Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2024, 11:59 AM   #41
Leo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sign Hanafin Zadorov and brodie for 10.5 milly each
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM   #42
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I wonder if the Avs would pay something to free up Manson's salary cap.
This is the best idea. Find a vet with a year left and get paid to take him. Let him rumble around in the bottom three and show the kids how to play.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:27 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
This is the best idea. Find a vet with a year left and get paid to take him. Let him rumble around in the bottom three and show the kids how to play.
There's not too many where their salary is an impediment to their current team. Manson might be one, partly because he has two years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:53 PM   #44
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since a lot of people were mentioning trade targets, I thought I'd add them as well.

Potential trade targets:
1 year remaining:
Code:
Player     AGE    SH-POS    NTC/NMC        Contract       G     P      +/-     TOI      xG%     CF%
Orlov      32     LS-LD     No            1 x $7.75M      6     26      6      17:12    56.2    59.6
Ekblad     28     RS-RD     12-team TL    1 x $7.50M      4     18      27     20:51    58.6    57.6
Schmidt    32     LS-D      10-team TL    1 x $5.95M      2     13      9      16:46    55.1    52.2
Suter      39     LS-LD     NMC           1 x $3.65M      2     17      16     18:59    53.7    51.7
Petry      36     RS-RD     15-team NTL   1 x $2.34M      2     22     -7      18:50    46.7    44.7
Savard     33     RS-RD     No            1 x $3.50M      6     20     -2      20:08    45.2    43.7
Ceci       30     RS-RD     No            1 x $3.25M      4     24      11     19:59    52.4    50.8
Maatta     29     LS-LD     No            1 x $3.00M      4     17      16     16:00    48.5    47.2
A couple of interesting names in this group, mostly the first 2 in Ekblad, and Orlov. I doubt Ekblad moves, but he's a pretty good buddy with both Huberdeau and Weegar, and FLA might need the cap space. As for Orlov I thought he was absolutely great with BOS, but CAR is not a great fit. Both players would easily be flipped at the deadline IMO. The rest would have to come with considerable sweetners.

2 years remaining:
Code:
Player     AGE    SH-POS    NTC/NMC        Contract       G     P      +/-     TOI      xG%     CF%
Trouba     30     RS-RD     15-team NTL   2 x $8.00M      3     22     -3      21:19    48.2    46.9
Carlson    34     RS-RD     10-team NTL   2 x $8.00M      8     48     -10     25:47    47.7    47.3
McDonagh   34     LS-LD     NTC           2 x $6.75M      3     29      16     21:43    56.6    52.5
Fowler     32     LS-D      4-team TL     2 x $6.50M      5     36     -36     24:29    44.9    46.8
Chiarot    32     LS-D      10-team NTL   2 x $4.75M      5     19     -4      19:38    45.3    43.2
Gudbranson 32     RS-RD     10-team NTL   2 x $4.00M      6     23     -14     19:35    45.3    45.6
Leddy      33     LS-LD     NTC           2 x $4.00M      3     26      10     22:16    42.7    44.3
Holl       32     RS-RD     10-team NTL   2 x $3.40M      0     5       8      15:04    43.8    45.6
Soucy      29     LS-D      NTC           2 x $3.25M      2     6       8      17:23    51.3    47.7
A lot of bad contracts here. I could potentially see a guy like Trouba, or Gudbranson being fun during a rebuild. That said, I doubt anyone here wants to come to CGY. I also don't want to touch a guy like Chiarot with a 10 ft pole. I doubt any of the players here would be a fit, even if a team was desperate to move them.

3+ years remaining:
Code:
Krug       32     LS-LD     15-team NTL   3 x $6.50M      4     39     -31     21:57    45.7    46.7
Faulk      32     RS-RD     NTC           3 x $6.50M      2     30     -2      21:57    46.5    47.1
Risto      29     RS-RD     No            3 x $5.10M      1     4      -6      16:41    56.7    51.6
Girard     25     LS-D      No            3 x $5.00M      3     18      1      19:39    53.4    54.6
Zub        28     RS-RD     10-team NTL   3 x $4.60M      4     24      7      21:02    53.5    53.2
---
Chabot     27     LS-LD     No            4 x $8.00M      8     28     -4      23:20    50.7    51.4
Graves     28     LS-LD     12-team NTL   5 x $4.50M      3     14      10     18:23    50.1    48.8
I doubt the Flames would want anything to do with the first 3, but if COL wants to move Girard, or OTT Zub for cap reasons CGY should be in on it. As for Chabot and Graves, I think both could be buy low options, and decent players in the long run.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:12 PM   #45
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't see the point in adding another defenceman if they trust Miromanov to eat minutes like he is now.

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Miromanov
Solovyov-Pachal

Okhotiuk as the 7, Hanley as the 8.

Gilbert will walk. Then you'll have Poirier and Brzustewicz both ripping it up on the farm with the opportunity to come up during the season. No need to add anyone.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:19 PM   #46
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't see the point in adding another defenceman if they trust Miromanov to eat minutes like he is now.

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Miromanov
Solovyov-Pachal

Gilbert will walk. Then you'll have Poirier and Brzustewicz both ripping it up on the farm with the opportunity to come up during the season. No need to add anyone.
Miromanov is doing alright with Weegar covering for him, but I think the Flames would be reluctant to ice Kylington - Miromanov, or Kylington - Andersson as a top 4 pairing to start next year.

My money is on the Flames adding a D to play in the top 4. I have no idea if it will be through a trade or free agency, I bet they will be looking for another steadying presence like Tanev on the blueline.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:21 PM   #47
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always wanted Tyler Myers. Big right shot D that can hit and has a big shot from the point! Tre should've gotten him from Buffalo before he ended up with the Jets and then with the Canucks. Likely too old and too expensive for the Flames now.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:09 PM   #48
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
All the players you listed including Miromanov, and Kylington will be fighting for the 4-8 spots. With Miromanov and Kylington as the favorites for the 4-5 spots. I don't see how putting Kylington/Miromanov/Grushnikov/Solovyov with Andersson is going to help their development instead of hindering it. Miromanov - Weegar seems like a decent pairing.

As for losing a player on waivers, I don't think the Flames will be too upset to lose Hanley, Okhotiuk, Solovyov, or Pachal on waivers if they end up as the 9th best D.

Jurmo, Morin, and Brzustewicz will all play some AHL games before joining the Flames.

I think Miromanov and Kylington will be top 4 players next season. I am not even as high on Miromanov as some posters are, but I can't deny he has looked mostly competent thus far. It is actually quite surprising to me that both Kylington and Miromanov have looked this competent. That's why I think that the Flames should NOT go out and sign a better top 4 defencemen to put ahead of these two. i think the increased playing time will benefit both Kylington and Miromanov. Plus, what is the goal here? I think the Flames should be icing a team that is defensively decent enough to provide a good enough development environment for Wolf, as well as any other prospect in any other position. I think they are doing that. It is definitely below average, but it isn't awful either to the point that something must be done.

Yes, I agree that Hanley isn't something to worry about. However, Conroy just sent a 5th for Okhotiuk - I don't think he would be happy in losing him to waivers so soon. In a few years when we know how good he is (and how good he is relative to everyone else in the organization at the time) then you would be right. I just think it is too early to say that these are your 8th or 9th best guys, when they are all 24 and under (Pachal, Okhotiuk and Solovyov).

Yes, I also think that Brzustewicz would probably be in the AHL all season as well. I am merely pointing out that there COULD be a surprise there - especially considering that Morin did look practically NHL ready at the last camp. If he took another big step forward with his off-season, he may make the team. However, I would agree that this would be a long-shot (and he goes back to the CHL, not AHL, but the difference is the same where it relates to the point). Jurmo is a bit more of a wildcard in that he has been playing against men since he was 18 and is physically ready for the NHL, so IF (big if) he has a great first half to his AHL season, then he should be called up and start getting him some familiarity with the NHL as part of his development. That's the advantage of a rebuilding team - you can (and should) get some NHL development time for your prospects.

There are still more options - Grushnikov was the target, and if you believe what Conroy said about him being further ahead in development, then he will need some NHL time next season. Poirier will undoubtedly be spending some time in the NHL as well.

That's already a lot of bodies. Nobody on this list is a player that I would say could be on any contending team's top 4, but the Flames are not that team anyway. Their focus should be on development. Is Calgary a strong defensive team? Absolutely not. I just don't think that there at the level where you NEED to do something to address a glaring issue. They are competent enough defensively and on the transition to provide a good enough development environment for all their prospects - including Wolf.

The only way it makes sense for me is to go out and over-pay for a top 4 defencemen on the UFA market, and then flip that player with retention for an asset. Ok, that's fine. However, I would prefer either:
1) Grab a cap-dump with a sweetener, and then flip that cap dump at the deadline
2) Grabbing a good young defencemen off the waiver wire from a team that has a very good defensive corps
3) Look for other opportunities from anywhere for young defencemen with upside - European UFAs, College UFAs, guys who didn't receive qualifying offers for fear of arbitration cases, guys who had their team walk away due to a high return on a player-elected arbitration case, etc. Whatever it may be, a long-term solution with upside.

I think from the list you provided, the Flames could potentially snag a better defencemen (if they overpay - but doesn't really matter with the cap space). I just don't think that it helps the team more than other options could - not long term anyway. As long as the defence isn't an utter mess of a group being so inept that the environment becomes toxic, I say go with what you have and see if players can grow into their roles, and if good opportunities end up at their feet.

Maybe we just disagree on how bad the Flames are defensively (I think they are below average, but not bad enough that they NEED to make a change). Or maybe we differ on where we see the Flames being in the standings next season. I also do think that there are a lot of bodies already, and adding any more may prevent the Flames from being able to capitalize on an opportunity.

I think if you are a good team, you can't leave a hole open for long into the UFA season. You have to make sure that you fill all the holes before the start of the season. I think rebuilding teams can - and probably should leave a hole open - in order to take advantage of any opportunity that may come their way, as long as it isn't detrimental to the development or culture of the team. I don't see the Flames' having a very big hole in that stance - it is a hole only if the team is supposed to be a playoff team, but it isn't a hole from the standpoint of having a glaring issue that needs to be addressed for a rebuilding team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 06:49 PM   #49
Pekkerhead
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yes to Dillon. We need some toughness.
Pekkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pekkerhead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 06:54 PM   #50
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was just about to post Dillon. Would be an awesome guy to add to a young team, seems like he’s always been a guy to step up when teams take liberties on young star players
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:13 PM   #51
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only reason to sign UFAs is if the Flames give one year contracts to players who they believe could play well enough that they earn interest from playoff teams at the deadline. Those players would likely be the leftovers who couldn't get a long term deal from any team.

I would hate for the Flames to believe they have a hole that needs filling right now. That would be silly unless they're abandoning the rebuild which would also show a complete lack of awareness. Fill the holes from within or on short contracts to gain more assets and embrace this rebuild.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:07 PM   #52
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ian Cole has been signing 1 year contracts for a couple years now. He's 35 and is slowing down, but he's still a steady shutdown guy who's about average on the PK. I'd do a slight overpay on a 1 year for him or a guy like him, just so the young guys have someone with a different skill set to work with and compete against.

He's a bog standard 4/5 defence first player. Left shot. Lots of experience. If he has a decent season someone will want him at the deadline as a 6/7 at worst.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonsays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM   #53
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Miromanov
Solovyov-Pachal

I have no problem with your d pairings if the team is tanking for 1st overall pick. I think conroy will see it differently.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:35 AM   #54
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Weegar-Andersson
Kylington-Miromanov
Solovyov-Pachal

I agree with this and add that while you'd have Poirier and Brzustewicz as offensive Dmen waiting for a call up, you'd also have Kuznetsov and Grushnikov as defensive Dmen waiting for a call up.

Of course, they still haven't signed Kylington, although it's been said on here it's basically inevitable.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over 82 games, there are injuries. You need more depth than that. Even if you're tanking.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:26 AM   #56
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fans who believe the Flames braintrust have embraced a rebuild might be disappointed in this offseason. I don’t think they want to dive to the bottom of the standings. They want the team to be better next season, and I expect they’ll use cap space to improve the roster. I’d be shocked if they pencilled in two rookies/ fringe NHLers to the starting D corps.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 10:55 AM   #57
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Fans who believe the Flames braintrust have embraced a rebuild might be disappointed in this offseason. I don’t think they want to dive to the bottom of the standings. They want the team to be better next season, and I expect they’ll use cap space to improve the roster. I’d be shocked if they pencilled in two rookies/ fringe NHLers to the starting D corps.
I expect they will add a couple UFAs to the lineup.

But I am also confident that they know they are not a playoff team, and with that being the case, that they have to finish bottom 10. They will never say so publicly, but I believe that's the plan.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #58
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on previous rebuilds/retools, I expect the Flames to add some toughness in their UFA signings/trades(Engalland, Brouwer, Bollig). The Flames are currently lacking big hits, guys that can drop the gloves, and guys that can clear the front of the net. Granted it didn't quite work in the past, but IMO it would be important to isolate the rookies a bit from being bullied by the opposition.

On a seperate note, I think that the Flames might get better by cashing in on Andersson now, and signing a Tanev-lite to play with Kylington/Miromanov/Poirier/Brzustewicz in the offseason. Weegar being the security blanket for the other D pairing.

It just seems the Flames have a lot of offensively minded D prospects, and the defensively minded Grushnikov/Solovyov/Jurmo could all use a year or two on the 3rd pairing/AHL before expanding their role.

Last edited by gvitaly; 04-12-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the merits Weegar and Andersson is they’re willing to play here. You can’t say that about a lot of veterans in the league. So I don’t know how easy it would be to just swap them out.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 12:44 PM   #60
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
One of the merits Weegar and Andersson is they’re willing to play here. You can’t say that about a lot of veterans in the league. So I don’t know how easy it would be to just swap them out.
I think there's a difference between, willing to play here, and being a good pro under contract. I don't have information one way or another about how happy Weegar and Andersson are about being on a rebuilding team. I'm sure they would both say all the right things in the media. That said Z was gushing about how he wanted to be here, and then he didn't. Tkachuk and Gaudreau were very complimentary of the management and fans here, but decided to move on etc. My point is that it's hard to tell which conversations go on behind closed doors, because I bet both players want to win/be on a competitive team.

Finally, players willing to be in CGY for too much money, or for too long is sort of what got the Flames into trouble in the first place. Huberdeau was willing to play here, so was Kadri, or Mang, before that we had a bunch of players brought in because they were willing to play here: M. Stone, Hamonic, Neal, Brouwer, etc. This team needs to stop being so insecure, and play to its strengths as a small market team. Once they build a young exciting product on the ice, players will want to be a part of it, no shortcuts.