Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #481
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Interesting blog post with many links, including links to the rcap document I posted earlier.

If relocation is the answer, what is the question?

http://apihtawikosisan.com/2016/04/i...-the-question/

The main thesis here: the problem is colonialism. Not isolation.
I would argue the problem is integration, not colonialism. It's not much of an increase in opportunity, or integration, if you move from a rural reserve into an urban ghetto.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #482
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Basically a conversation between a scientist and a social scientist
Basically? One IS a scientist.. the other is journalist with an undergrad degree...not even close.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #483
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Basically? One IS a scientist.. the other is journalist with an undergrad degree...not even close.
Basically, a scientist and someone with a social science education.

Still interesting.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #484
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
I still think the one with an undergrad degree won.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #485
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Even if you disagree with some of the things Peterson says, he has a very good way of making his point.

A lot like Sam Harris, IMO. Watch the video of Harris trying to argue with Ben Affleck on the Bill Maher show.

I think that is a big reason why people love Peterson so much. He appeals to a lot of the things all of us struggle with. Can't believe he's only been in the spotlight for such a short time.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #486
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Even if you disagree with some of the things Peterson says, he has a very good way of making his point.

A lot like Sam Harris, IMO. Watch the video of Harris trying to argue with Ben Affleck on the Bill Maher show.

I think that is a big reason why people love Peterson so much. He appeals to a lot of the things all of us struggle with. Can't believe he's only been in the spotlight for such a short time.
Why is it surprising? It’s not like every intellectual or well-spoken professional is in the spotlight.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #487
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can you explain what you mean by a good way of making his point means?

He trolls the left beautifully and stays calm when they attack making him piles of money. This is a deliberate attempt to maintain fame.

The rest seems like generic life coach stuff
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #488
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's interesting is how someone who speaks with the erudition of Peterson has managed to become a public intellectual at all. We're accustomed to public figures speaking in simplistic and sentimental ways about even the most complex issues. The first I heard of Peterson was when he was interviewed on CBC when the gender pronoun thing came out, and I was immediately struck with the sophistication of the ideas he was trying to get across, and the utter failure of the interviewer to understand or address his arguments.

It's almost unheard for people to talk in the media about social and political issues in that way. Even highly intelligent people discussing complex issues almost always dumb down their message and the way they deliver it to the public. Peterson doesn't do that. And I think that's part of his appeal - the public can handle more complexity than the gatekeepers in the media gives them credit for. And social issues aren't simply matters of common sentiment - there are stubbornly complex ethical and ideological issues at the root of them.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #489
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He trolls the left beautifully and stays calm when they attack making him piles of money. This is a deliberate attempt to maintain fame.
Do you honestly think his motivation is money?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #490
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

It is pretty fascinating how carniverously people consume some of his platitudes are something profound.

He’s calm, steady, educated, and carries himself as a father figure to lost boys. He’s very good at raising him own profile and making money. Even when you read through 12 Rules, there’s little in there worth more than your basic self-help guide, but like how the Kon-Mari method monetised folding laundry and throwing out garbage, he’s made platitudes into dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Oh... honey

Last edited by PepsiFree; 04-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #491
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I think his trolling of journalists and panel participation is financially motivated. Maybe vanity motivated. Certainly not a selfless act driven to improve others by spreading his philosophy or because he wants to fight against using others preferred pro-nouns.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #492
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why is it surprising? It’s not like every intellectual or well-spoken professional is in the spotlight.
There is a reason his fame has gone crazy and it has a lot to do with how he explains things.

I disagree with Sam Harris on a lot of stuff but he has a VERY good way of explaining things where you can quickly understand his point even if you don't agree with it.

Peterson is the same way, hence his popularity.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #493
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

But he's not just another right-wing nut. He's educated and does a good job explaining his side. In the meantime he makes money.

The views he holds are views a lot of people hold, but not everyone can bring it across in the way he does.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #494
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
It is pretty fascinating how carniverously people consume some of his platitudes are something profound.

He’s calm, steady, educated, and carries himself as a father figure to lost boys. He’s very good at raising him own profile and making money. Even when you read through 12 Rules, there’s little in there worth more than your basic self-help guide, but like how the Kon-Mari method monetised folding laundry and throwing out garbage, he’s made platitudes into dollars.
I don't get your point. Peterson has openly said that a LOT of what he says and has written about are 'original' ideas. That doesn't mean that he or many others aren't capable of taking something that has been said a hundred times and say it better in a way that is more appealing and easier to understand.

"There is little in there worth more than your basic shelf-help guide."

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Going by the reaction of people who have read his book and watched his lectures or speeches, there is a LOT more in there than just your basic self-help guide. Your arrogance in trying to reduce the difference he's made in people's lives to nothing but 'basic self help' is strange.

He's not just a professor thrown in the spotlight. He is a clinical psychologist who obviously has a lot of experience working with troubled kids who you so sarcastically refer to as 'lost boys' as if there if something wrong with appealing to that demographic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #495
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Going by the reaction of people who have read his book and watched his lectures or speeches, there is a LOT more in there than just your basic self-help guide. Your arrogance in trying to reduce the difference he's made in people's lives to nothing but 'basic self help' is strange.

He's not just a professor thrown in the spotlight. He is a clinical psychologist who obviously has a lot of experience working with troubled kids who you so sarcastically refer to as 'lost boys' as if there if something wrong with appealing to that demographic.
Question: Have you read the book?

I actually have, and, there is nothing in it that puts it above any other self-help guide, aside from it’s specific audience (which is a rare focus). I don’t see how it’s arrogant, I’m not the first person to think so and I’m unlikely the last. Lots of self-help guides make a difference in people’s lives, what gives you the right to place the difference Peterson makes to young men above any other basic self-help guide makes to anyone else?

I’m aware of who he is, and I’m aware of how he put himself in the spotlight very particularly.

As I said, I find it very fascinating how people (your post is a good example) just sort of... embrace it, because he’s speaking to an audience who isn’t normally spoken to. It’s rarely concrete examples of what is so astounding about it, it’s things like “He’s a clinical psychologist, so it MUST be good”... or “People say it helped them! So it MUST be more than basic!” and, weirdly, this seems to be from people who haven’t even read the thing.

Not everything he says is gold, he makes some interesting points, and, I think, is good at making people think of things in a different way. But it’s just strange watching him gather this cult-like status, people just blindly defending anything and everything, sight unseen, and throwing their money towards him.

Among all the help he provides are some basic, sometimes stupid or funny, sometimes just socially conservative ideas backed up by... religion, a lot of the time. So I guess that’s fine if that’s what you’re happy with.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #496
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peterson speaks to a lot of people who aren't being spoken to. He gives them a vision of a worthwhile life. It's fascinating in its simplicity.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #497
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Purposely misgendering a trans person is one of the biggest piece of #### moves someone can do. It's disrespectful and hurtful to their dignity as a human being. I see him as nothing more than an ignorant and spiteful dickhead.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #498
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Purposely misgendering a trans person is one of the biggest piece of #### moves someone can do. It's disrespectful and hurtful to their dignity as a human being. I see him as nothing more than an ignorant and spiteful dickhead.
When did he do this? Peterson has said that he has no issue calling people by their preferred pronouns. His issue has been against compelled speech, and his argument is a good one.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #499
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh... honey
I guess we'll have to wait and see what he does with his money. If he stays in his modest suburban home, or if he goes all David Suzuki and buys four homes, including an $8 mil mansion.

But he was doing all this stuff - the lectures, the videos, the books - before he made any money. And he's looking at different plans for the patreon money he's made, including a free online university program.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #500
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like Deepak Chopra.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote