Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #681
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I really hate how our city cuts the green cart at this time of year. Nov 1, it goes to every other week, of course no pickup for me this week. It doesn't help that 2 weeks ago they didn't get it, either, because there was snow in the alley(which is a pretty weak excuse considering it's winter). But anyway, about half the leaves in my yard don't fall until November. So the time of the year I need it most, I get collection on the 12th and 26th of November. All they have to do is extend it 2 more weeks.
Oh crap, I just filled my bin to the top with leaves instead of bagging them since Tuesday is always green bin day. Didn't even occur to me that the pickup was about to go biweekly. Not sure if I have room for the next week's worth of household green bin load.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 11:52 PM   #682
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farkas & Wenzel, not just pricks but the whole damn cactus.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #683
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Everyone should probably wake up to the fact guys like Farkas will bs their way to the mayor seat. There's too many people with no grasp how this stuff works and he will play on their preconceived notions about leftists taking over the city. We aren't immune to what's happening elsewhere.
If Farkas becomes mayor it's because the other candidates are terrible. What he's doing it pretty transparent but caters to the masses as I personally don't believe there's an appetite in this city to defund the police.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-03-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #684
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If Farcas becomes mayor it's because the other candidates are terrible. What he's doing it pretty transparent but caters to the masses as I personally don't believe there's an appetite in this city to defund the police.
I don't think the vast majority of people [anywhere] understand what 'defund the police' means. Unfortunately, 'Reallocate police funds to other front-line social service workers' doesn't chant as well or fit on a protest sign.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 AM   #685
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I don't think the vast majority of people [anywhere] understand what 'defund the police' means. Unfortunately, 'Reallocate police funds to other front-line social service workers' doesn't chant as well or fit on a protest sign.
I don't think there's a big appetite to reallocate any police funds regardless and like it or not what he's doing it catering to his voting base. It's no different than when the Liberals start up the CP fearmongering before an election. We all know what they are doing but it's still very effective.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #686
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It's still a reduction in police budget and, presumably, police presence in the community. Considering only 20 per cent of Black Americans want a reduced police presence in their communities, it's highly unlikely most Calgarians would be onboard.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #687
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The "Defund the Police" message is having a serious lack of context provided to the public. Most people just associate "cut police budgets because police bad", but the messaging is critical here. It's really a re-allocation of funds to police, health or community social services instead of dispatching or using police resources for cases that don't require their specific skillset.

I think this is right thing to do (especially with the rise in endemic drug use and mental health issues in urban areas), but this process needs to explainable, easy to understand, and transparent.

I think what's needed is a well-crafted pilot project of sorts to trial a new model of community service and policing, working together to address these issues. Then see where the strengths and weaknesses may lay.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #688
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Perhaps people should look at what is actually being discussed by Mark Neufeld, Nenshi, and others regarding what exactly they are thinking of doing.

The way they're currently talking about it, any reduction in police budget or police presence will likely be directly towards where CPS recognizes they are not the right responders. The issue is that they have become the defacto response for everything, when they simply don't need to be.

It's worth paying attention to the Calgary-specific conversations going on, not the blanket-generalized "defund the police" and applying that to Calgary without context.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #689
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Perhaps people should look at what is actually being discussed by Mark Neufeld, Nenshi, and others regarding what exactly they are thinking of doing.

The way they're currently talking about it, any reduction in police budget or police presence will likely be directly towards where CPS recognizes they are not the right responders. The issue is that they have become the defacto response for everything, when they simply don't need to be.

It's worth paying attention to the Calgary-specific conversations going on, not the blanket-generalized "defund the police" and applying that to Calgary without context.
Look at you so cute and doe-eyed, thinking the general populace will critically read and digest information.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 11-03-2020 at 10:02 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #690
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Council agreed to remove minimum parking requirements for non-residential use.

So, where permit parking is needed, residents should pay, and you need to have onsite parking for a secondary suite.

But developers can offload the cost and burden of parking space entirely to the general public? I’m not sure I understand.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #691
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Watching some of the twitter commentary from today's council meeting. Davison brings up that while he supports lower residential speed limits, there isn't unanimous support from his constituents. And this to me is where I see a disconnect with democratic institutions. An elected official to my way of thinking can't always make the popular decision. If we only wanted our governments to act in the selfish interests of the majority, why even bother? Some things are better for the collective health of society but inconvenience individuals a little bit. Many years ago a did a bit of groundwork on making a run for council, and my campaign slogan was basically going to be "I'll make unpopular decisions." Which is why I am not a politician.

I also have a long standing gear grinder that our council seems to get paralyzed by indecision when the calendar turns to less than a year from their re-election. I can envision many of these items being referred to committee so they can keep kicking the can down the road until after the election.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #692
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Council agreed to remove minimum parking requirements for non-residential use.

So, where permit parking is needed, residents should pay, and you need to have onsite parking for a secondary suite.

But developers can offload the cost and burden of parking space entirely to the general public? I’m not sure I understand.
EDIT: Looks like I was mistaken about the whole thing.

Thought we were talking about street parking permits that is being explored. Not parking spot minimums. Yeah, not sure I agree with the decision. Some of the bigger developments on 16th ave have had the concern expressed that parking will be an issue and the developers and the city have said "there is parking spot minimums so don't worry about it" but wonder if that will still be true now.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-03-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #693
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Watching some of the twitter commentary from today's council meeting. Davison brings up that while he supports lower residential speed limits, there isn't unanimous support from his constituents. And this to me is where I see a disconnect with democratic institutions. An elected official to my way of thinking can't always make the popular decision. If we only wanted our governments to act in the selfish interests of the majority, why even bother? Some things are better for the collective health of society but inconvenience individuals a little bit. Many years ago a did a bit of groundwork on making a run for council, and my campaign slogan was basically going to be "I'll make unpopular decisions." Which is why I am not a politician.

I also have a long standing gear grinder that our council seems to get paralyzed by indecision when the calendar turns to less than a year from their re-election. I can envision many of these items being referred to committee so they can keep kicking the can down the road until after the election.
Double edged sword.
You are elected by constituents to represent them, not rule over them. Acting on an “I know better” basis isn’t the role of a city councillor.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #694
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

They pussied out and are going towards a plebiscite. Do your jobs you were elected to do.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #695
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would they even waste time with a plebiscite? The plebes aren't going to vote for it.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #696
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Don't almost all plebiscites end in NO?

Useless exercise. The eight Councillors who voted yes to delaying this until February are wasting taxpayer money and time.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #697
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to see how your councillor voted:

VOTE to refer speed limit discussion to February and look at a plebiscite for neighbourhood speed limits CARRIED 8-6. #yyccc
Davison: Y
Demong: Y
Farkas: Y
Farrell: N
Gondek: N
Keating: N
Magliocca: Y
Sutherland: Y
Woolley: N
Carra: N
Chahal: Y
Chu: Y
Colley-Urquhart: Y
Nenshi: N
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #698
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post

Davison's ward is full of suburbs with long, dense collector roads (with driveways) leading to pockets with multi-million-dollar homes. Of course there are differing views.

It's still amazing to me how much of a #### show that whole thing became...a stunning example of the abilene paradox.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #699
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there really a decent sized portion of the populace that feels the need for lower residential speed limits? I haven't spoken to anyone that is for it. I'm sure there are some out there in certain areas with legitimate concerns but as a whole it's just not something that should have got this far in the first place as it's going to get shot down via plebiscite.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #700
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My councillor voted no. Woolley can get bent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
They pussied out and are going towards a plebiscite. Do your jobs you were elected to do.
Well, they weren't elected to go against the available data and put a useless and costly measure in place instead of using public funds to actually improve safety. Maybe the citizens can save city council from itself again (see the Olympic bid).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat