Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #941
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am always shooting to do the Mackenzie towne homestretch in 28 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Just don't do it on a segment were I have a decent time. They're few and far between.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #942
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am always shooting to do the Mackenzie towne homestretch in 28 seconds
hahaha I had a good tailwind to get my 29 seconds. I always take the road when there's a breeze behind me. I'm sure the cars don't appreciate it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #943
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take the road every time I ride home as I try to hammer it. If I am on my mtn bike or fat bike I take the path.

I do get a little nervous in the traffic circle though. Last week I had a good tailwind, but got hung up at the lights.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #944
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went out last night to take a look at the ring road construction and the new path around Glenmore resivoir. Was an great evening ride. The tunnel they built underneath south land is really nice. Wide and well lit. Much better than an overpass like at Anderson. Looks like heritage will be the same
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #945
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I went out last night to take a look at the ring road construction and the new path around Glenmore resivoir. Was an great evening ride. The tunnel they built underneath south land is really nice. Wide and well lit. Much better than an overpass like at Anderson. Looks like heritage will be the same
There was a problem with ice a few weeks ago. Was basically a crashed ice course. Hoping it wont be as bad when the whole project is finished.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #946
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

So I use Strava with my Apple watch and both the app on my phone and my watch are severely underestimating my calories. I can see it flatlining my calories, and it's annoying me as I'm the type of person who competes with myself, and Strava is cheating me.

Anyone ever seen this before?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #947
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
So I use Strava with my Apple watch and both the app on my phone and my watch are severely underestimating my calories. I can see it flatlining my calories, and it's annoying me as I'm the type of person who competes with myself, and Strava is cheating me.

Anyone ever seen this before?

I see that Strava is overly generous with some things. Unless you count everything as a race, it overrides all of your other settings (for example on my Garmin).
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #948
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I see that Strava is overly generous with some things. Unless you count everything as a race, it overrides all of your other settings (for example on my Garmin).
So this morning, I rode 16km in 40 minutes. I used my Apple Watch activity app as well as Strava. Strava decided that I burned 216 calories, and Apple had me at around 500. Using an average HR of 130 BPM and my age and weight, I get around 500 in a calculator. WTF Strava!
Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #949
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP anyone riding North on the way home today.
It seems like I'm always battling the wind living in south and coming into downtown, but not today!
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #950
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
So this morning, I rode 16km in 40 minutes. I used my Apple Watch activity app as well as Strava. Strava decided that I burned 216 calories, and Apple had me at around 500. Using an average HR of 130 BPM and my age and weight, I get around 500 in a calculator. WTF Strava!

After I upload most of my activities, I am similarly left with a "WTF Strava! moment, albeit for what seems to be the exact opposite reason as yours.

Cycling is tricky though isn't it for calculating calories without some kind of power meter, no?

For my return home one day, I only rode 13km on a pretty flat to downhill route. I actually had my brakes on most of the time because I was trying not to get too far ahead of my son. There is no way that was 463 calories effort. I mean, I am in okay shape but I felt like I didn't expend any effort there.

Speed 12.7km/h
Avg Heart Rate 116bpm
Calories 463
Elapsed Time 1:07:40
Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #951
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
RIP anyone riding North on the way home today.
It seems like I'm always battling the wind living in south and coming into downtown, but not today!
Fortunately I made it home before it got really bad, but ya, it sucked for a bit.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #952
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the Deep South, it was not really a tail wind coming home, but I was able to hammer it along the river.

Moderately disappointed at my strava results, but have tracked my commute so many times now it is getting harder to set PRs and when I do I am just shaving a second or thee off..

Was dripping in sweat though and had to hang my head between my legs in the garage for a 90 seconds or so
Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #953
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone here cycle commute to bow valley square. The shop is relocating there in two weeks and I would like some intel on the bike parking situation and change room set up
Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #954
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Does anyone here cycle commute to bow valley square. The shop is relocating there in two weeks and I would like some intel on the bike parking situation and change room set up
It's been a few years since I worked there but:

- there are multiple cages scattered through the various levels of the parkade
- cages were chainlink with a magnetic lock
- no building showers, but individual tenants may have constructed facilities of their own (they built a new fitness center on the +30 level, this might have changed)

It's functional but not a palace.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #955
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did the bow valley club survive? When I was a member a few years ago, they had top-shelf facilities. Spotless clean showers, towel service, so much hair care product that I didn't know what most of it was...

And yes, cages downstairs. But I've also seen a number shifty-looking dudes hanging out inside the parkade.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #956
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're going more than 10 km/h over the posted speed limit, the fine is now $400, up from $50. The bylaw was updated in March of this year.

"Fines have increased substantially.… So if it's posted at 20 and you're caught doing 30, 35, 40, a summons under the parks and pathways bylaw is now $400," said Sgt. Fausto Ricioppo, who is with the city's community standards division.
Those speeding but less than 10 km/h over the limit can be dinged $150.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...160946?cmp=rss

Careful out there, this seems a bit ridiculous. I'm sure dog owners without control of their animal won't be getting $400 fines...This could really sting in those 10km/h zones...10km/h is basically a jogging pace. Get caught going 15? $150? Great.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #957
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

way back when i used to think that pathway speed enforcement early in the morning seemed silly as most riders were going into downtown and getting to work.

i get the afternoon enforcement though as the pathway is much busier.

Other than around sandy beach, and once near lynnview ridge, i have yet to see ongoing speed enforcement on the pathways
Old 06-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #958
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind a bit of enforcement, but the fines are bonkers. What's the speeding ticket for going 10km over in a car, $80? $400 is nuts.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #959
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t that equivalent to speeding in a playground zone though? What’s the fine for doing 10 over in a car in a playground zone?

25 would be a more reasonable speed on the pathways.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
  • 1-15 km/hr over : $78 - $120
  • 16-30 km/hr over : $140 - $239
  • 31-50 km/hr over : $253 - $474
  • 51+ km/hr over : $650 - $2000, plus the potential for a driver’s license suspension
https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...t-alberta.html

Fines double in a school zone, so you'd have to be going 50ish km/h to get an equivalent ticket in a car, that can kill people a lot easier than a bike.