Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #10901
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Doughty is the best out of those guys, even though I think Andersson is the worst of our guys.
I think Doughty is overrated. I'd have put those guys at Hedman, Doughty, Letang, Ekholm.

However, I don't see Hanifin at quite getting to a Hedman ceiling, mainly because he's not quite the physical specimen that Hedman is.

I do think that Hanifin and Valimaki have the biggest toolboxes of the four kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #10902
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I hope so. Winnipeg and Edmonton are the last places Panarin will want to be. If he ends up with the Jets it would likely be a massively wasted acquisition.
Yup.
I know that the Jets need to start really pushing for the cup, but to give up significant assets for a player that they know they can't sign seems crazy.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #10903
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1098675005741772800/
Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #10904
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is the maximum % a team can retain of a traded player?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #10905
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmack View Post
what is the maximum % a team can retain of a traded player?
50%
Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #10906
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yup.
I know that the Jets need to start really pushing for the cup, but to give up significant assets for a player that they know they can't sign seems crazy.
Speaking of the Jets, what the hell has happened to Patrik Laine?! He hasn't scored a goal in 15 games; and has only 4 goals, 9 assists in the past 36 games after scoring 18 in 12 games in November. -18 on the season. No wonder the Jets are looking to add a forward.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #10907
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, and Pierre LeBrun talking a bit about the Flames and what they could do:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/how-inv...dition~1617809
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #10908
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Speaking of the Jets, what the hell has happened to Patrik Laine?! He hasn't scored a goal in 15 games; and has only 4 goals, 9 assists in the past 36 games after scoring 18 in 12 games in November. -18 on the season. No wonder the Jets are looking to add a forward.
Laine's scoring slump is the single biggest problem with the Jets right now. It must be a huge concern heading into the playoffs, but I have to think this is something he will work through at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #10909
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think Doughty is overrated. I'd have put those guys at Hedman, Doughty, Letang, Ekholm.

However, I don't see Hanifin at quite getting to a Hedman ceiling, mainly because he's not quite the physical specimen that Hedman is.

I do think that Hanifin and Valimaki have the biggest toolboxes of the four kids.
Hedman's a physical specimen but I also think he's overrated. Even when he was winning the Norris trophy he was getting pretty soft usage and a lot of his points were due to a stacked forward group.

Do I think he's great? Yes.
Do I think Doughty's still better? Yes.
Do I think Doughty can be overrated? Yes.

I would probably rank those four guys

Doughty
Hedman
Letang
Ekholm

However if you asked me to rank our guys in terms of who I think will be the best NHLers from age 25-32 (their "prime"), it would be Kylington, Valimaki, Hanifin, Andersson. Which is virtually a reverse order.

Overall, I would say that none of these guys, whether it's in the area of hockey sense or tools or even polish, are clearly above the others, not even Hanifin. Perceptions of them seem to vary for reasons that are presently out of their individual control (i.e. Kylington struggled defensively as a 17 year old therefore has limited defensive upside, Andersson has played the most top 4 of the rookies due to Hamonic's injuries therefore he's ready to play top pairing on a cup contender, Hanifin has 300 games of experience and is already playing top four therefore da da da, Valimaki made the team out of camp therefore da da da). Seems a lot of these arguments are based on how the team is utilizing them, which can be due to a myriad of biases and needs.

Now, that said:

Quote:
I agree that he has more to give. I just don't think it is quite as much as the other three. After tomorrow he will have already played 300 NHL games—he is likely closer to what he will be in the long term than any one of Andersson, Kylington or Valimaki. Having said that, I think it is unlikely that any of the three will pass him.
I disagree that Hanifin having the most NHL GP means he's closest to his ceiling. That's a baseless assumption. Was he even close to NHL-ready at 18? No. The Hurricanes were just a bad budget team that wanted their sexy draft pick to play in the NHL before he was ready. An argument could be made that Hanifin should have played in the AHL at ages 18 and 19 at the very least. Even 20 year old Hanifin, while he had a strong first half to his season, wasn't without serious issues that caused Canes fans to strongly question his IQ, progression, upside, and consistency.

I don't have a clue where Hanifin goes from here. I don't put a lot of stock into what he's done in his first 3 seasons because much of this was influenced by factors outside of his control - he wasn't a case of a Rasmus Dahlin or Aaron Ekblad who were way too good to not be in the NHL at age 18. He was just a guy who happened to be in the NHL at age 18. He still has a ton of developing left to go as do the other three guys. Has he probably been the best of the bunch this year? Maybe, I can't say because they're not all being evaluated on a level playing field.

And that's why I'm reticent to either trade a D - there are a LOT of question marks about each of them. The trio of Gio / Brodie / Hamonic have been a huge part of this team's success and I'd prefer the other four to just keep developing in limited roles for the next two years. Cup contenders can afford to lose a player to UFA without getting an asset back.

I also think that the team presently needs Andersson due to certain aspects of his skillset being at a premium after the Hamilton/Fox trade, yet simultaneously I think he's the guy we need to be looking to replace via this year's 1st rounder in the draft - try to find a really high ceiling RHD prospect because I don't fully believe Andersson is a lock to be a top four guy.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-21-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #10910
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:
Laine's scoring slump is the single biggest problem with the Jets right now. It must be a huge concern heading into the playoffs, but I have to think this is something he will work through at some point.
These two tweets from CapFriendly are pretty telling about Laine's slump and potential salary cap impacts for the Jets and the trade deadline:

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/stat...88048338083842

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/stat...88548114612226

Quote:
Food for thought:

(1/2) On Nov 29 #NHLJets Patrik Laine scored his 20th & 21st goal of the season, which had him in first place in the league for goals scored.

Since then Laine has scored 4 goals, and currently sits 34th in the league in goals scored.

Why is that important?

(2/2) Anything outside the top 10 means Laine misses out on a $1.8M 'B' bonus.

It also mean that the $1.8M the #NHLJets had earmarked as a possible bonus in Nov, can maybe be used at the trade deadline instead.

$1.8M at the deadline is equal to an $8.37M cap hit at full value.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snapshot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #10911
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird. I wouldn't say Doughty is overrated and yet I definitely rank Hedman above him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #10912
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that he has more to give. I just don't think it is quite as much as the other three. After tomorrow he will have already played 300 NHL games—he is likely closer to what he will be in the long term than any one of Andersson, Kylington or Valimaki. Having said that, I think it is unlikely that any of the three will pass him.
Perhaps games in the NHL has very little to do with close one is to achieving their ceiling.

Hanifin not very far off in age from Andersson and Kylington. None of them are close to their ceiling IMO.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #10913
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Perhaps games in the NHL has very little to do with close one is to achieving their ceiling...
Perhaps, but the game-number threshold does seem to be a measure that most frequently corresponds to future projections of a player. Of course, there are exceptions, but by and large most players show only incremental improvements after having spent several years playing in the NHL.

Who knows why that is the case? Does it have something to do with coaching? Is it because the NHL is not a development league, and thus a place where developmental milestones can be missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #10914
Knut

Exp:

Something happen !!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #10915
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone and Ottawa's 2nd to Calgary, Ottawa gets Calgary's 1st.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #10916
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's obviously not the norm but on the Flames alone, we have Mikael Backlund, Mark Giordano and Elias Lindholm who took big jumps after a bunch of NHL games
Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #10917
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Weird. I wouldn't say Doughty is overrated and yet I definitely rank Hedman above him.
I don't know. I've heard several NHL players talking about Doughty's natural talent to be a few levels above "normal good". I recall someone (don't remember who) saying how no amount of training can match the abilities he has naturally. How he comes from summer break and almost immediately is better then anyone else on ice. This is a very high praise from professionals.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #10918
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think he's a top guy, as in top 6 or 7. Just overrated among the elites IMO, since he was always discussed in top three lists. He never impresses me when I see him as much as some others, like Hedman. Maybe I'm just jaded from seeing Johnny and Tkachuk have their way with him.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #10919
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So Ottawa trades Stone in order to move up ~5 spots in the draft. Makes sense.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #10920
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Ottawa's 2nd might only be 3 or 4 spots down from Calgary's 1st. Getting Stone for dropping down 3 or 4 spots in the draft just seems like a greedy proposition.

That being said, Dorion is possibly dumb enough to do it.
Closed Thread