Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #7741
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Lately I've seen at least a couple articles pop up on the Athletic that talk about the Oilers filling their needs at the upcoming draft.

That's exactly the problem, Oilers! You don't go to the draft looking to fill your immediate "needs". Unless you're there to make a trade a la Treliving. Otherwise, you end up forcing a young player into your NHL lineup on opening night and ultimately ruining him.

They'll never figure it out up there.
I certainly hope not.

That Franchise has been the laughing-stock of Professional Sport for over a decade and I for one have been enjoying every single minute and will continue to do so.

The fact that they have this mental complex where they think they've fixed all of their mistakes only to realize that they've just made all new mistakes just makes it all the sweeter.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #7742
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I wonder if a team would take Lucic and the 1st rounder unprotected for bag of pucks. With the term and NMC it might take more than that. That is the sort of thing the Oilers should consider since it is the worst contract and would give them a bunch of flexibility until they pissed that away on July 1st.
A team like Arizona comes to mind for this type of deal. If that were to happen in the offseason there are four full years of looch left. I don't think an unprotected first would be enough to get the deal done. Probably also need to add a decent prospect +. The price would get so high that it would not be worth it for Edmonton. What a mess... stay in cap jail, do not pass go!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #7743
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
This is going to be the funniest rebuild yet. The one where they first have to wait out some contracts.
Remember the days when we were laughing about the wonder kids and their 6 x 6 deals?

RNH only has 2 years left and is decent value for the deal
Hall has one year left and is amazing value at 6 million for a Hart winner
Eberle has been underwhelming this year but his contract is done and off the books this year.

They could have done absolutely nothing at all, and they would have a better team than they have now.

8 x 8.5 for Draisatl...
7 x 6 for Lucic
4 million for Talbackup
3 x 4.5 for Koskinen
2.25 million for Manning
2 million for 2 years of waive wire Spooner

Chia was impressive!
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #7744
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Don't forget Russell.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #7745
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Don't forget Russell.
I like how 4x4 was the one who posted this...
Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #7746
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm curious as to hypothetically how much cap space they would have saved if each one of those bloated deals was negotiated by a competent GM.

You have to think Draisaitl could've been signed to Johnny's cap hit given he only had one good year for leverage, inflated by McD. Russell could've been signed for an AAV of about 3, even then that would be just an "okay" deal (similar to Stone's). Koskinen's play has declined and by season's end (had they waited) wouldn't be a hot commodity, probably could be retained for 2-3 AAV.

That's already 4-5M.

And call me crazy but I think a guy like Treliving could've even shaved the great 97's deal down to say, 11 per. Less of an issue though cause he's the heart and soul of the organization.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #7747
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Unfortuantely Interim GM Keith Gretzky has inherited significant cap challenges.
They spelled "predictably" wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #7748
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm curious as to hypothetically how much cap space they would have saved if each one of those bloated deals was negotiated by a competent GM.

You have to think Draisaitl could've been signed to Johnny's cap hit given he only had one good year for leverage, inflated by McD. Russell could've been signed for an AAV of about 3, even then that would be just an "okay" deal (similar to Stone's). Koskinen's play has declined and by season's end (had they waited) wouldn't be a hot commodity, probably could be retained for 2-3 AAV.

That's already 4-5M.

And call me crazy but I think a guy like Treliving could've even shaved the great 97's deal down to say, 11 per. Less of an issue though cause he's the heart and soul of the organization.

Extremely doubtful.

McDavid gave the Oilers a discount on his last deal. He could have just told them nothing less than the max or i am not signing and they would have had zero options (in reality) than to agree. He potentially left over 17 million dollars on the table.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #7749
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Oilers fans' best hope is for a prolonged players lockout, so that one-time compliance buy-outs happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #7750
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Oilers fans' best hope is for a prolonged players lockout, so that one-time compliance buy-outs happen.
Would Katz be willing to fork over 25M+ to correct mistakes? Probably doesn't blink knowing the masses will continue to drink the water and buy anything associated to the brand.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #7751
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

That's already 4-5M.

I went into that offseason thinking the expected range for McDavid and Drai combined would be in the range of $16 million at the low end, to $20 million at the high end. There really was no reason to go more than $7millon on Drai.

Together they signed for $21 million, more than what a reasonable fan of their rival thought would be the high end for them combined.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #7752
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

McDavid running away with the scoring race that year is what made it difficult to fathom any less than what he signed for.

And yet today the guys ahead of him in scoring are making 6.75MM, 894K, and 9.5MM.

I dunno, whenever you're wading into contracts that are more expensive than anything ever signed before, hard to say what's a good deal or what's too much.

A premium for dragging the corpse of that team around for the full 8 year term does make sense to me though.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #7753
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No one can save the oilers

Not a prolonged lockout.

Not a lockout that lasts a deacade to engage compliance buy-outs.

Not a lockout that lasts two decades.

No one can help the oilers.
No one.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #7754
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oilers fans' best hope is for a prolonged players lockout, so that one-time compliance buy-outs happen...
... and they wouldn't have to watch any games.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #7755
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
... and they wouldn't have to watch any games.

and if it was an entire season they'd be able to hang another banner for an 'undefeated season'
Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #7756
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Extremely doubtful.

McDavid gave the Oilers a discount on his last deal. He could have just told them nothing less than the max or i am not signing and they would have had zero options (in reality) than to agree. He potentially left over 17 million dollars on the table.
Anyone think he spends a lot of time these days regretting that? We will never know the details but either his agent did a terrible job at negotiating or McDavid got caught up in the Kool-Aid or winning a playoff round after a decade of being no good. It's one thing to waste the prime years of your career in that mess but doing at a discount is pretty dumb.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM   #7757
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Remember the days when we were laughing about the wonder kids and their 6 x 6 deals?

RNH only has 2 years left and is decent value for the deal
Hall has one year left and is amazing value at 6 million for a Hart winner
Eberle has been underwhelming this year but his contract is done and off the books this year.

They could have done absolutely nothing at all, and they would have a better team than they have now.

8 x 8.5 for Draisatl...
7 x 6 for Lucic
4 million for Talbackup
3 x 4.5 for Koskinen
2.25 million for Manning

Chia was impressive!
It feels like it wasn't that long ago the city was parading about drafting "The Nuge" 1st overall and now he's only got 2 more years left on his jail sentence. They totally wasted his prime years and now it's only a matter of when he's traded because he's one of the few trading chips they have left.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 AM   #7758
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anyone think he spends a lot of time these days regretting that? We will never know the details but either his agent did a terrible job at negotiating or McDavid got caught up in the Kool-Aid or winning a playoff round after a decade of being no good. It's one thing to waste the prime years of your career in that mess but doing at a discount is pretty dumb.

McDavid would not have thought of it that way.... he would have thought that by him being on the team, that things would be much improved, it was going to be a really good team. That's not a knock on him - it's just human nature.

Now... a good GM would have signed McDavid for just over the maximum of all other contracts - that's what McDavid wanted - to be the highest paid. I have no doubt that BT would have signed McDavid for somewhere around 11 million per. You sell it to McDavid as having room to sign great players around him... so he can break records - that's the stuff that McDavid wants - and championships. Why do you think Sidney gets 8.7 million per - same reason. Do you really think that Sidney just gets 8.7? (talking about sponsorships, etc.) McDavid is getting more then 12.5 as well.... and if the Oilers' were winning - it just means more - that 1.5 million dollar shortfall would become a windfall - but with the Oilers losing, it just won't grow as quick and as fast - that 1.5 million will cost McDavid more money, more records, and more championship (potentially) - so greed is keeping him and the Oilers trapped in cap hell.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #7759
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do people keep thinking that a lockout is required for compliance buy-outs to happen?

Whatever new CBA they shart out will probably have some buy-out mechanism, regardless whether there is a lockout or not. The players' union likes them, and GMs like them, so there you go.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #7760
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
8 x 8.5 for Draisatl...
7 x 6 for Lucic
4 million for Talbackup
3 x 4.5 for Koskinen
2.25 million for Manning

Let's look at this.... I think a competent GM gets this:

McDavid 11 (1.5)
Draisaitl 7 (1.5)
Koskinen 3 (1.5)
Russell 3 (1)

That's 5.5 million - that's a really good player.
Closed Thread