Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #701
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woolley voted no to a plebiscite discussion is all.

It doesn't mean he was for or against it. He voted against dragging this on until February to further discuss it some more and decide if a plebiscite is needed, which of course would drag it on even more.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #702
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is the feeling that we are closer to the death of this idiotic scheme? Is this a positive development?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #703
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
So is the feeling that we are closer to the death of this idiotic scheme? Is this a positive development?
It's a negative one, only because it draws it out for another 4+ months.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #704
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Woolley voted no to a plebiscite discussion is all.

It doesn't mean he was for or against it. He voted against dragging this on until February to further discuss it some more and decide if a plebiscite is needed, which of course would drag it on even more.
Wrong, this was already covered in this thread, Woolley voted for the speed limit reduction: https://www.660citynews.com/2020/09/...-speed-limits/

So Woolley voted yes for the speed limit reduction, and no to letting the citizens potentially save council from themselves again. And given that he represents my ward, he can piss off.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #705
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is there really a decent sized portion of the populace that feels the need for lower residential speed limits? I haven't spoken to anyone that is for it. I'm sure there are some out there in certain areas with legitimate concerns but as a whole it's just not something that should have got this far in the first place as it's going to get shot down via plebiscite.
There are lots and lots of people who support lower residential speed limits, if you frame the argument in particular ways. The perception that it'll reduce collisions and injuries is strong, and that matters more than the reality of whether it'll work or not.

Lots of people support it on the basis that a collision at 30 km/h as compared to 50 km/h will not cause as many serious injuries to a pedestrian. There are lots of people who support "Vision Zero" and all that: the idea that we can and should try to eliminate all fatalities and serious injuries on our roads. (I support the general principle that we should make our roads safer, but I don't support blanket speed limit reductions to do so [because they won't].)

Lots of other people support it on the basis that it's safer for their kids; less chance of an unfortunate kid darting out, chasing after a ball or whatever, getting hit by a car because a car at 30 km/h can stop much more quickly than one at 50 km/h. (I think they should be better parents and teach their kids proper road safety rules.)

Lots of people have anecdotal experiences with "speeders" in their neighbourhood and they want the cops to put a stop to it.

In reality the number of collisions on residential roads is so small it's almost a statistical error. In reality most people don't speed on residential roads to begin with. But most people care less about reality than they do their perceptions.

To wit: I have been yelled at by an old coot for driving less than 40 km/h down my street. Her perception was that I was "speeding", but in reality I was going about 38 km/h. I asked her how fast she thought I was going, she said it didn't matter exactly: "too fast". I told her I was going about 38 km/h, she said I was lying: I was obviously going faster than that. I told her to go get a radar gun or **** off. People like that can't be reasoned with with pesky things like "facts" and "proof": they don't care. Perception > reality.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #706
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I told her to go get a radar gun or **** off. People like that can't be reasoned with with pesky things like "facts" and "proof": they don't care.
My hero
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #707
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had the same experience as timun. People are notoriously poor judges of speed and feel the need to impose their perception on others as reality. The fact is that our neighbourhood is as safe as it's ever been and the idea that we have a problem with speeding through it is insane.

Now, people rolling stop signs or flat out blowing them because they don't care to wait for you, I've seen so many near incidents that I called 311 and asked them to evaluate if there was an argument for moving the stop sign in more and drawing a stop line. The guy ended up calling me and said he saw plenty of near-misses just in the fifteen minutes he was watching and he'll be taking his findings back to the Roads dept.

But every time someone bitches about speed enough to get photo radar or a lidar trap in here, they go away pretty much empty handed because the problem only exists in everyone's heads.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #708
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
My hero
If you were there you probably would have been impressed with how level-headed my response was.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #709
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
There are lots and lots of people who support lower residential speed limits, if you frame the argument in particular ways. The perception that it'll reduce collisions and injuries is strong, and that matters more than the reality of whether it'll work or not.

Lots of people support it on the basis that a collision at 30 km/h as compared to 50 km/h will not cause as many serious injuries to a pedestrian. There are lots of people who support "Vision Zero" and all that: the idea that we can and should try to eliminate all fatalities and serious injuries on our roads. (I support the general principle that we should make our roads safer, but I don't support blanket speed limit reductions to do so [because they won't].)

Lots of other people support it on the basis that it's safer for their kids; less chance of an unfortunate kid darting out, chasing after a ball or whatever, getting hit by a car because a car at 30 km/h can stop much more quickly than one at 50 km/h. (I think they should be better parents and teach their kids proper road safety rules.)

Lots of people have anecdotal experiences with "speeders" in their neighbourhood and they want the cops to put a stop to it.

In reality the number of collisions on residential roads is so small it's almost a statistical error. In reality most people don't speed on residential roads to begin with. But most people care less about reality than they do their perceptions.

To wit: I have been yelled at by an old coot for driving less than 40 km/h down my street. Her perception was that I was "speeding", but in reality I was going about 38 km/h. I asked her how fast she thought I was going, she said it didn't matter exactly: "too fast". I told her I was going about 38 km/h, she said I was lying: I was obviously going faster than that. I told her to go get a radar gun or **** off. People like that can't be reasoned with with pesky things like "facts" and "proof": they don't care. Perception > reality.
I don't believe this to be the case as a major percentage of the population which is why this will get shot down by Calgarians.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:34 AM   #710
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Council voted down all the business cases for the 11 new communities (Sutherland was the only one to vote in favour of them, the turd), following admin’s advice this time.

So good news there at least.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #711
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Council voted down all the business cases for the 11 new communities (Sutherland was the only one to vote in favour of them, the turd), following admin’s advice this time.

Good. The previously approved communities is more than plenty enough to build with for the next while.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #712
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

Sutherland apparently screwed up using the new electronic voting system, so it was unanimous.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1324022987574530049
Old 11-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #713
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Farkas just pandering to his base?

I would like to think alternative methods to compliment and enhance current police work would be a good idea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1324161768051023873

Quote:
"Late Tuesday, at the city’s Combined Meeting of Council, councilors debated a plan that could see up to $20 million reallocated from the city budget, including the Calgary Police Service budget, for a Community Safety Investment Framework.

Those funds would be used to address gaps in a variety of “racial and culturally appropriate services.”

During his close on an attempted amendment to have the funds come from the city’s fiscal sustainability reserve, he cautioned the city about making front line cuts to the police.

“It’s not going to work. Clumsy and dangerous attempts to appease extremists will only serve to undermine safety and set us back,” Coun. Farkas said."
Quote:
“I take offence to those remarks. It’s a complete misrepresentation of what’s happening here,” said Coun. Jyoti Gondek.

“I will not sit here and listen to a colleague that sat on the (police) commission with me misrepresent what we are trying to do. No one is trying to appeal to extremist groups.”
Quote:
Coun. Farrell had requested Coun. Farkas to withdraw his comment during the meeting.

After refusing to withdraw his comments, as per Mayor Nenshi’s final request, Coun. Farkas had his microphone cut off.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #714
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Is anyone surprised? The Farkas brand - and by extension the loud angry right - gaslights this issue until the cows come home. Nevermind his whole "removed from the Board" spin doctoring (his term expired), but police funding to "appease extremists" is a shallow, empty non-justification for allocating funds to properly-trained services to perform the same tasks. It enables officer resources to focus on policing matters, and less on providing social support services.

Farkas is going to gaslight his way along most major issues he takes issue with on Council - not unlike what we will hear from third-party advertisers, PACs, and slate candidates over the next 12 months.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 09:23 AM   #715
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/EWoolleyWard8/st...70614450905088

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #716
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Awesome.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:51 AM   #717
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

"one of" was strategic as well lol
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #718
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it’s great our elected officials are hurling insults and dunking on each other on social media. No doubt it will improve the delivery of public services.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #719
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, it’s great our elected officials are hurling insults and dunking on each other on social media. No doubt it will improve the delivery of public services.
You know, you don't always have to be a buzzkill and take everything so seriously. It might be nice to enjoy the internet once in a while.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #720
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care about the Chu insult, but threatening those who donate to him? That's extremely concerning to hear coming from a councilor. So much so that I assumed it was a fake account.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat