Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #101
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's managers and HR. At some point it switched that some places only hired people with degrees. So more people had to go get them. Then there are too many of them so there needs to be a new bar. Again, my example in Accounting. B.Comm to get entry level, CPA to go higher. I can tell you, it doesn't take 6-7 years of education of a CPA to review financial statements.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:38 PM   #102
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
Grades used to as a barrier to keep people out of university, and thereore out of jobs, is a huge concern. My dad is one of the smartest people I know and he went to university with a high school average in the 60% range. He's a high school teacher now and, by all accounts, an excellent one. It's worrying that people are being kept out of good jobs simply by not having high enough grades in high school. I know parent's who require their kids after school tutors to have a master's degree for god sake.

This whole phenomenon is called credentialism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creden...onal_inflation
Welcome to the real world.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #103
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
Grades used to as a barrier to keep people out of university, and thereore out of jobs, is a huge concern. My dad is one of the smartest people I know and he went to university with a high school average in the 60% range. He's a high school teacher now and, by all accounts, an excellent one. It's worrying that people are being kept out of good jobs simply by not having high enough grades in high school. I know parent's who require their kids after school tutors to have a master's degree for god sake.

This whole phenomenon is called credentialism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creden...onal_inflation
So how should we determine who can enrol in university? Money? A lottery? Or just expand capacity even more and let everyone who applies in?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #104
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So how should we determine who can enrol in university? Money? A lottery? Or just expand capacity even more and let everyone who applies in?
They should revamp the high school system back to the way it was so that kids aren't getting 97%+ entrance averages.

Under the current system it does become about money. Not for everyone, as some students will be genuinely talented/hard working. But for most, it becomes about what tutors your parents can afford. How can they build your resume by getting you involved in expensive extra curricular activities. Do they have connections to build your resume or maybe even on the admissions boards? Do you have to take time away from school to earn money and work? Etc...
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #105
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How can they build your resume by getting you involved in expensive extra curricular activities. Do they have connections to build your resume or maybe even on the admissions boards? Do you have to take time away from school to earn money and work? Etc...
Tutors are absolutely a factor - the amount of money some parents have spent getting kids through high school courses with good grades is significant.

But I think almost all Canadian undergrad admissions are basically just marks based. So resume padding and connections don't really matter for that.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 PM   #106
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And that's another thing that's gone extinct, the posting of first class honors.
Presumably over concern that it hurt the esteem of kids who didn’t make the list. Don’t kids already know who their high-achieving classmates are? And now more and more boards in Canada are doing away with streaming and honours programs altogether.

The knots educators tie themselves into to pretend there isn’t a competitive element to education is embarrassing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #107
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Tutors are absolutely a factor - the amount of money some parents have spent getting kids through high school courses with good grades is significant.

But I think almost all Canadian undergrad admissions are basically just marks based. So resume padding and connections don't really matter for that.
They do matter for admission to grad/professional schools. The schools are very interested in whether or not you had some kind of extracurriculars, both in high school and during university. It's a bit of a joke, because even at the university level, in Canada, athletics don't really require all that much talent. Participation in many, even NCAA sports, is largely a function of how many resources your parents put into them.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #108
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A lottery for anyone over x grades would be a pretty reasonable solution. Lots of mericratic and democratic systems should be replaced with lotteries.

Unless someone believes there are real performance differences between an 85 high school average and a 95 high school average.

Last edited by GGG; 10-15-2021 at 05:07 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #109
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
A lottery for anyone over x grades would be a pretty reasonable solution. Lots of mericratic and democratic systems should be replaced with lotteries.

Unless someone believes there are real performance differences between an 85 high school average and a 95 high school average.
It would make more sense to have a sink or swim system in the first 2 years of university. A lot of programs already use this method. Let in all the decent high school students. Then just make the first 1-2 years of university really challenging and cut the ones that don't hack it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #110
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I, too, remember the execrable first couple years of my engineering degree...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #111
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would make more sense to have a sink or swim system in the first 2 years of university. A lot of programs already use this method. Let in all the decent high school students. Then just make the first 1-2 years of university really challenging and cut the ones that don't hack it.
Yeah, I like that concept, Enginering used to fail 1/3rd of its first years fairly consistently. one low cost year with large class sizes and hard curves and limited spots in the 2nd year program.

I wonder though if you would just move the bottleneck with an approach like that. Would you get people trying multiple times to make the cut and the same 97% grade inflation problem existing? At least they would be competing in the same classes for spots as opposed to the high school system.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #112
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not focus on class rank vs. absolute grades when it comes to admittance.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #113
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A major issue would be that there is a pretty large variance in ability between schools as well. Also, in a system where all the good students get 90%+, is there really difference between the student with a 94% and a 92%, despite the fact they may rank substantially differently.

Another issue is with the subjectivity in the system. Certain teachers are going to favor some students.

Generally, subjectivity in admissions is also a horrible idea. It leads to abuse by parents who build their children's resumes. The people making the decisions aren't in any position to actually judge an applicant's "character" or "well-roundedness".
Old 10-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #114
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How you compare a rural high school to a private school?
Old 10-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #115
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A major issue would be that there is a pretty large variance in ability between schools as well. Also, in a system where all the good students get 90%+, is there really difference between the student with a 94% and a 92%, despite the fact they may rank substantially differently.

Another issue is with the subjectivity in the system. Certain teachers are going to favor some students.

Generally, subjectivity in admissions is also a horrible idea. It leads to abuse by parents who build their children's resumes. The people making the decisions aren't in any position to actually judge an applicant's "character" or "well-roundedness".
Wasn’t there a few years ago they found some of the private schools in Calgary had far greater variance between the grade assigned by the school and the grade achieved by the student on provincial exams essentially showing that these schools were grading much easier than public schools?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.macl...igh-marks/amp/

I’m not sure what came of it. But even supposedly objective marks are subjective when individual schools still account for 50% of the total.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #116
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’m not sure what came of it. But even supposedly objective marks are subjective when individual schools still account for 50% of the total.
Diploma exam marks are down to 30% of the final grade now, to reduce test anxiety.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #117
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I actually do think there’s a marked difference between kids who average 95% and others who average 85%. In my experience anyway.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:04 PM   #118
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I actually do think there’s a marked difference between kids who average 95% and others who average 85%. In my experience anyway.
Would you say the former is, what, 10% better?
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #119
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How about an entrance exam? The notion that students should be shielded from the stresses of tests is just postponing an important life-lesson.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #120
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
How about an entrance exam? The notion that students should be shielded from the stresses of tests is just postponing an important life-lesson.
Standardized testing like SATs is still a test of parental means to some degree.