Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 PM   #501
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe their lives are awful, and they are trapped by the lifestyle. They push this over the top behaviour for a way out....Any psychiatrists in the house? I'm just grasping at straws for some kind of explanation to this disturbing madness.
I'd wonder if it's more like drug addiction. You keep looking for something, and need more and more and more to get that same feeling, or the feeling you originally had.

Sex would be more 'safe' than drugs or alcohol. Someone is addicted to drugs, they are a bad person, that can ruin their career. Someone is addicted to alcohol, they have a problem, they need to fix. They are addicted to sex, well, they are just a red-blooded man, go, man go...!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #502
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe their lives are awful, and they are trapped by the lifestyle. They push this over the top behaviour for a way out....Any psychiatrists in the house? I'm just grasping at straws for some kind of explanation to this disturbing madness.
I think it is just a byproduct of being in a position of power and getting conditioned to never being told no.

I would venture to guess that most of these guys didn't act this crazy forever. They probably started to act out more and more as they got famous.

Either consciously or subconsciously when their behaviour was accepted and they were adored by their colleagues, the media and the public they became conditioned to think their behaviour was acceptable. Every time they got away with something it only reinforced their crappy behaviour.

After years of being untouchable they got to the point where we are now. I doubt most of these guys have any inherent mental issues except being drunk with power and adulation.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #503
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Okay, I'll bite. First, Russian isn't a race.
You sound like a Trump apologist. "Mexicans aren't a race"
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #504
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Russians are terrible people.

Signed, someone who is 1/2 Ukrainian/Belarusian.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #505
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope you guys are paying attention to Matt Lauer. His issues confirm that it is inappropriate to give vibrators to coworkers at the office Christmas party.....facepalm
V
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #506
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'd wonder if it's more like drug addiction. You keep looking for something, and need more and more and more to get that same feeling, or the feeling you originally had.

Sex would be more 'safe' than drugs or alcohol. Someone is addicted to drugs, they are a bad person, that can ruin their career. Someone is addicted to alcohol, they have a problem, they need to fix. They are addicted to sex, well, they are just a red-blooded man, go, man go...!
Boy Scouts, College Football, the Church, Holleywood, Congress, youth sports. Any place where authority is given both power and implicit trust perpetrators will seek out. I don't think it is anything more than that. These people are rapists and abusers who found a niche that gave them access for people they would have power over.

Though I think there is a second group who for a lack of a better term grew up within the culture that treated people as disposable so when they finally reached that position of power treated people beneath them as disposable. Tying back to the Russian actresses if you had to sacrifice your dignity to get where you were why should anyone beneath you be different.

So it's a spectrum but i don't think this is addict behaviour. It's behaviour where they believe what they are doing is perfectly accepable. You just grab them by the #####.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #507
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just saw a news story regarding a radio host, being fired from his projects and his programs pulled. The only mention of behaviour was an accusation, with the rebuttal being he once inadvertently put his hand up a bare back.
This really kind of bothers me. This man is being lumped into a group of sexual predators and having his entire career dismissed because he put his hand on a back? I'll reserve total judgement, in case the unspecified allegation is far more serious than that (although I'd thought it would have been mentioned), but it sure seems like a case of absurdity.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #508
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it's just an issue of X percent of the population having sexual mental health issues. Normally those people would be arrested and put in jail for being peeping toms, flashers, etc...These people get powerful, so their behaviour is tolerated instead. It could also have something to do with the kind of risks required to become powerful in showbiz. Perhaps, by its nature, the industry will just always be filled with compulsive people. Either way, it's very weird and goes beyond regular power/harassment issues.
John Doyle at the Globe & Mail has a good take on this:

Quote:
Television fame often makes people delusional. It makes people who talk about themselves on the air feel terrifically important. Fame and recognition on the street adds to the hubris, to the delusion that the TV star is a really, really interesting person. Add in the entitlements that come with TV stardom – there's always a limo to take you to the studio and an assistant to get your coffee just the way you like it – and hauteur flourishes. Common sense fades away. Some people start believing their power as a focal point for a popular TV show makes them untouchable. Given the number of men revealed to have behaved inappropriately, it seems men are particularly susceptible.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ticle37125845/
Celebrity attracts narcissistic people. And narcissistic people, once they're accorded high status and have their every appetite indulged, can become pretty monstrous. Normal sexual acts and status become mundane. New horizons are sought.

Really, power corrupts. It's one of the most common themes in art.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-29-2017 at 10:00 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #509
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Just saw a news story regarding a radio host, being fired from his projects and his programs pulled. The only mention of behaviour was an accusation, with the rebuttal being he once inadvertently put his hand up a bare back.
This really kind of bothers me. This man is being lumped into a group of sexual predators and having his entire career dismissed because he put his hand on a back? I'll reserve total judgement, in case the unspecified allegation is far more serious than that (although I'd thought it would have been mentioned), but it sure seems like a case of absurdity.
Garrison Keillor.
I only caught a bit of that story but it did certainly seem quite...tame? when compared to the others.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #510
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Garrison Keillor.
I only caught a bit of that story but it did certainly seem quite...tame? when compared to the others.
The allegation has not been made public, the part about putting his hand up an open backed shirt is what he has admitted to doing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #511
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Russians are terrible people.

Signed, someone who is 1/2 Ukrainian/Belarusian.
So 1/4 Ukranian, 1/4 Belorussian, and 1/2 something else? Or 1/2 Ukrainian and 1/2 Belorussian? Your statement can be interpreted different ways.

Just trying to gauge if your racism is acceptable.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #512
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it would be an interesting social experiment to drop a normal person into this world and watch to see how long it takes before they start changing and taking advantage of what appears to be an underlying culture of "celebrityism"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
John Doyle at the Globe & Mail has a good take on this:

Celebrity attracts narcissistic people. And narcissistic people, once they're accorded high status and have their every appetite indulged, can become pretty monstrous. Normal sexual acts and status become mundane. New horizons are sought.

Really, power corrupts. It's one of the most common themes in art.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #513
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it would be an interesting social experiment to drop a normal person into this world and watch to see how long it takes before they start changing and taking advantage of what appears to be an underlying culture of "celebrityism"
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Yeah, I'd be an even bigger jerk then I am now in about 12 hours and I freely admit it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #514
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Matt Lauer's statement:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/30/read...legations.html

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling.

Conyers Hospitalized For Stress, As 5th Franken Accuser Comes Forward

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/56743...-comes-forward
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #515
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Russell Simmons steps down following sexual assault allegation.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ru...on-1202626935/

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #516
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm hearing many people in Hollywood and the media are quietly cleaning out their desks before their own allegations come to light.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #517
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The thing that is starting to bug me about this, seen in the recent Lauer and Simmons apologies, is the need to tie it back to themselves. Maybe it relates to the powerful narcissist thing we’ve been talking about, but my god, I’m sick of hearing about these people talk about whatever journey to being a better person they’re about to embark on. It’s so phoney and contrived.

The focus of any statement where you admit to wrong doing should be the apology, on top of that, maybe some recognition that you need to be better. But I don’t care if it’s now your “full time job” or that you are now going to focus on your not-for-profit and spend time “learning, healing, and listening.”

These people are awful, it’s so obviously fake and still just about them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #518
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
You ever read the biography of a pop star? Take an ambitious kid with a guitar, add a couple chart topping hits and a world tour, and you have an orgiastic sex-fiend doing rails off the tits of 17 year old groupies in the back of limos.

If this movement hits the music industry, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Grammy's will have to pretty much shut down because there won't be anyone left to perform at them.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-30-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #519
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
These people are awful, it’s so obviously fake and still just about them.
I assume those statements are written by their agents or PR people.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #520
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's public relations 101. Same playbook for decades; this is nothing new.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: