Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #1961
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/firs...-tax-1.4564121

A leading voice on First Nations finances wants the federal government to surrender taxation powers over cannabis to band councils, arguing Indigenous peoples should get a cut of the billions of dollars in revenue expected from legalization.

Manny Jules, chief commissioner of the First Nations Tax Commission, is urging senators to amend Bill C-45, the government's pot bill, to hand taxing authority to First Nations governments so they can impose their own levy on cannabis manufactured and sold on reserves.
Score another one for Terry!
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #1962
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I find the headline misleading. They want to tax stuff grown on THEIR land. Call it a tax or a royalty, I don't see the problem here, unless I'm missing something.
yeah. that's why I wanted to make sure in the part I quoted, it did mention that fact.
One negative would be that this could cause further delay in legalization, I'm guessing.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #1963
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I would hazard a guess that CPS are more than likely aware of it already, and aren't particularly motivated to commit resources to closing such businesses.
I wouldn't be too sure. Edmonton police just charged five people with trafficking for running illegal dispensaries up north last week. CPS might just be waiting to hit up a couple stores all at once after they get the paperwork finished.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #1964
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find it weird that people are willing to risk selling stuff before its legal. Example yesterday someone I know purchased a CBD Vape pen from a Calgary gas station, yes its only CBD but not only is it still illegal.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #1965
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can buy CBD oil in a gas station now? Was the clerk's name Terry?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #1966
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I find it weird that people are willing to risk selling stuff before its legal. Example yesterday someone I know purchased a CBD Vape pen from a Calgary gas station, yes its only CBD but not only is it still illegal.
Which gas station?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #1967
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
CBD is totally legal, you can get it from hemp too not just cannabis.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #1968
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
You sir are correct, and this one is clearly labeled hemp, thanks for clearing that up I had no idea. Even being legal I'm sure everyone will be shocked when I say I got it in Forest Lawn at the Husky.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #1969
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I’m not 100% certain but I think cbd from hemp is legal and cbd extracted from cannabis is illegal. You still need a prescription to possess a THC free CBD strain of cannabis so I’m not sure why the oil would be legal.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #1970
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't say Cannabidiol is 'totally' legal. It's still listed as a Schedule II controlled substance in Canada, and we still require a prescription to legally acquire it. I can't even find anything that says "CBD is legal so long as it is extracted from hemp". If someone has a verifiable source that says so, I would be interested to see it.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...annabis#sched2

Exemption for hospitals: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...hospitals.html
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #1971
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say Cannabidiol is 'totally' legal. It's still listed as a Schedule II controlled substance in Canada, and we still require a prescription to legally acquire it. I can't even find anything that says "CBD is legal so long as it is extracted from hemp". If someone has a verifiable source that says so, I would be interested to see it.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...annabis#sched2

Exemption for hospitals: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...hospitals.html
Sorry if I wasn’t clear that I meant it is legal with a prescription. As for the bolded portion, hemp is legal so anything extracted from it would also be legal.

This article isn’t exactly what you’re looking for but it might be a helpful read.
http://naturalhealthservices.ca/cbd-...ference-a-lot/
Old 03-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #1972
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Address is 3916 64th AVE SE.
I drove by there a couple hours ago.

There was nothing that resembled anything like a storefront.

Only business sign up was for a t-shirt customizer.

There was another door that had no business signage but had a piece of foolscap with "no production or money on premises" written with felt pen on it, taped to a door.

There was some activity around the side at the bay doors, but i wasn't interested enough to ask anyone about it.

Is that address incorrect or did they do a midnight move already?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #1973
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

There was another door that had no business signage but had a piece of foolscap with "no production or money on premises" written with felt pen on it, taped to a door.

There was some activity around the side at the bay doors, but i wasn't interested enough to ask anyone about it.

I think you’re on the right track, just take notes of the steps outlined in this video and next time you’re out there I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

NSFW!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #1974
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Sorry if I wasn’t clear that I meant it is legal with a prescription. As for the bolded portion, hemp is legal so anything extracted from it would also be legal.
Well, legal with a prescription goes without saying in this case as a bunch of us on here have cannabis prescriptions that permit THC/CBD possession and consumption. THC is also legal in that context.

As for hemp being legal therefore anything extracted from it is legal, this conclusion doesn't logically follow given other examples in the justice system:
- The U.S. allows people to grow poppies as well, but if you turn them into opium (or even grow the poppies with intent), then it's illegal.
- Magic mushrooms in Canada: psilocybin is illegal from cultivation to possession and sale, but you can buy the grow kits and spores 100% legally. As soon as you move to produce a controlled substance with them, you're breaking the law.
- Ephedrine is legal in oral pill form at a maximum of 8mg/dose. However, using the ephedrine to synthesize methamphetamine would absolutely be illegal.

Not that I think CBD or THC or anything like that should be illegal -- I would rather see us decriminalize drugs instead of continuing to fight an unwinnable war on them -- but due to the above examples, I'm not convinced that CBD is legal just because it was extracted from legal hemp without an actual reference to the law.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #1975
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to keep in mind that just because a substance is legal, that doesn't mean anyone can go around selling it commercially. Alcohol is legal, but I can't just set up a storefront and sell distilled spirits out of it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #1976
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I find the headline misleading. They want to tax stuff grown on THEIR land. Call it a tax or a royalty, I don't see the problem here, unless I'm missing something.
yeah, it's click bait, gets the masses all riled up.

In actuality, it's a reasonable rationale. I did business with Mr Jules a number of years ago and he's a sharp guy. I have a ton of respect for him.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #1977
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, legal with a prescription goes without saying in this case as a bunch of us on here have cannabis prescriptions that permit THC/CBD possession and consumption. THC is also legal in that context.

As for hemp being legal therefore anything extracted from it is legal, this conclusion doesn't logically follow given other examples in the justice system:
- The U.S. allows people to grow poppies as well, but if you turn them into opium (or even grow the poppies with intent), then it's illegal.
- Magic mushrooms in Canada: psilocybin is illegal from cultivation to possession and sale, but you can buy the grow kits and spores 100% legally. As soon as you move to produce a controlled substance with them, you're breaking the law.
- Ephedrine is legal in oral pill form at a maximum of 8mg/dose. However, using the ephedrine to synthesize methamphetamine would absolutely be illegal.

Not that I think CBD or THC or anything like that should be illegal -- I would rather see us decriminalize drugs instead of continuing to fight an unwinnable war on them -- but due to the above examples, I'm not convinced that CBD is legal just because it was extracted from legal hemp without an actual reference to the law.
I did a little research(you’re right it’s actually surprisingly difficult to find a straight answer on this online) and my interview of what I’ve is that CBD oil from hemp is illegal if it is over a certain concentration and that the hemp cbd products you find being sold right now in stores are generally so low in concentration that they’re essentially snake oil. I’m glad I have a prescription so I don’t have to worry about any of these laws
Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #1978
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Still no answer to this?

Im just curious...well the better half is moreso than I...she has a card and is in need of it for pain relief. Ive been using Terry and will continue to do so well past the legalization if need be as it will be cheaper, but she wants to sample different things without spending a bunch.

Anyone have any insight, as the OP seems to be MIA for the time being.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #1979
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still no answer to this?

Im just curious...well the better half is moreso than I...she has a card and is in need of it for pain relief. Ive been using Terry and will continue to do so well past the legalization if need be as it will be cheaper, but she wants to sample different things without spending a bunch.

Anyone have any insight, as the OP seems to be MIA for the time being.
If your other half uses Tilray or Cantrust, let me know. I can probably give you some recommendations on items my wife uses.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #1980
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First hurdle for C-45 today as the senate votes at Noon mountain today. Some conservative will stall this I'm sure.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
better than crack , bureaucracy , duuuuuude , funions , gateway , high drivers