Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2017, 06:28 AM   #1261
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 Wonders is a drafting and set collection game. It's also a bit of an economic game, as you need resources to do stuff. You need to first build an economy with resource cards, and then figure out how you're going to score big. Are you going to build wonders? Go for the cultural win by focusing on blue cards? Go for science? You can't do everything.

If you want to play it as a multiplayer solo, then yeah, you won't understand why other players win or lose. To be competitive, you need to be able to understand what strategy other players are going for, and then deny them the key cards they need to achieve it. Most people probably don't do this, but then boardgames in general seem to be aiming at the low-interaction crowd in recent years.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #1262
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got to play Twilight Imperium 4th edition a couple weeks ago, and the consensus at the table is it's an improvement on TI3. It streamlines without reducing the strategy, and in general tweaks and polishes a bunch of rough edges to make for a more engaging and accessible game. Not that an 8 hour, 6-player game is going to hit the table a lot in any case. Don't expect it to be something you pull out at Christmas to play with Uncle Keith and your cousins.

However, something you might want to play over Christmas with more casual gamers, especially if your holiday spirits run to beer and whiskey, is Sons of Anarchy. Like the TV show, it's about biker gangs fighting turf battles over the 'contraband' trade. It's also an absolute blast, rife with intimidation, threats, and treachery. Highly recommended.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #1263
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Got to play Twilight Imperium 4th edition a couple weeks ago, and the consensus at the table is it's an improvement on TI3. It streamlines without reducing the strategy, and in general tweaks and polishes a bunch of rough edges to make for a more engaging and accessible game. Not that an 8 hour, 6-player game is going to hit the table a lot in any case. Don't expect it to be something you pull out at Christmas to play with Uncle Keith and your cousins.

However, something you might want to play over Christmas with more casual gamers, especially if your holiday spirits run to beer and whiskey, is Sons of Anarchy. Like the TV show, it's about biker gangs fighting turf battles over the 'contraband' trade. It's also an absolute blast, rife with intimidation, threats, and treachery. Highly recommended.
Never played Twilight Imperium but my cousin raves about it. But we have gone over to play Game of Thrones a couple times which is similar and just an awesome game, so much fun. But yeah these games take a long time to play, which is too bad because they’re great games but you can really play only one round in an evening or day. And that game is going to take you to like 2am, which sucks when you have little kids to take care of the next morning.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #1264
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Paste, The 10 Best Board Games of 2017

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...s-of-2017.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #1265
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Most people probably don't do this, but then boardgames in general seem to be aiming at the low-interaction crowd in recent years.
7 Wonders is a high-information game, as in there's a lot to keep track of, particularly with larger player counts. Combining high information with high interaction requires a pretty hardcore audience. With 7 Wonders, many people simply ignore large parts of the information or interactivity to get around that - and in a group of such people you generally have to do the same such as to not have them all want to kill you.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #1266
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone played Sidereal Confluence?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #1267
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Twilight Imperium 4 on Saturday and it was excellent! Picking a few things up over the holidays - Charterstone, the Scythe Wind Gambit expansion, and Russian Railroads!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #1268
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Scythe? Is it an easy game to get into?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #1269
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
How is Scythe? Is it an easy game to get into?
We find Scythe to be very enjoyable. It seemed daunting once it was all laid out (covered the table), but became pretty straightforward to play once we got into it a bit. After playing it once, everyone had the fundamentals and wanted to play again to try new ideas / strategies. Product quality is fantastic!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1270
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked this up at Wal-Mart this past summer to play with my kids while we were camping. It's a fun game to play with the kids!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...raft-card-game

They love Minecraft, they love playing games, it's simple to learn, and quick to play.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #1271
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I checked in about this game once before but I'm curious if anyone has it.

It's #2 on BGG - Gloomhaven.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #1272
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
We find Scythe to be very enjoyable. It seemed daunting once it was all laid out (covered the table), but became pretty straightforward to play once we got into it a bit. After playing it once, everyone had the fundamentals and wanted to play again to try new ideas / strategies. Product quality is fantastic!
It does look daunting for components and such. Had a bad experience with the Game of Thrones game in terms of components and novel for instructions. That experience makes me hesitate with Scythe. From everything I have heard it may be worth just jumping in.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #1273
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I think I checked in about this game once before but I'm curious if anyone has it.

It's #2 on BGG - Gloomhaven.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174430/gloomhaven
I've played the first few in the campaign (I don't own it), and it's okay but it's definitely a 'more is more' style of game design that I can't say I like. I feel like having a dedicated table for it is a must... set up and tear down and keeping everything well organized is pretty onerous. The guy I know got separate component storage (home depot type storage trays) just to make it manageable. Gameplay actually moves pretty quickly beyond setup. Learning the rules first time is long, and even though you get it by the second play-through, there are a lot of little exception moments that have you reaching back to the rulebook again.

That said, it's produced some cool game moments, and the general way that the playing/healing/resting system works is good for creating tension.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #1274
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Scythe is excellent. The rules are simple & straight-forward, once you understand movement and the fact that resources stay on the map, you're good to go. I got the collector's edition so the upgraded tokens just add such an amazing feel to the game.

Gloomhaven is excellent and probably my favourite game lately. They've done such a nice job making everything unique and building the story. I love the card mechanic. We've played through 6 or 7 scenarios so far and I am loving it.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #1275
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Over the last few months I have gotten Archipelago to the table about 10 times.

Its not a newbie game or anything but if you like the theme the game is great. Long learning curve, not easy or quick to teach but I still love it.

Just picked up some Timeline(s) and I enjoy the game. Ive used it in a party (multiple couples) setting and has worked very well.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #1276
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #1277
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Over the last few months I have gotten Archipelago to the table about 10 times.

Its not a newbie game or anything but if you like the theme the game is great. Long learning curve, not easy or quick to teach but I still love it.
I've wanted to try Archipelago for a few years now. I'd heard it's hard to get to the table, though, so I haven't pulled the trigger and bought a copy. Now I think it's out of print. Good to know it has replay value, though. I'll pick up a copy if come across one.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #1278
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clank! The deck building game is fantastic.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #1279
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So Amazon has a bunch of games on sale. I bought Santorini, Twilight Struggle, Okitama and San Juan. All two player games which would work well in our household.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #1280
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried Santorini for kids?