Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #1521
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I hear you.

I have 2 dogs. I love them to bits. They are not good offleash. They don't listen. It's why I keep them on the leash. And when an off leash dogs comes running up to the kids, my dogs go apes_it. I get so mad when the owner is like "it's ok, my dog likes kids". The problem, as_hat, is that my dogs don't like other dogs going near my kids. I have to keep my dogs from starting a fight, but it means that i may not be as able to intervene quickly if the other dog does something dumb to my kids.

Put your dogs on a leash when you aren't at a dog park. Period. No excuse.
It can happen vice versa as well. I get just as pissed off with people who walk their possessive/aggressive dogs on-leash in an off-leash area, as I do with people who let their dogs roam everywhere.

I see this all the time in a small off leash area by my house. It's gotten to the point that when I see people approaching with big on-leash dogs when mine are running around like idiots, I call my dogs in and leash them until the other people pass.

Seriously you dumb #### don't bring your dog to an off-leash area if it's aggressive. People are just the worst.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #1522
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
My neighbour has no control over his young puppy lab and keeps the thing cooped up in his one bedroom apartment. Watched him pull out a little whip thing once when the dog wouldn't listen to his orders to get inside. I don't really see an issue with a light smack of a dog when they don't listen but seeing him pull out a little whip thing and seeing how scared the dog was of him was a little concerning.
Call 311.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #1523
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
It can happen vice versa as well. I get just as pissed off with people who walk their possessive/aggressive dogs on-leash in an off-leash area, as I do with people who let their dogs roam everywhere.

I see this all the time in a small off leash area by my house. It's gotten to the point that when I see people approaching with big on-leash dogs when mine are running around like idiots, I call my dogs in and leash them until the other people pass.

Seriously you dumb #### don't bring your dog to an off-leash area if it's aggressive. People are just the worst.
I agree with you on this, off leash dog parks bring out the worst kind of owners. We stopped going altogether. We live near the bow river and just walk our dogs on leash down there. We rarely see the "idiot" types down there and the only time we ever have our dogs off leash is when they are swimming and nobody else is around.

Bringing your leashed, overly aggressive dog to the off leash dog park is asking for trouble. This doesn't help socialize your dog, it likely is making it worse as the dog probably feels a bit more anxious with all the crazy, typical dog owners at the dog park. Just silly.

If I had a dog aggressive dog, it would be muzzled on every walk and I would avoid all heavily populated dog parks. Just seems like your dog would thank you for it too.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #1524
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, aggressive dogs on-leash at an off-leash park are just as much of a problem. Being on-leash while the dogs that approach it are off-leash is going to make a dog even more anxious and aggressive.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #1525
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Call 311.
Or you can call the humane society, they have by-law officers on duty who deal with these issues on a regular basis.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #1526
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dear CP,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I'm my kids dad.

We spend quite a bit of time with my inlaws at their acreage, they are looking at getting a Rottweiler. I tried to communicate to them in a diplomatic way that that I would not be comfortable having my children around that breed of dog (or a pitbull). I explained that while some people find them to be good companions and low risk when trained properly they still have that vicious attack instinct bread in and under the right conditions they could snap and the consequence of an attack with them is a lot higher than with other breeds. I am willing to die on this hill and will to go so far as to not let my kids go see the grandparents if they get the Rottweiler. I've got a 100lb dog at home that the kids are around so I am not anti-canine. Am I being too stubborn here? Please only provide replies that validate my opinion.

Thanks,
Clarkey,
Flin Flon Manitoba
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #1527
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just tell them the only way you will continue to visit is if they verify with you that the dog is secured in a barn, or garage or whatever for the entirety of your visit. Don't give them an inch on this.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #1528
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Dear CP,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I'm my kids dad.

We spend quite a bit of time with my inlaws at their acreage, they are looking at getting a Rottweiler. I tried to communicate to them in a diplomatic way that that I would not be comfortable having my children around that breed of dog (or a pitbull). I explained that while some people find them to be good companions and low risk when trained properly they still have that vicious attack instinct bread in and under the right conditions they could snap and the consequence of an attack with them is a lot higher than with other breeds. I am willing to die on this hill and will to go so far as to not let my kids go see the grandparents if they get the Rottweiler. I've got a 100lb dog at home that the kids are around so I am not anti-canine. Am I being too stubborn here? Please only provide replies that validate my opinion.

Thanks,
Clarkey,
Flin Flon Manitoba

My dad played hockey with a Clarkey from Flin Flon a long time ago. You probably aren't him though.

Anyways, you aren't crazy. If you are uncomfortable, tell the grandparents. How that conversation goes will depend on you all.

Good luck.

Last edited by Canehdianman; 06-01-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: a word
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #1529
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was visiting my parents with three kids, all under six at the time. When we arrived, they had a 'surprise', they had taken in a 2 year old cocker spaniel. The first 10 minutes we were there, the dog barked, ran around, and finally started growling. I told my parents the dog either went outside, into the crate or the garage. They said no, the dog was just playing. I went to put it outside and it tried to bite me. I told my parents either the dog goes or me and their grandkids would. Again they said I was worrying about nothing. Packed up the kids and left. About 15 minutes into the trip home, my mom called and asked where we were. I said 'on our way home, enjoy your new dog, if you train it, and control it, we may visit again. You are welcome to visit us, do not bring the dog if you come visit us.'

You get to decide what is safe for your kids not someone else.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #1530
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for your feedback to my somewhat tongue in cheek post. The wife is waffling on this due to her duty to her parents and general blasé attitude towards anything. I am not overprotective compared to most, I let my kids explore the world around them but I will die on this hill.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #1531
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious about why your 100 lb dog is okay but the Rottwieler is not? Their big and look scary, but so does your 100 lb dog. You're comfortable with it, presumably, because you trained it and trust it. But it snapping would have the same high consequences as the Rotty.

I guess it comes down to whether you trust the people to train the dog properly. If not, any dog of significant size would be a problem.

As noted, no one can tell you what you should be comfortable with, especially involving your own kids. I just found it a little odd.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #1532
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most dangerous part of the trip would be the drive. But to address your anxiety, ask your in-laws how well their dog is socialized with other people, including children.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #1533
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

They are your kids, so ultimately, your responsibility. You decide what they can and cannot do, be around, see, hear, etc. If you are uncomfortable with them being around a rottie, then don't let them be around a rottie.

Having said that, I agree with the person above who noted that there's no difference between your 100 pound dog and someone else's 100 pound rottie. Every dog on the planet has the killer attack instinct in them, even the annoying, yappy, rat dogs that soccer moms and Paris Hilton types carry in their purses. They are all animals after all.

It seems unfair to judge a rottie before even seeing said rottie. There are some that should not be around kids, certainly. Others are perfectly gentle. It's the same with every other breed though. My mom has a terrier dog that is about 20 pounds or so that she has to crate when the grandkids are around because he gets crazy eyes and starts biting and growling.

I have a rottie mix (he's about 85 pounds) and he's constantly been around my nephews and niece, the oldest of which is 5. He's never so much as accidentally knocked one down. He's perfectly gentle with them, even when they are kids about it and start pulling his tail or petting him too roughly.

And I have to say, slightly off topic, because I have a rottie mix. it sucks that he gets prejudged all the time. He's a big sweetheart that loves people and other dogs, but he rarely gets much interaction with them, because people will pack up and leave the park when we get there. I am very aware of how people view him and how people are scared of him, so I keep a wide berth while letting them know he's friendly and won't hurt them, if they wanted to approach or pet him. I always keep him on leash and I keep him calm. They just can't help but judge him based on breed and size. He literally stands there, wagging his tail because he wants to play, and they just leave the park.

Meanwhile, unprovoked, my dog was bitten twice by dogs much smaller than him that were off leash and unattended by their owners who were too busy checking their phones to look up. One was a border collie and the other was a poodle looking thing that was wearing some type of vest like the loser dog he was. My dog responded by doing nothing. He could have killed them both, but he didn't.

If a dog viciously biting him or a kid pulling his tail doesn't evoke a killer attack instinct, I am not sure what would outside of someone attacking me. He's perfectly safe to be around, but he has almost no doggie friends because they won't let their dogs play with mine because he's a big rottie and therefore a violent killer. End rant.

Anyway, you can't judge a dog by breed, IMO. You have to judge individual dogs. If you feel like your parents are responsible dog owners, go and check the dog out yourself when they get it and see what he's like and how they are with it. If they are training it and working with it, it should be fine around kids.

As another slightly off topic rant, I will also say that it's your responsibility to train your kids on appropriately dealing with any dog. I've had people approach mine and only to have them start pulling his tail. The parents said and did nothing. I had to tell the kids how to nicely pet the dog.

tl;dr -- All dogs have the potential to hurt. Be a responsible owner. Be a responsible parent and everyone will get along. My dog is a super sweet gentle giant.

And I'm not suggesting you aren't responsible with your kids. That was my general rant on the topic.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #1534
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post, EG. My neighbour has a pitbull. It may quite possibly be the nicest dog I've ever encountered. She was attacked by a husky/malamute on the sidewalk. It took part of her ear off. Zero reaction, she did not retaliate.

My sister had a golden lab. My niece when she was very small grabbed this poor guy by the balls to pull herself up. No reaction. Well trained dogs don't do crappy things to people, especially small ones. It's the the breed, it's the owner.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #1535
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

It raises the question- why are the grandparents getting a rottie? In your case EG- I am guessing that you didn't go out in search of a rottie-cross; you wanted a dog and the dog you now have won your heart. I was the same way- I wanted a medium to big dog that I could play with; and not worry about hurting him.

For the grandparents, do they want one to protect the house? If so, if the dog is trained to protect the house the dog might be more inclined to act aggressively towards people coming up that the dog doesn't immediately recognize. I would be more concerned about why they say they want this kind of dog, as any dog they get and is trained to defend might be more likely to over-defend the house.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #1536
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
It raises the question- why are the grandparents getting a rottie? In your case EG- I am guessing that you didn't go out in search of a rottie-cross; you wanted a dog and the dog you now have won your heart. I was the same way- I wanted a medium to big dog that I could play with; and not worry about hurting him.

For the grandparents, do they want one to protect the house? If so, if the dog is trained to protect the house the dog might be more inclined to act aggressively towards people coming up that the dog doesn't immediately recognize. I would be more concerned about why they say they want this kind of dog, as any dog they get and is trained to defend might be more likely to over-defend the house.
I am going out on a limb here and guessing the GP's want a Rottwieler because they are absolutely amazing dogs and when trained properly they along with Pitbull Types can be the best possible companion for a family out there.

As iterated multiple times in this thread, a good owner with good knowledge of the breed is paramount when purchasing any animal with the ability to do harm.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #1537
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a very interesting situation to consider.

The inlaws just got a female Bernese mountain dog last week. The puppy is like 8-9 weeks old and already weighs 20 lbs.

Their previous dog was very mild mannered and well trained, but was only about 45 lbs. This new one will easily top 100 lbs when full grown.

The wife and I have a 3 year old, and are expecting a new addition any week now. Certainly a consideration of how the dog will be allowed to interact with the kids when we visit.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #1538
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

That is my concern, for everybody who wants a Rottwieler due to them being great dogs when trained properly, there are others who want them and will not invest the time and effort into training.

I had a room mate who had a Rottwieler- and he was a great dog. I could train him to do just about anything; usually pretty quick as well. Unfortunately my room mate did not spend the time with him that is needed, and after I moved out apparently things went further downhill for the dog. The dog would intentionally do things that would get him into trouble, as that was the only attention he would ever get. The room mate never "got" why the dog would defecate in the house when I wasn't home; and then would also never do it when I was home. The dog knew what to do to get my attention, and how to ask me to go for a walk.

So yes, get a Rottwieler if you have the time to spend with a smart, loving and loyal dog. Do not get one if the main reason is "they are badass."
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #1539
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Call 311.
Saw this thread bumped so I thought I'd give an update as I've been keeping on eye on this dog for a bit. The dog is now a big lab. Looks almost fully grown.

I still feel bad that he's stuck in a tiny unit but since he's been getting big the owner has been taking him out a lot more and the dog seems a lot more calm and behaved now. I'm a lot less concerned now.

I am annoyed that the guy leaves him on a long leash outside of his unit as his unit is right beside the entrance.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #1540
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
They are your kids, so ultimately, your responsibility. You decide what they can and cannot do, be around, see, hear, etc. If you are uncomfortable with them being around a rottie, then don't let them be around a rottie.

Having said that, I agree with the person above who noted that there's no difference between your 100 pound dog and someone else's 100 pound rottie. Every dog on the planet has the killer attack instinct in them, even the annoying, yappy, rat dogs that soccer moms and Paris Hilton types carry in their purses. They are all animals after all.

It seems unfair to judge a rottie before even seeing said rottie. There are some that should not be around kids, certainly. Others are perfectly gentle. It's the same with every other breed though. My mom has a terrier dog that is about 20 pounds or so that she has to crate when the grandkids are around because he gets crazy eyes and starts biting and growling.

I have a rottie mix (he's about 85 pounds) and he's constantly been around my nephews and niece, the oldest of which is 5. He's never so much as accidentally knocked one down. He's perfectly gentle with them, even when they are kids about it and start pulling his tail or petting him too roughly.

And I have to say, slightly off topic, because I have a rottie mix. it sucks that he gets prejudged all the time. He's a big sweetheart that loves people and other dogs, but he rarely gets much interaction with them, because people will pack up and leave the park when we get there. I am very aware of how people view him and how people are scared of him, so I keep a wide berth while letting them know he's friendly and won't hurt them, if they wanted to approach or pet him. I always keep him on leash and I keep him calm. They just can't help but judge him based on breed and size. He literally stands there, wagging his tail because he wants to play, and they just leave the park.

Meanwhile, unprovoked, my dog was bitten twice by dogs much smaller than him that were off leash and unattended by their owners who were too busy checking their phones to look up. One was a border collie and the other was a poodle looking thing that was wearing some type of vest like the loser dog he was. My dog responded by doing nothing. He could have killed them both, but he didn't.

If a dog viciously biting him or a kid pulling his tail doesn't evoke a killer attack instinct, I am not sure what would outside of someone attacking me. He's perfectly safe to be around, but he has almost no doggie friends because they won't let their dogs play with mine because he's a big rottie and therefore a violent killer. End rant.

Anyway, you can't judge a dog by breed, IMO. You have to judge individual dogs. If you feel like your parents are responsible dog owners, go and check the dog out yourself when they get it and see what he's like and how they are with it. If they are training it and working with it, it should be fine around kids.

As another slightly off topic rant, I will also say that it's your responsibility to train your kids on appropriately dealing with any dog. I've had people approach mine and only to have them start pulling his tail. The parents said and did nothing. I had to tell the kids how to nicely pet the dog.

tl;dr -- All dogs have the potential to hurt. Be a responsible owner. Be a responsible parent and everyone will get along. My dog is a super sweet gentle giant.

And I'm not suggesting you aren't responsible with your kids. That was my general rant on the topic.
Your dog sounds lovely. You could try using a bit of empathy however.

I have had many experiences with dominant dog breeds exhibiting very aggressive behaviour, and the owner doesn't care in the slightest. In the last two weeks alone I've had two instances of owners unwilling and/or unable to control their pit bulls in off leash areas, who were being very aggressive with my dog and others, pinning animals down, growling, barking, biting (ie. "playing" according to the owners), and most importantly not heeding any warnings from the other dog that they want to be left alone and not listening to their owner trying to recall them. Have had other similar experiences in the past some of which I've posted here. It continues to happen.

I don't "pack up and leave" when I see a pit bull, and I continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I have to admit that now when I see one approaching, I am on the alert and ready to intervene immediately which I've had to do a number of times. If I hadn't in the past, there have been two situations where I'm unsure whether my dog would be alive or not, or at least seriously injured. I allow my dog to interact, and I've found that it's pretty much 50/50 on whether there's going to be a scene or not with this particular breed. You can usually tell right away.

I agree with what you're saying that all dogs are animals and have the ability to injure, but this means exactly squat. Google a list of dog fatalities by breed. 90% of them are pit bulls. Whether that's because the breed attracts ######bag owners, whether it's because they're very powerful animals and therefore when they do attack they do more damage, or whether it's because they're genetically more aggressive - it doesn't matter. The bottom line is that now when I see one of these animals, I get nervous.

You could try to be a bit sympathetic with people who may have had bad experiences with rottweilers in the past. Though I will note that every rottie I've ever met has been wonderful, I only have had these issues with pit bulls. This is all just my own personal experience, just as you are coming to conclusions based on your own experience.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking