Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #1781
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Doubt it. Its still a private lease that you don't have to sign.
I guess I should clarify that I feel that's a moral/ethical need rather then a legal one. I don't think it's right to kick granny out of her housing because of her glaucoma medication.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:50 PM   #1782
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The solution to the odour of both is vaping. But the moral crusaders want to pretend it's just as bad as smoking, so it's not treated any differently.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #1783
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I guess I should clarify that I feel that's a moral/ethical need rather then a legal one. I don't think it's right to kick granny out of her housing because of her glaucoma medication.
granny can use edibles, oils or vape. your hypothetical poor old granny doesn't need to smoke the stuff.

keep no smoking as no smoking, no matter what it is and what it's for.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #1784
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

If granny doesn't rip the ice bong, her glaucoma levels shoot right through the roof. Edibles and vapes don't do the trick, though that doesn't seem to stop her from trying.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #1785
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
granny can use edibles, oils or vape. your hypothetical poor old granny doesn't need to smoke the stuff.

keep no smoking as no smoking, no matter what it is and what it's for.
I don't know a single person who ever used MJ in multiple delivery forms that said the delivery method had no impact on the effect... if Granny get's the most relief from her symptoms from smoking it she should be able to smoke it without fear of being forced to move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 07:36 PM   #1786
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know a single person who ever used MJ in multiple delivery forms that said the delivery method had no impact on the effect... if Granny get's the most relief from her symptoms from smoking it she should be able to smoke it without fear of being forced to move.
Well Granny won't live somewhere that has it in the lease.

If I had a rental and the lease said "No smoking in the unit" that would certainly cover the smoking of anything.

I don't foresee this being an issue worth worrying about though.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #1787
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Doubt it. Its still a private lease that you don't have to sign.
Actually upon further review I don't think you can legally do that, from the Alberta Human Rights Act...

Quote:
Discrimination re tenancy
5 No person shall
(a) deny to any person or class of persons the right to occupy as
a tenant any commercial unit or self-contained dwelling unit
that is advertised or otherwise in any way represented as
being available for occupancy by a tenant, or
(b) discriminate against any person or class of persons with
respect to any term or condition of the tenancy of any
commercial unit or self-contained dwelling unit,
because of the race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability,
ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family
status or sexual orientation of that person or class of persons or of
any other person or class of persons.
... I think anyone denied tenancy on account of medical treatment would probably have a pretty strong case that they're being discriminated on account of disability.

Regardless. If you signed a lease that prohibits you from recreational smoking of MJ in the unit then don't do it. If you didn't... enjoy. Landlords shouldn't be allowed to retroactively change leases... for anything.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #1788
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
Not sure if Alberta landlords will face the same problems but in Ontario they are unable to add in the 'no smoking pot' term to the lease until the current lease is finished. Seems to me common sense should prevail here, if there was a 'no smoking' part of your lease it should just translate to no smoking of anything, legal or not.

NEWS STORY
If a lease has a no smoking policy then it sounds like from that article it would apply to smoking. It's only if you don't have a no smoking policy that you can't automatically add a no pot policy. That seems pretty reasonable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #1789
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually upon further review I don't think you can legally do that, from the Alberta Human Rights Act...

... I think anyone denied tenancy on account of medical treatment would probably have a pretty strong case that they're being discriminated on account of disability.

Regardless. If you signed a lease that prohibits you from recreational smoking of MJ in the unit then don't do it. If you didn't... enjoy. Landlords shouldn't be allowed to retroactively change leases... for anything.
Only if you could show that smoking was the only viable way to take your medication otherwise the landlord would be making a reasonable accommodation by letting you vape instead
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #1790
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so her neighbor has to move instead because they're stuck living somewhere where it reeks of pot constantly?
the smell of pot actually makes me sick. I shouldn't have to move because granny insists on smoking and you say it's her human right to choose the delivery system.
you can't kick granny out as you say from the rights act, because of her disability, but that doesn't say she gets to smoke her medication. show me where it say it's a human right to smoke pot.

why are you so insistent on people being able to smoke their pot in a non smoking apartment?
there are many ways to take her medicine. if she insists on smoking, maybe she should be the one to move to a smoking building. it's that simple.
if granny wants to smoke it should be on her to find a place that allows smoking.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 01-24-2018 at 07:31 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #1791
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Lets be honest, whether you hate or love the smell of weed, it's magnitudes better than the smell of cigarettes.
That's insane. Cigarettes are gross, but the smell of weed is just disgusting. Nasty.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #1792
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
why are you so insistent on people being able to smoke their pot in a non smoking apartment?
I'm not. I'm insistent that landlords not be allowed to unilaterally change the terms of their leases and and I'm insistent that people with real medical needs not be discriminated against (and yes... that means that Granny's medical needs trump you finding the smell icky).

Last edited by Parallex; 01-24-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #1793
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not. I'm insistent that landlords not be allowed to unilaterally change the terms of their leases and and I'm insistent that people with real medical needs not be discriminated against (and yes... that means that Granny's medical needs trump you finding the smell icky).
Medical users can already grow/use without landlords consent or knowledge, but recreational, they could just say no smoking period
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #1794
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
That's insane. Cigarettes are gross, but the smell of weed is just disgusting. Nasty.
Cigarette smoke smells worse, yuck
Old 01-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #1795
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so her neighbor has to move instead because they're stuck living somewhere where it reeks of pot constantly?
the smell of pot actually makes me sick. I shouldn't have to move because granny insists on smoking and you say it's her human right to choose the delivery system.
you can't kick granny out as you say from the rights act, because of her disability, but that doesn't say she gets to smoke her medication. show me where it say it's a human right to smoke pot.

there are many ways to take her medicine. if she insists on smoking, maybe she should be the one to move to a smoking building. it's that simple.
if granny wants to smoke it should be on her to find a place that allows smoking.
Access to medication trumps your opinion of a smell.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #1796
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Medical users can already grow/use without landlords consent or knowledge, but recreational, they could just say no smoking period
Not if it’s against the lease/don’t want to stay there (if the landlord doesn’t want it and they catch you).

But that falls under being a good human being. If the landlord doesn’t want you smoking weed in their place then one should respect that. If you don’t you are a bad person. Obviously this is easy to know because “no smoking” would be in the lease already.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #1797
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not if it’s against the lease/don’t want to stay there (if the landlord doesn’t want it and they catch you).

But that falls under being a good human being. If the landlord doesn’t want you smoking weed in their place then one should respect that. If you don’t you are a bad person. Obviously this is easy to know because “no smoking” would be in the lease already.
If you have the ACMPR the landlord doesn't even have the right to know.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #1798
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t even know in what world granny would choose smoking over every other delivery method.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #1799
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This hilarious. Do people really believe there are random drug dealers just hanging around and offering free samples of drugs to strangers?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #1800
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
If you have the ACMPR the landlord doesn't even have the right to know.
And When the landlord finds out (they will if they aren’t a slum lord) and boot you out/raise rent till you can’t afford/get a family member to move in for a month so your gone, what do you do the ?

It all comes down to being a nice human being and talking to your landlord.

Tags
better than crack , bureaucracy , duuuuuude , funions , gateway , high drivers