exertion walking would have put me under. I figure it was less time in the smoke, so probably still better.

All you guys trying to set records on your commutes, are you the guys blowing by me at 40km/h on the path where the limit is 20? I'm amazed at how fast some people ride with people around and kids and dogs etc. I also have correlated those guys with lack of bell usage. I've decided I hate silent passers.

Last Friday on the Riverwalk there was column of traffic stuck behind someone slow while bikes where coming the other way, but some hero decides he's going to pass anyway. So we were 3 wide with a solid amount of traffic on both sides.

Strava should just shutdown if you're on a pathway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #5344
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends where you are. If it's crowded, you're an ass if you're trying to blast through people. If you're on the empty Nose Creek path, open it up. Be aware of your surroudings and don't ride like a dick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5345
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Depends where you are. If it's crowded, you're an ass if you're trying to blast through people. If you're on the empty Nose Creek path, open it up. Be aware of your surroudings and don't ride like a dick.
The lack of bell use in this city amazes me. It is right up there with the lack of signal use by drivers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #5346
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just did my first ride to work in a couple weeks and was out of breath/sweating like crazy. Amazing how much of a difference it was. I'll be back to the daily commute now though.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #5347
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
All you guys trying to set records on your commutes, are you the guys blowing by me at 40km/h on the path where the limit is 20? I'm amazed at how fast some people ride with people around and kids and dogs etc. I also have correlated those guys with lack of bell usage. I've decided I hate silent passers.

Last Friday on the Riverwalk there was column of traffic stuck behind someone slow while bikes where coming the other way, but some hero decides he's going to pass anyway. So we were 3 wide with a solid amount of traffic on both sides.

I pick up the bike path near blackfoot and southland - it is generally not crowed as I work my way south so it is easier to speed.

the closer you get to downtown, the harder it is to speed as the apth is more congested.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #5348
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I rode at the same exertion walking would have put me under. I figure it was less time in the smoke, so probably still better.

I think that my speed depends on how busy the path is. I commute along the elbow river near stampede park, so I've been going much slower along there in the afternoons.
When I'm commuting before 7am, I'm riding as fast as I can push myself though. I know there technically still a speed limit, but I'm not hurting anyone.
As for bell usage, I feel like I over use it. When I'm passing (bike, pedestrian, etc...) I give a ring when I'm 5-10 seconds away, then again just when I'm passing. I also ring any time I'm going around any blind corner.

In the end, it doesn't matter what the bylaw says, or what common courtesy dictates; some people are just too thick to use common sense when they're doing anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #5349
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What you guys do sounds reasonable, and is how I generally operate too. I mostly only ride on the busy sections of the path, and my commute is generally slower in the summer because of it. Good to know that jerks blasting past aren't CPers.

I speed a ton in spring/fall/winter when the path is clear but there is literally no one on it because it's bloody cold. If I see someone about to cross or people with kids or dogs anywhere near by I slow right down.

As more people bike, it ends up just being like the roads when there is traffic, and everyone is in a hurry and the jerks really start to show their true colours. Like driving back on the Trans Canada from BC after a long weekend. I'm glad more people are bike commuting, and I guess this is just part of the downside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #5350
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

On another topic, I'm switching jobs and losing my secure indoor bike room. I have a decent-ish commuter ($900 bike with a decent seat on it). If I park it outside in the beltline somewhere with decent foot traffic with a U lock and a cable lock, am I still asking for sadness and disappointment of coming out to no bike one day?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #5351
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's parked outside and locked properly with the U-Lock through the frame and rear wheel and the cable lock through the front wheel, you should be fine. Never leave the bike overnight.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #5352
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On another topic, I'm switching jobs and losing my secure indoor bike room. I have a decent-ish commuter ($900 bike with a decent seat on it). If I park it outside in the beltline somewhere with decent foot traffic with a U lock and a cable lock, am I still asking for sadness and disappointment of coming out to no bike one day?
I have a ~$1000 commuter with a u lock and cable. I ride it everywhere downtown for work/recreation and lock the frame/back tire to a structure, then the cable around the front tire. If you have a nice seat, then get another cable or bring a grocery bag to keep it out of sight. I put the bag on for rain protection, but it also keeps my nice Brooks saddle out of sight.

There is always a chance of something happening, but that is a good start.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #5353
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You may wish to consider looking at additional insurance for your bike. You may be able to insure it with a $50 or so deductible, but the overall math may not make sense for you.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #5354
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, I would describe my ride in as spirited. it was a lovely morning out there.

there were a couple of spots in the river valley where there was low hanging "cloud" which I assume was generated by the release of dew from the ground - it was rather pleasing to look at and no wind to speak of.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #5355
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much better smoke situation today. Hopefully it stays clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #5356
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I was stunned at the difference one day made with regards to the smoke in the air
Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #5357
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's basically totally gone, at least on my route I didn't notice it at all. Definitely a relatively cool morning though, nice.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #5358
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
yeah, I was stunned at the difference one day made with regards to the smoke in the air
I found this website the other day trying to forecast if I should ride yesterday (which I did)

http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/BSC00WC04/current/

you can see the smoke coming from northern BC so North/NorthWest winds are terrible for smoke and thats exactly what we got on Sunday in the afternoon when it got smokey.

Long story short, we want more south winds or even west at the very least. just not North.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #5359
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It's pretty funny that the day after complaining about Strava pathletes in busy areas, I almost got myself a ticket on the Eau Claire path this morning near Sien Lok park. I was super late for work, so there was no traffic, and was probably only saved by the fact I'd just come up the underpass under the Centre street bridge. I also assume the guys give a bit of leeway with the 20km/h speed limit if they see you hammer the brakes
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #5360
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find my bike computer at the moment so I actually haven't got a clue how fast I'm going. I've never been ticketed though... Are they stepping that up recently?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Closed Thread