Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #7781
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
I wasn't meaning to be critical of your post in any way, just pointing out that there would have to be a lot of moving parts involved in Pietrangelo going to LV.
There would for any team. Only 17 teams have more than 9m in cap space currently, of those 17 teams, the fewest contracts any need to sign is 4 (to reach 23)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #7782
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's true, but I don't recall any notion that Stastny was eager to stay. Winnipeg is on a lot of NTC lists, and I imagine he's not an exception. Also, the Knights are much more of a contender next year and they still need centres - they don't have a decent replacement at the moment. I bet they hang on to him for now.
All true, but Stastny actually had a full NTC the last time he was traded and waived to go to Winnipeg.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #7783
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm gonna take a stab at a Coyotes trade proposal, then UFA signings. I'm bored at work, go easy on me lol

To Coyotes: 2021 1st Round Pick, 2021 3rd Round Pick, Noah Hanifin, David Rittich, Milan Lucic
To Flames: Darcy Kuemper, Phil Kessel (10% retained), Kyle Capobianco, Taylor Hall rights

I know it appears to add to the Coyotes cap short term but it rids them of the Kessel contract and saves some cap there. Hanifin gives them the means to trade OEL at the draft for picks + prospects and shave that entire salary. Rittich is $2 million cheaper then Kuemper and can play tandem with Raanta. Getting rid of OEL as stated plus the above trade saves the Coyotes $10.87 million in salary cap and gets them a 1st and 3rd round pick in 2021, plus whatever the OEL return is.

Flames give up next years 1st but hopefully that is a late 20's pick anyway. Going for it. 3rd rounder will likely be replaced by Oilers 3rd as I can't see Oil giving up the pick this year so we'll have two 3rd's next year. Flames get their starter for 2 years at least, Hall's rights to sign an 8 year deal, and a good D prospect. Kessel may be able to provide more offense than Lucic playing against other teams 4th lines.

Trade Derek Ryan for a 4th to whomever.

Sign Pietrangelo to 7 x 8.25
Sign Hall to 8 x 7.0
Re-sign Reider at 1 x 0.7 (same as last contract)
Re-sign Mangiapane at 2 x 1.75
Keep 1.0 million to sign 3rd pairing/7th defenseman or promote prospect
Keep 2.0 million to sign backup goalie, should be more then enough given the number of goalies available and the flat cap.

We would need to promote two forward prospects or sign a league min vet. I also have Valimaki on 2nd pairing and players like Makar, Fox and Hughes have proven that young D at that level can step into important roles and hold their own easily. Trust the youth.

Leaves you with....

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Tkachuk (7.0)
Hall (7.0) - Backlund (5.35) - Lindholm (4.85)
Mangiapane (1.75) - Bennett (3.125) - Dube (0.778)
Kessel (6.12) - Prospect? (0.894) - Reider (0.700)
Prospect/Vet? (0.800)

Giordano (6.75) - Andersson (4.55)
Valimaki (0.894) - Pietrangelo (8.25)
TBD (1.0) - Kylington (0.894)
Mackey (0.925)

Kuemper (4.55)
TBD Backup (2.0)

Total Cap Used - 81.255
Cap Space Remaining - 0.245

Last edited by Groot; 09-24-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #7784
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless something specific happened, I would think that any player would happily go from a team that no longer wants him, back to a team that loved him and where he had a great year.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #7785
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Maybe, but the Golden Knights would still only have $9.5M to sign a forward, a backup goalie and Pietrangelo. I still don't think that's enough without more moves.
One of the Pacific insiders on the radio mentioned that the LV may move Schmidt if the right player is out there. He is almost a 6M cap hit so if Pietrangelo is available, that may be where some of the cap space comes from.

The thinking is Thedore makes it possible to make that move.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #7786
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
All true, but Stastny actually had a full NTC the last time he was traded and waived to go to Winnipeg.
True but that was the year St.L missed the POs though and Winnipeg had a really good team (second only to Nashville in the west). So it wasn't really much of a sacrifice for Stastny to go to a cup contender for a quarter of a year, knowing he'd be a UFA anyway.

This time, it's his own team that's the contender and Winnipeg just got bounced pretty easily by a mediocre Calgary team.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #7787
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True but that was the year St.L missed the POs though and Winnipeg had a really good team (second only to Nashville in the west). So it wasn't really much of a sacrifice for Stastny to go to a cup contender for a quarter of a year, knowing he'd be a UFA anyway.

This time, it's his own team that's the contender and Winnipeg just got bounced pretty easily by a mediocre Calgary team.

To be fair missing Schiefele, Laine and Appleton made a mediocre Jets team road kill. Stastny leaving Winnipeg after left a hole for the 2nd line that is still there. I think hes a skilled player but I think he is making too much for the flat cap era.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #7788
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Unless something specific happened, I would think that any player would happily go from a team that no longer wants him, back to a team that loved him and where he had a great year.
It's Winnipeg. No one wants to go there.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #7789
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I'm gonna take a stab at a Coyotes trade proposal, then UFA signings. I'm bored at work, go easy on me lol

To Coyotes: 2021 1st Round Pick, 2021 3rd Round Pick, Noah Hanifin, David Rittich, Milan Lucic
To Flames: Darcy Kuemper, Phil Kessel (10% retained), Kyle Capobianco, Taylor Hall rights

Flames give up next years 1st but hopefully that is a late 20's pick anyway. Going for it. 3rd rounder will likely be replaced by Oilers 3rd as I can't see Oil giving up the pick this year so we'll have two 3rd's next year. Flames get their starter for 2 years at least, Hall's rights to sign an 8 year deal, and a good D prospect. Kessel may be able to provide more offense than Lucic playing against other teams 4th lines.

Trade Derek Ryan for a 4th to whomever.

Sign Pietrangelo to 7 x 8.25
Sign Hall to 8 x 7.0
Re-sign Reider at 1 x 0.7 (same as last contract)
Re-sign Mangiapane at 2 x 1.75
Keep 1.0 million to sign 3rd pairing/7th defenseman or promote prospect
Keep 2.0 million to sign backup goalie, should be more then enough given the number of goalies available and the flat cap.

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Tkachuk (7.0)
Hall (7.0) - Backlund (5.35) - Lindholm (4.85)
Mangiapane (1.75) - Bennett (3.125) - Dube (0.778)
Kessel (6.12) - Prospect? (0.894) - Reider (0.700)
Prospect/Vet? (0.800)

Giordano (6.75) - Andersson (4.55)
Valimaki (0.894) - Pietrangelo (8.25)
TBD (1.0) - Kylington (0.894)
Mackey (0.925)

Kuemper (4.55)
TBD Backup (2.0)

Total Cap Used - 81.255
Cap Space Remaining - 0.245
I'm not sure you can sign Mangiapane for that little.
If you sign Kessel, he's playing RW on higher line. I don't think you need to have him in the deal anyway.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #7790
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think we see any big/complicated deals involving players with NMC (unless they have demanded a trade). Too much work to fall apart on the decision of a player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #7791
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I don’t think we see any big/complicated deals involving players with NMC (unless they have demanded a trade). Too much work to fall apart on the decision of a player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They might say no, so don't even bother trying!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:11 PM   #7792
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like all these big names are gonna sign elsewhere and we're gonna be left with some underwhelming signing like Palmieri
Old 09-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #7793
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I feel like all these big names are gonna sign elsewhere and we're gonna be left with some underwhelming signing like Palmieri
We would need to trade for Palmieri, and adding another 30G RHS RW would hardly be underwhelming. Dont really want to shell out assets for him though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #7794
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
1) Palmieri would be a great cost effective signing.
2) He's not even a free agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #7795
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane has arb rights. He's getting AT LEAST $2.25m, if not more.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #7796
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames missed out on Hall and Pietrangelo, I would hope they just re-sign Brodie and Talbot. Just to keep things going for a year without wasting cap and assets.

Maybe get good deals on Haula or someone like that.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 09-24-2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #7797
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Mangiapane has arb rights. He's getting AT LEAST $2.25m, if not more.
I don’t think a 2 year comes in below $2.5M.

It looks like he has three more RFA years to burn - so a 2 year deal gives us control at the end of it.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #7798
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This isn't a trade rumor, but thought I would share as well. During the discovery of my buddies source while explaining my bump in with the Stars Owner at the Sutton Place, his connection to Treliving gave him an interesting story.

This fellow got off the phone with Tre and the NHL had them put up in the Sutton Place while in the bubble. When they wound up against the Stars, Tre (Maybe the Flames org) lost thier ####. They didn't want to take the risk of being tampered with (I assume the players sleeping, hot water..etc I don't know what else) but thats a fair request not to be put up in the hotel that the opposition owns lol. I didn't hear if they eventually got located to another hotel or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fischy13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #7799
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought they got transferred to the other hotel after the play--in?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #7800
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dreger on TSN says Guerin is softening on his ask for Dumba because it doesn't appear to be reality to land a top 6 center for Dumba at this time. Dreger says offer needs to be a higher 1st and good young roster player
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread