Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #7721
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
When your local NHL hockey team is complete trash and an embarrassment to the sporting world, THIS is the kind of stuff you brag about.
This is why Rider fans 'attendance shame' other CFL fans. After they have lost, they basically spend all their time quantifying how much more merchandise their team sells, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #7722
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

2750 piece of junk, oil burning, tar coated, McDonald wastebaskets on wheels. They’re actually probably aesthetically improved with an oilers plate, which is saying a hell of a lot.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #7723
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
It also might mean Flames fans are more intelligent / have more expensive cars than Oiler fans. Personally I'm 'fan enough' to want to have a Flames plate. But then I remember that I go to Edmonton in my car every so often and if there ever was a 'vandalize my car please' sign, it's having a rival team's colors on your car!
Exactly. After reading the ATL after the last win against them, they wanted all of the Flames players injured or dead so they wouldn't think twice about messing up your car.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #7724
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Why not just hit the little arrow beside the thread on the main page? One click gets you to the first unread.

That would be because in over a decade I somehow just thought that was a thread icon. Like a favicon.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #7725
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
Exactly. After reading the ATL after the last win against them, they wanted all of the Flames players injured or dead so they wouldn't think twice about messing up your car.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
No kidding. They were hoping for Lucic to run Rittich showing the video of when he ran over Ryan Miller. They always hope for Johnny to get hurt in their threads. Not a lot of class for sure.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #7726
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Eh, we'll give them this one. They beat us fair and square
Congrats on selling the most team licence plates Oilers fans.

You did it, you won.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-28-2019 at 05:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #7727
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

You did it, you won.
Well, there are a lot more Oiler fans making license plates too, so it is a virtuous circle of life if you will...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 01-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #7728
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

You did it, you won.
Raise the banner!
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #7729
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

They only bought more because they’re buying the plates in sets of 6. Someone should tell them they’re not for eating dinner off of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM   #7730
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is promising that the Oilers will get back from the break to face a Flyers team already in game shape and on a hot streak. Could be a fun game.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #7731
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macindoc View Post
raise the banner!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1088874763311706112
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:20 AM   #7732
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Isn't the fact that they are buying these plates with the crap they are forced to watch part of the problem and why things will not be changing in Edmonton for some time to come?

I have heard that a lot of seasons tickets are coming due because an original commitment of three years was made on many of the seats in the new building. There is also speculation that the Oilers owners and management are worried about renewals. No worries Jonesy! There will be lots of license plate buying, sweat "suit" wearing people ready to jump at the chance to become Tier 1 and watch what the Coil have to offer for years to come (in a sold out building).

Last edited by Azhouse; 01-29-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #7733
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw an Oilers plate this morning on my drive to work. They are much uglier than the Flames ones. At least that person can feel comfortable in Calgary with that plate as nobody is going to key their car. In fact people will probably have pity on them.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #7734
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lately I've seen at least a couple articles pop up on the Athletic that talk about the Oilers filling their needs at the upcoming draft.

That's exactly the problem, Oilers! You don't go to the draft looking to fill your immediate "needs". Unless you're there to make a trade a la Treliving. Otherwise, you end up forcing a young player into your NHL lineup on opening night and ultimately ruining him.

They'll never figure it out up there.
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #7735
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Lately I've seen at least a couple articles pop up on the Athletic that talk about the Oilers filling their needs at the upcoming draft.

That's exactly the problem, Oilers! You don't go to the draft looking to fill your immediate "needs". Unless you're there to make a trade a la Treliving. Otherwise, you end up forcing a young player into your NHL lineup on opening night and ultimately ruining him.

Wow... I never thought of it that way... but you are totally right. Draft the best player available at the time.

The Oilers' also rush everyone, including McDavid.Connor may have been ready for the NHL, but to put a 'C' on his chest - the pressure to perform must have been through the roof with him.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #7736
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Stauffer now preparing the fan base for the ugly cap dump deals. How many assets will they spend to get out of Chia's mess?

Bob Stauffer @Bob_Stauffer
Obviously the Edmonton Oilers are in need of a different dynamic at forward and could use some scoring depth.
Unfortuantely Interim GM Keith Gretzky has inherited significant cap challenges.
Logic dictates that the Oilers need to off-load some money before they can add anything.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #7737
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

What "money" on the Oilers does anyone want? RNH maybe. If he slots as a 3C on a good team he's kind of expensive though. Draisaitl I'd want a little salary retained to make him at winger money. But they aren't getting rid of him. Russell? Nope. Looch? Nope.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #7738
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is going to be the funniest rebuild yet. The one where they first have to wait out some contracts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #7739
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if a team would take Lucic and the 1st rounder unprotected for bag of pucks. With the term and NMC it might take more than that. That is the sort of thing the Oilers should consider since it is the worst contract and would give them a bunch of flexibility until they pissed that away on July 1st.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #7740
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just saw an Oilers plate this morning on my drive to work. They are much uglier than the Flames ones. At least that person can feel comfortable in Calgary with that plate as nobody is going to key their car. In fact people will probably have pity on them.
Yep. Fandom and rivalry aside, the Oilers plates are legitimately ugly. The orange will clash with any car colour that is not white. They could have done much better with that one.
Closed Thread