Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default So there is ONE core guy traded this summer...who do you choose?

Seems like there is support to deal every player on the roster more or less, and opinions are all over the place.

Just to dumb it down a bit (maybe a poll is a good idea?) which one would you choose? Never mind return at this point, which one single CORE player needs to be elsewhere before next season?

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund

Giordano
Andersson
Hanifin
Tanev(?)

Markstrom
Old 05-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Monahan. If the Flames are going to make this a re-tool instead of a re-build, I think they need to, somehow, upgrade from Monahan. I have zero idea how they can possible do that, but that's what I think needs to happen.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Your captain is the heartbeat of your team, and the one you are supposed to look to for leadership and who to emulate.

You want to change the culture of the room, this is where you put the shovel to start.

Add in his age, the likelihood of his moving down the lineup and the cap you recover by moving him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's probably Monahan.

If Johnny has any intention of testing the market and not working on an extension or if Tkachuk has soured on the team you look at moving them too.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade any of them besides Markstrom.

Seriously, I don't care who at this point. They're all relatively good players in isolation, but the combination of them on the roster is just not working. To me this is a good team that has serious issues with chemistry. Monahan and Gaudreau had it, but lost it. Nobody else really meshes that well.

Get good value in any trade and shake up the construction of the lineup. Whoever gives you that highest value in a trade, do it. I'm not married to any of the skaters at this point.

You keep Markstrom because honestly, we have nobody else to play goal. If you trade Markstrom you may as well trade the rest of them because you'd be going for a full tank at that point.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny. Still has value hopefully that can be maximized before his NTC kicks in
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau is the only one who makes sense to me.

- Nets a solid return (2 high end pieces, or 3-4 solid pieces)
- Easier to replace LW in house than C
- Can't really move Tanev or Markstrom - what message does that send to other potential free agents?
- Gio, Monahan, Hanifin and Backlund won't net a team changing return (I don't think addition by subtraction is an option anymore)
- Lindholm is too valuable to the team to move.

- I think you have to take the risk with Tkachuk and hope he moves forward next year. Trading Tkuchuk really is the "start from scratch - 5-8 year rebuild" signal

(Beyond trading someone, I think they should really look into hiring a skating coach. Wasn't hiring a speed skater all the rage back in the '90's? Maybe that could help.)
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Johnny. Still has value hopefully that can be maximized before his NTC kicks in
My only fear is that the offence is really going to dry up.

I always thought him and Brodie were the guys who drove the bus here and if we lose Gaudreau too I think goals are going to be even harder to come by.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think there are a few important ways to assess the list.

1) Urgency - have to focus on the contracts that are coming up the soonest
2) Impact - if you want to change things which player's exit would accomplish the most?
3) Value - Which player will fetch the closest to the team's view of their worth

And then you have to get feelers ... clearly Tranny isn't suggesting this, but the last thing you want to do is to DECIDE to trade player X and then do so regardless of the offers you're getting. The best offer isn't necessarily a good one.

So Giordano and Gaudreau should be the initial focus in my mind.

Giordano would probably be happy to do a Joe Thornton deal and stay in Calgary year to year so maybe he's not all that much a flight risk for value.

Gaudreau is the big one. Will he take a 5 year deal for something like $7.5? If he won't you have to move him now.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #10
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mentioned this in another thread, but I think we will see one trade that most see coming (Gaudreau), and another that catches people by surprise.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan is the absolute slam dunk answer here. Get something for him now before his value really craters.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #12
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan is where scoring chances go to die. He's a cancer on the offense of this team. He needs to be gone, I don't care what they get in return.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk have started to come together, and Johnny at least looks like a shell of his former self. Mangi/Monahan/Dube is a disaster.

I don't know if it's injury or what, but he's barely a 2nd line C at this point on most teams in the league. The team needs a massive offensive upgrade, and Monahan isn't part of that.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #13
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has to be Monahan.

He’s fantastic.... like 1-2 games in a 10 game stretch.

At least Gaudreau has shown up a bit this year, and has also still put up points no matter the coach.

Tkachuk gets a longer leash for me, this is his first off year. But, if you have to include him in a deal to get a franchise C (almost no one out there is available except maybe Eichel), then
maybe you explore trading him.

All 3 have a case for be traded, but if only one could be I would be sending Monahan off. He’s had his chance, and he hasn’t been effective with or without Gaudreau this season. Time to cut ties with him. Trade him to a center-starved team like Montreal, Columbus, Ottawa, etc. All of them have draft pick capital and some really good prospects.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #14
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade. Them. All.

If it were at all possible, I would look at getting rid of them all for various reasons. Johnny because I don't think he's part of the answer here long term, the team needs to start over and by the time they are good he likely won't be...plus he should fetch a good return to build with. Monahan for most of the same reasons. Tkachuck for contract reasons and I think there just seems to be some awkwardness between him and the team. Gio because he's the captain and you want to start anew. Backlund likely in the expansion draft. Hanifin is tricky, he's a guy you could keep and not build around but build with. Tanev might be worth a lot to some teams, if there is a good return on him I think you have to explore it but he'd be ok to stay. The exact same with Anderson, most of the D are in the same boat. As for Valimaki, I could see him as part of a bigger deal with one of the core forwards. The team trading for one of the forwards would also be getting a young D to help offset giving up youth (which is what the Flames should target in trades). It's sad but I see Valimaki as a sweetener at this point.

Lindholm is in a league of his own. I would love to keep him to captain the team because he does so many things well and he's on a great contract. That would be why other teams would want him though. If a team is willing to give up a lot of good young assets for him, I'd be open to trading him though.

Markstrom might not want to be around for a rebild and I think some teams would give up a lot for him. If they go rebuild, trade him too.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #15
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan - he's done here. Needs a fresh start as does the org

Gaudreau - not sure he's a long term asset, so must look at moving asap

Giordano - symbiotic move at this stage

My opinion is that 2of 3, at least, must be moved.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does trading Monahan really accomplish a lot? I'd deal him while there is still hope for a rebound, as we have seen guys with bad seasons still return tremendous value (Josh Anderson or anyone remember Gary Leeman).

To me the wildcard is what the hell is going on with Tkachuk. He was much more engaged last game but he was going through the motions for a while there, so if doesn't want to be here, you move him IMO. Or if you're just concerned about his moods affecting his play, you move him.

You have to talk contract with Gaudreau. That decides the whole issue with him. It has a big impact with Tkachuk too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #17
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends on whether Tre can get a good feeling for what Johnny wants to do. If he's committed to staying, you probably want to hold onto him and trade Monahan.
If he's wishy washy, trade Johnny and get good value instead of losing him for nothing (probably still trade Monahan too though)
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think it has to be Gaudreau....unless he signs an extension before the draft.

Personally i dont believe you can expect great success with him as the main guy. He is a tremendous offensive talent, but thats it with him. He cant help the club when he isnt scoring. Then you add in he will be seeing a NTC kicking in at the start of the league year, he can walk for nothing at next seasons end, and his price tag now....he has to be the one.

Obviously one, or two, will be gonzo, but as far as asset management goes it just has to be JG unless he agrees to that extension.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #19
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This would be poor asset management on my part but I would keep Gaudreau just to stick it to Francis.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #20
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau,

I believe its time to move on, in my view he is not going to resign.

They have to move him, my guess its done at the draft
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post: