Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 01:39 PM   #14781
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I got temp banned from the subreddit r/legaladvicecanada because people are dumb and trolls abound.

Someone was in a car accident in Calgary and the driver who hit them was from BC so they were wondering if they should go through ICBC for injuries.

The top response was someone saying it doesnt matter because Alberta is No-Fault as well - decidedly not true.

I responded saying no, Alberta is not no-fault, talk to a PI lawyer in Calgary. To which i was downvoted and then a guy from Moncton New Brunswick who posts in video game threads wanted to bet that i didnt know what "no fault" meant.

I told him he can call my office directly and go over the terms of the bet before i tell him.

They banned me because i was soliciting and offering my services (which i wasnt).

#### that subreddit. It's full of bad advice and dumb people.

/ventover.
Reddit is 98% idiots or future idiots.

A minor tie in, there's a guy who's lived around the corner from me for the past two years with BC plates. Obviously he's maintaining a BC address for his registration while living in Calgary well beyond the three month window before needing to register here. I'd bet his insurance doesn't know of his current residence either.

If they were in an accident here and were found out to be living here would their BC insurance be invalid?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:39 PM   #14782
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is the thing that I try and remind people of.

WFH is a much more complex issue than some people seem to think it is.

Your points are accurate, there is a lot that can be done with WFH eliminating the need for a commute, there is a lot of 'in office work' that can be attributed to 'The Old Guard' but there is still so much more.

I said it a long time ago, but its going to take a long, long time to iron out the kinks in WFH to make it realistic long-term for some organizations.

But also...

There absolutely were a lot of people who thought WFH meant 'Day Off' and probably just as many who really weren't suited to it insofar as they couldn't stop and just kept working and as such the work/home line got blurred.

The stories I could tell you of people who abused the hell out of WFH would probably shock some and not even remotely surprise others.

People abused the hell out of CERB and a lot of them similarly abused the hell out of WFH.

Which in turn tends to convince the 'Old White Guys' that they were right all along and galvanizes their resolve against it.

Its gonna take a long time.
We were home for months and had a group chat with a bunch of us at our company.

Dudes would golf three days a week. Shopping, go on vacation, work from Cabo.

The best was when this guy texts the group "well guys, today is the first day I've masturbated at work".
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:46 PM   #14783
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I curse the companies that are eliminating the working from home during my commute. No reason 75% of these people need to come into the office every day, but I attribute to 3 things:

- Old school (white) guys who bristle at the thought of not being in attendance in person at 7 am. And yes, the new school guys trained by the old school ones just parrot the same attitude.
- All you dogfataers ruined it for the rest of people
- If I have to suffer with a commute, then damn well you need to suffer as well.
It’s funny you regard that as a white guy thing. I was just reading about TSMC’s struggles to open a microchip plant in Arizona. The biggest issue is the cultural difference, with the TSMC’s Taiwanese executives running the place like North American corporations operated 30 years ago. If you’re not sitting at your desk 10-12 hours a day you’re considered a slacker.

https://restofworld.org/2024/tsmc-arizona-expansion/
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:51 PM   #14784
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why I find it weird when discussing US vs Canadian productivity. No one ever mentions the discrepancy between hours worked. We may be less productive, but we get more time off in general, and I'm happy with that trade off. Lets not try to win this one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:28 PM   #14785
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s not really how productivity is measured ….
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:59 PM   #14786
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
That’s not really how productivity is measured ….
Ah, I see it is already factored in...

Quote:
Quarterly labour productivity series, measured as real gross domestic product (GDP) per hour worked,
https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2S...rvey&SDDS=5042

OK then, work harder, slackers!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:18 PM   #14787
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The best was when this guy texts the group "well guys, today is the first day I've masturbated at work".
It was you, wasn’t it?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #14788
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Aren’t you self employed?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:56 PM   #14789
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
This is weird. Why would you ever get yourself to a point where you are asking people to call you regarding establishing the rules of a bet about an online argument.
I wasnt actually going to give him my number (even my law firms number). I was calling out the troll for what he was.

But yes, my temper got the best of me a bit lol
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:58 PM   #14790
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Reddit is 98% idiots or future idiots.

A minor tie in, there's a guy who's lived around the corner from me for the past two years with BC plates. Obviously he's maintaining a BC address for his registration while living in Calgary well beyond the three month window before needing to register here. I'd bet his insurance doesn't know of his current residence either.

If they were in an accident here and were found out to be living here would their BC insurance be invalid?
Maybe? I don't do insurance work. But i know enough to know what no fault is!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:32 PM   #14791
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I wasnt actually going to give him my number (even my law firms number). I was calling out the troll for what he was.

But yes, my temper got the best of me a bit lol
That's super frustrating. I feel you.

So many reddit mods are so ban happy and they're totally unwilling to look at an entire body of contributive posting.

I'm banned from r/Cybertruck for being negative about the Cybertruck AND from r/cyberstuck for being a Tesla simp. How can I be both?

It's so annoying when you can't even have a conversation without upsetting some neckbeard with too much power and no accountability.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 07:29 PM   #14792
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Tupperware and the Tupperware drawer/shelf.

#### that place completely
On a similar note, we've got a pretty good mud room set up with tons of hooks and lockers, and yet it still ends up like a teenager's bedroom. Though tbf it's mostly my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

So many reddit mods are so ban happy and they're totally unwilling to look at an entire body of contributive posting.

I'm banned from r/Cybertruck for being negative about the Cybertruck AND from r/cyberstuck for being a Tesla simp. How can I be both?

It's so annoying when you can't even have a conversation without upsetting some neckbeard with too much power and no accountability.
There may be no more feckless losers in all of the internet than the mods on r/calgary.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:46 PM   #14793
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Who was the Tesla zealot here? He was insanely protective of all things Tesla and couldn’t deal with any criticism against them and would rage quit every so often. I wonder if that’s your Tesla / Cybetruck mod.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:48 PM   #14794
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
On a similar note, we've got a pretty good mud room set up with tons of hooks and lockers, and yet it still ends up like a teenager's bedroom. Though tbf it's mostly my fault

There may be no more feckless losers in all of the internet than the mods on r/calgary.

Are those the Crackmacs? If so, kind of ironic since their FB pages are the worst moderated hive of racism and bigotry out there.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:15 PM   #14795
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Okay but I work in the real world
You can make this change.

When you get a meeting request reply back asking for the agenda.
When the meeting starts ask what the goals are.

Then make notes and send a summary at the end.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 08:56 PM   #14796
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

r/Alberta would like a word. It’s a very left leaning sub which is fine and all (and I do support lots of stuff they post) but like most subs it’s an echo chamber. Reddit has become a search engine for like minded groups (some of which are almost militant), not a place for open discussion.

I’ve limited the subreddits I follow to the less partisan ones and others that pertain to my interests with no strong biases.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:21 PM   #14797
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

It’s easier to just complain, do nothing about it, and dismiss constructive alternatives with sarcasm.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 09:30 PM   #14798
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This comes with some career risk. Maybe you get viewed as a self-starter, but it's also possible useless-meeting-loving middle-manager types view you as a usurping threat to their power and make life difficult.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:33 PM   #14799
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
This comes with some career risk. Maybe you get viewed as a self-starter, but it's also possible useless-meeting-loving middle-manager types view you as a usurping threat to their power and make life difficult.
Yeah I suppose I have gotten to my curmudgeon phase of my career where I’m not trying to advance anymore. More junior people might be seen as threats.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:18 AM   #14800
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is pretty naive. My immediate manager recently asked our team to start attending the weekly standup of a larger team we’re linked with. She wants us to speak up about our recent accomplishments and explain how we’re representing the values of the company.

No doubt most people in those standups feel they’re a waste of time. But I’m not going to be the one to put myself in the crosshairs by effectively calling out my manager and her boss. This is a company where the CEO quizzes random employees at town halls to test if they were paying attention to the data presented in powerpoint presentations.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote