Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #1821
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Three secure jobs.

Resistance fighter, battling against the machines. Probably a job until death.
Sign me up, John.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #1822
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You will probably see concerns come back down to earth in the next few years when people see how little impact that tech has had in increasing aggregate productivity, and overall economic value.
There are a lot of office jobs that follow an algorithm. As soon as the algorithm gets coded, that job is gone. In order words, we don't need to invent the technology, we just need to implement it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #1823
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
If there is anything that society has taught us, it's that 99% of people do the minimum amount of work to survive comfortably. The amount of work will decrease and decrease until there is nothing that we need to do in order to survive comfortably.

And it's going to happen way faster than you think.
I don't agree with that. Longer life expectancy has created a situation whereby many people in retirement find themselves in a position with no work to challenge them, for a fairly lengthy period of time.

Many find this intolerable and re-seek employment.

People need to be challenged and kept busy.

There was lots of talk decades ago about the pace that the number of hours in a work week was declining. Everyone figured that eventually we will only work like 10 hours a week or whatever. However, it turned out that the work week really hasn't declined at all over the last few decades - probably for the same reason.

What I see changing isn't that people will stop working to the point of their own demise, what I see is that the type of labour will continue to evolve into more refined, intellectual, safe, and/or enjoyable type positions (a trend that has already been in place for a century at least). As people become more well off (i.e. take care of basic needs), they don't seek less work, they seek more rewarding work.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #1824
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if your job involves copying and pasting, you are done in 5 years.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #1825
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, involves or consists entirely of? I do use copy and paste from time to time
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #1826
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
feeling a little down about your job today?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #1827
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, no like data entry stuff.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #1828
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the relentlessly improving quality of videogames and drugs - and the likelihood of a synergistic link between the two - I wager most people 40 years from now will be content enough lying stupefied with delight in their homes for days and weeks on end, emerging occasionally for sexual assignations arranged with strangers via bio-mapping algorithms. The only issue will be getting food to them. Drones delivering protein packs maybe?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #1829
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You basically described The Matrix, but added in sex.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #1830
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
With the relentlessly improving quality of videogames and drugs - and the likelihood of a synergistic link between the two - I wager most people 40 years from now will be content enough lying stupefied with delight in their homes for days and weeks on end, emerging occasionally for sexual assignations arranged with strangers via bio-mapping algorithms. The only issue will be getting food to them. Drones delivering protein packs maybe?
Maybe for some people. I still really enjoy hanging out with my friends and I doubt that's really going to change for me.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #1831
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

While I agree that jobs will be further automated in the future, I highly doubt we'll see a bunch of people out of work because "the machines took their jobs". Our technological landscape changes so rapidly, with hundreds of thousands (if not more) of people now employed in industries that didn't exist 10 year years. I don't see why this cannot continue in perpetuity.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #1832
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
If there is anything that society has taught us, it's that 99% of people do the minimum amount of work to survive comfortably. The amount of work will decrease and decrease until there is nothing that we need to do in order to survive comfortably.

And it's going to happen way faster than you think.
This is what implementing robotic labour is about. Forcing people to become more valuable than their autonomous counter part (through using their brain) or be forced out of the economic picture.

As a result the "lazy" will have a tougher time surviving. It is not a humanitarian goal in the immediate sense however the long term implications to human evolution and development would be beneficial. By forcing our population to constantly progress or be left out we will overall increase our ability for our species to survive the long term.

I only propose this idea because we fight public discourse that based on uneducated idea because our system as it is facilitates it. Forget climate change, the earth will be statistically guaranteed a extinction level event over time. The only true sustainable solution to this is to spread our species across many planets. This is not a new concept but it is over the heads of the majority of the population. This is why space development is not moving as fast as it could be. This is just one example of stupidity holding back the whole human population and we'd be best if we could change our civilization that dosent pander to the stupid.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #1833
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Isn't this basically the plot of Wall-E?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #1834
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
While I agree that jobs will be further automated in the future, I highly doubt we'll see a bunch of people out of work because "the machines took their jobs". Our technological landscape changes so rapidly, with hundreds of thousands (if not more) of people now employed in industries that didn't exist 10 year years. I don't see why this cannot continue in perpetuity.
I think this is a micro vs macro thing. In aggregate technology advances create more new and better jobs than they replace. Because we can get the same productivity with less inputs, freeing those people to do something else.

But the distribution of the productivity gains isn't equal. If you've done the same thing for 30 years and become obsolete, going back to school to learn how to code python may not be a realistic choice. While society as a whole certainly benefits, individuals whose skills become obsolete don't.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #1835
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I agree it's impossible to predict what the jobs of the future will entail long term, however, one problem we're going to face is how fast we can replace jobs.

For example we're staring in the face of a revolution in the transportation sector, almost a million Canadians are employed in the sector or over 5% of the total work force, within the decade most of those people could be replaced by automated systems. It's going to be hard to find new jobs for all those people and even then even harder to train them for those jobs.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #1836
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Autonomous cars and trucks are still at least a decade or two away from replacing drivers completely. Google's Lexus hit a bus this week because it made a poor decision. There is no way they will completely remove the operator from vehicles until well after the systems are tried and proven. Any change will be gradual and other industries will absorb the people.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #1837
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Autonomous cars and trucks are still at least a decade or two away from replacing drivers completely. Google's Lexus hit a bus this week because it made a poor decision. There is no way they will completely remove the operator from vehicles until well after the systems are tried and proven. Any change will be gradual and other industries will absorb the people.
When the full change over occurs is hard to say, I think it will be sooner then you obviously, but it is a inevitability. When it does happen it'll be the professional drivers who go first with the personal vehicles being the lingering ones on the road.

Say you're a cab company or a long haul trucking company, one of your biggest expenses(salary), your biggest risk(accidents/maintenance) and biggest limitation(shift lengths) can all be eliminated by removing the driver, you're going to be one of the first people to get in line.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #1838
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There will be two secure types of jobs in the future: those who harness the power of genius machines, and those who manage and market the work of the prior group.

That said, this is all extremely hypothetical. Machine intelligence is so far from happening at this point, and all this tech stuff is probably benefiting from a massive investment bubble. You will probably see concerns come back down to earth in the next few years when people see how little impact that tech has had in increasing aggregate productivity, and overall economic value.

No one, and I mean no one, should be making these predictions.
Says the guy that stated 'we've accomplished pretty much everything when it comes to science.' This is hilarious!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #1839
Nobama
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://youtu.be/UokScbPxz-0
Nobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #1840
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll put this here
and this

Feel free to comment on the LNG plans.

Last edited by Tiger; 03-04-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post: