Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #821
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say that Hudler is the second line player on the first line. Some might even say Monahan belongs on the second line or that Johnny is this teams only real first line player right now. I like Gaudreau and Monahan together but I think they need a better winger. They've tried Ferland there but he isn't talented enough and Hudler has been good enough at all this year. One of, if not the biggest hole on this team is on the first line RW IMO.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #822
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Treliving hopefully gets to maximize Russell's value.
Let's hope Russell gets healthy, or his theoretical trade value might not matter.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #823
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Score running with:

Gilbert off the market. Yandle off the market. Polak already moved.

Treliving hopefully gets to maximize Russell's value.
At this point even Wideman at 50% could get a decent return. Every scout and GM in the league know what Wideman is about and know they could get 30-50 points next season. He's a veteran playing with the lowest shooting percentage in his career, and he's a righty.

I don't think GMs care about the linesman incident. Wideman has gone hundreds of games without a suspension and the games off are just like an injury, except Wideman is still practicing and working out.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #824
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Size is the another contributing factor when dealing with Backlund. Calgary has stated that they want to get bigger/more physically imposing. Backlund is not a physical player. He may occasionally finish a check, but he isn't scary and he isn't big.

Also, there is a glut of UFA 3rd line centers if none of the potential replacements fit in the short term. Frans Nielsen, Shawn Matthias, Darren Helm, Trevor Lewis, Riley Nash, and Mike Santorelli could all be viable short term replacements as well.

You have to give to get and if it turns out Backlund is one of the pieces that needs to go to make a deal work to improve the team long term, then that's how it shakes out. Nobody, myself included, wants to see him gone. Only if it makes sense would you entertain it.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #825
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Let's hope Russell gets healthy, or his theoretical trade value might not matter.
I think they are deliberately holding him out at the moment. I'm sure he is nursing an injury, but if we were in the thick of a play off run, I reckon he'd have played by now. I think they are ensuring he is fully healed and doesn't re-injure himself, so as not to jeopardize trade talks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJ1532 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #826
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, at this point it could be a hang nail keeping Russell out.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #827
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
I think they are deliberately holding him out at the moment. I'm sure he is nursing an injury, but if we were in the thick of a play off run, I reckon he'd have played by now. I think they are ensuring he is fully healed and doesn't re-injure himself, so as not to jeopardize trade talks.
With his propensity to block shots, holding him out for a while might not be the worst idea. All it takes is one mistake and the asset you would have acquired is gone.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 02-23-2016, 09:40 AM   #828
Browndog71
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe Flames are potentially looking at Galchenyuk, as I believe they did have him high (#1) in his draft year, although with the old guard here.

Maybe looking at Backlund plus second (one they can possibly get for Hudler or Russell) as a starting point.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #829
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Boomer was basically saying this this morning on his show. This level of precaution with Russell is likely a good sign that Treliving already has a deal in the works.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #830
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog71 View Post
Maybe Flames are potentially looking at Galchenyuk, as I believe they did have him high (#1) in his draft year, although with the old guard here.

Maybe looking at Backlund plus second (one they can possibly get for Hudler or Russell) as a starting point.
Offering Backlund and a second would make Bergevin do an exagerrated and comically deep belly laugh at you. Then he'd ask that you call him back on a landline just so he could properly slam the phone down to hang up on you.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #831
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Offering Backlund and a second would make Bergevin do an exagerrated and comically deep belly laugh at you. Then he'd ask that you call him back on a landline just so he could properly slam the phone down to hang up on you.

Dougie Hamilton for 3 draft picks (none of them first round) says hello.

We have no idea the situation behind closed doors of other GMs.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #832
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Dougie Hamilton for 3 draft picks (none of them first round) says hello.

We have no idea the situation behind closed doors of other GMs.
Flames traded their first round pick in the Hamilton trade
Old 02-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #833
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly, maybe the habs see backlund as part of the answer on that team and they're not really to keen on Galchenyuk moving forward. That's the kind of deal I"d get behind, it would have to be Backlund + for a top 6 player.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #834
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames traded their first round pick in the Hamilton trade

Oh ya. Thx, I am dumb!
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #835
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Exactly, maybe the habs see backlund as part of the answer on that team and they're not really to keen on Galchenyuk moving forward. That's the kind of deal I"d get behind, it would have to be Backlund + for a top 6 player.
Backlund+Porier+pick for Galchenyuk would be ideal. Habs get a centre and a French Canadian prospect they were apparently very high on at the draft. Flames get a top 6 player that is in the same age range as Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett. Also Galchenyuk has size that the team needs. Perhaps his all night party/domestic dispute put him out of favor with Management?
Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #836
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman's 30 thoughts Flames stuff:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...-deadline-day/

Quote:
Calgary GM Brad Treliving wasn’t offering any clarity, but several rumblings indicate the Flames asked about Matt Murray during talks with Pittsburgh.

The 21-year-old was the AHL’s Top Goaltender and Rookie of the Year last season. I don’t think Calgary’s the only team that’s tried to pry him from the Penguins, either. So far, everyone’s been rebuffed, meaning they either aren’t trading him, or it’s in stealth mode. (Probably the former.)

I haven’t seen much of him, but didn’t come across anyone who didn’t like him. There are different opinions about how ready he is for the NHL, but he’s got a lot of fans.
Quote:
Calgary’s got some obvious ones, and it sounds like there’s a lot of interest in Kris Russell if he isn’t signed (including Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Los Angeles, as he’s got some connections to the Sutters). The Flames have been shadowing Montreal for awhile now, with Mikael Backlund’s name popping up Monday night — although that was disputed in the aftermath.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #837
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure would like to see something get done with the Rangers regarding Kreider or Hayes.

Kreider, Hayes and Miller are all RFA's and will be each looking at significant bumps in pay and that's a team that doesn't have a ton of wiggle room cap wise next season.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #838
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
It's believed Arizona has backed off a previously tabled offer to extend Boedker, which further supports the likelihood he will be traded.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #839
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sure would like to see something get done with the Rangers regarding Kreider or Hayes.

Kreider, Hayes and Miller are all RFA's and will be each looking at significant bumps in pay and that's a team that doesn't have a ton of wiggle room cap wise next season.
Kreider is exactly the sort of player I'd want on the other side of Johnny for the next seven years.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #840
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog71 View Post

Why is Montreal interested in trading a younger, better centre?? I get that the Flames would love him but what motivation does Montreal have?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread