Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #81
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a dumb bet he's making.
He's trying to squeeze out an extra 50K instead of betting on himself. Each day he misses camp is an additional risk that someone takes his spot, or when he does arrive, he is behind everyone else.
Alternatively if he gets his arse to camp and has a good year - then he will set himself up for a really good NHL career and the pay that comes with it.

I view it as just terrible decision making.

Bet on yourself kid. If you think the Flames are under-valuing you - get out there and prove it to them.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #82
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is also a small bottom six player on a team looking to get bigger
Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #83
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dube will take his spot, and Phillips and Gawden are coming soon, he is going to look back at this as a huge mistake. I love you Mang but give your head a shake wow
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 AM   #84
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow, talk about chosing the wrong hill to take a stand on.

With GMBT all piss and vinegar (likely) from the Tkachuk negotations, I wouldn't be surprised to see him use Mangiapane to set an example.

Wrong move kid, wrong move.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:29 AM   #85
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I'm not saying the guys they brought in on PTOs are all-stars or anything, but they can fill a void in their own way if the Flames need them. It's not like there's no options and Eat Bread has the power. If he doesn't sign.......oh well. Life goes on.

Terrible time for him to try squeeze a few dollars out of the Flames. He has no negotiating power. He needs the Flames more than the Flames need him. Just sign the deal and get on with it.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #86
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest question, why all of a sudden all these negative comment about Mangiapane? Is it official that he for certain won't sign unless it is $850,000?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 AM   #87
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I don’t think it has to be negative. Just realistic

What are Mangiapane’s options? What should he do?

Mangiapane has zero rights

Any PTO in camp doesn’t have a contract and would likely consider league minimum. And they are skating for the coaches now

BT has a pretty big elephant in the room, who is chewing on his mouth guard, and projects to be lean on cap space.

The kid just realistically needs to pick his spots and bet on himself. Sooner than later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #88
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Honest question, why all of a sudden all these negative comment about Mangiapane? Is it official that he for certain won't sign unless it is $850,000?
Guy cranked it up in the second half of the season. Gained a lot of fans. Potential isn't leverage though. He's a finesse player (slightly built and perhaps not as prototypically tall) who may have to make the transition to middle-six, supportive role.

He's well-liked by teammates. Coaches like him. Not sensing any "Run Him Out of Town" sentiment. This is strictly business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 AM   #89
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Guy cranked it up in the second half of the season. Gained a lot of fans. Potential isn't leverage though. He's a finesse player (slightly built and perhaps not as prototypically tall) who may have to make the transition to middle-six, supportive role.

He's well-liked by teammates. Coaches like him. Not sensing any "Run Him Out of Town" sentiment. This is strictly business.

Thanks, but he didn't say he won't sign unless he's getting paid $850 000, right?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:11 AM   #90
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Thanks, but he didn't say he won't sign unless he's getting paid $850 000, right?
I thought I heard he came down by 200 K on his ask. 850 one way / a bit higher way or something like that?

Don’t recall if it was a reliable source

https://twitter.com/user/status/1172578968823709696

Seems like a matter of principle on Tre’s side too.

If this is the case, maybe Mangiapane’s agent is looking for an itty bitty win of any sort
Old 09-15-2019, 04:36 AM   #91
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I thought I heard he came down by 200 K on his ask. 850 one way / a bit higher way or something like that?

Don’t recall if it was a reliable source

https://twitter.com/user/status/1172578968823709696

Seems like a matter of principle on Tre’s side too.

If this is the case, maybe Mangiapane’s agent is looking for an itty bitty win of any sort
Of course Mangiapanes agent is looking for a win of any sorts. He's very likely fired I'd he doesn't get anything from this fiasco.

I doubt there's anything to be had though. Mangiapanes side needed to give in way sooner for the Flames side to be nice to them in return.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #92
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point of his career, I'd tell him what I tell my 6 year old son; you get what you get and you don't get upset. It's not like they're offering him minimum wage, take what they offer and make them offer more next time by proving your worth.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:49 AM   #93
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Based on what exactly? 13 points?

If he is better than league min he has to actually prove it on the ice
Sorry what I meant is if you give Mangiapane 850k, he will outplay that contract, not that he had earned more than 850k with his body of work.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #94
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Of course Mangiapanes agent is looking for a win of any sorts. He's very likely fired I'd he doesn't get anything from this fiasco.

I doubt there's anything to be had though. Mangiapanes side needed to give in way sooner for the Flames side to be nice to them in return.
At this point, firing the agent may be the only way out. Unless Ritch Winter is prepared to fold, and that would be a risk to future deals he has to broker.
This is a bluff which has been called. He didn't have a strong hand to play and time only weakens it more.
They should have gone for a cheap one way deal from the start, and made one way vs two way the hill they die on. Not trying to squeeze money from a team with cap issues, when the market in general is capping out.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #95
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rich Winter is based in Edmonton, so that is probably the start of this no goodness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #96
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
At this point, firing the agent may be the only way out. Unless Ritch Winter is prepared to fold, and that would be a risk to future deals he has to broker.
This is a bluff which has been called. He didn't have a strong hand to play and time only weakens it more.
They should have gone for a cheap one way deal from the start, and made one way vs two way the hill they die on. Not trying to squeeze money from a team with cap issues, when the market in general is capping out.
I've never really considered, until reading this, the possible effects on contract negotiations that an agent might have. Like, at what point is the agent no longer really advocating for their client's best interest, but instead trying to guard their reputation or save face? Would the client ever really know? I've definitely heard players mention that they don't really get too involved in the negotiations, and just leave it to the agent.
I have to assume that if an agent was doing this kind of thing regularly, they wouldn't be an agent for long, but I could see it happening in a case like this, for example.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #97
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So has it been reported the difference is $50K on a one way deal?

Not that it changes much for Mangiapane as he has no leverage but I guess before we bury the guy it would be good to know both sides.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #98
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mangiapane has no leverage... he needs to get his butt into camp, earn a role, and light it up so that when he does have some leverage, can get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #99
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So has it been reported the difference is $50K on a one way deal?

Not that it changes much for Mangiapane as he has no leverage but I guess before we bury the guy it would be good to know both sides.
Not as far as I can see. I was just scanning the other thread, and this seems to be the sum total of information we have about the negotiation:

• Treliving said he was surprised that Mangiapane had not yet signed. He said they made what they believe to be a fair offer, but that Mangiapane and his agent are passionate about their asking point.
• Eric Francis reported that Mangiapane came down off their original ask by $200,000 to $850,000 on a one-way deal, but slightly more on a two-way deal. He mentioned that Mangiapane’s QO was $715,000.

I am not sure where the $800,000 figure came from on the Flames’s side, but I suspect it emerged from the arguments surrounding Flash Walken’s self-congratulatory guesses about what was happening a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #100
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Mangiapane's point of view he is a lot better player than Czarnik was coming out of Boston.

The Flames gave Czarnik 1.25M x 2 a full million dollars more than it appears the Flames are offering him.

Bad contracts are bad for the whole team.

Czarnik would likely clear waivers. Someone would likely pick up Magniapane.

Magniapane does not want to be a Flame . He is a small skilled player that was NHL ready... so what do the Flames do... they go out and get 2 more small skilled players, Ryan and Czarnik.
Closed Thread