Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #141
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

As weed will be legal in all of Canada that’s not a valid comparison. Cross border smuggling may be an issue but that’s entirely different than state to state where the borders aren’t controlled.

Edit: OK having read the full article it’s now clear to me that that has nothing to do with Canada situation at all and it’s just the CBC trying to generate page views. If anything that article supports legalizing weed because it makes it clear that a lot of people will buy it legally and only places where it is still illegal do they worry about the black market.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #142
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya this seems more a result of it being illegal elsewhere, rather than it being legal in Colorado.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #143
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They interview the drug dealer and he said legalization hasn't affected his business much at all. There are still lots of clients buying from him.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #144
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering Colorado has reached 1.5 billion in sales since legalization I would say overall that the collective Terry has been greatly impacted. I'm sure there are dealers that are still operating but their numbers have to have been reduced by a fair margin.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #145
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Considering Colorado has reached 1.5 billion in sales since legalization I would say overall that the collective Terry has been greatly impacted. I'm sure there are dealers that are still operating but their numbers have to have been reduced by a fair margin.
Well yeah. But the assertions that the Terrys of the world will all be out of business in a couple years, because 'nobody buys black-market alcohol' are unfounded. There will continue to be a sizeable black market for pot in Canada for the forseeable future, because it's easy to grow and distribute, and there's already a large market of people who have no problem at all getting weed under the current regime, so they don't have any strong incentive to change.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #146
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the incentive to change of course is cost. As long as it's cheaper on the black market, the black market will exist. Take Las Vegas, factoring in tax legal weed generally goes for close to $20 USD a gram. On the black market you'll be able to get similar quality for half the price or even less. Even stoners can recognize simple economics.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 05-28-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #147
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya this seems more a result of it being illegal elsewhere, rather than it being legal in Colorado.
Did you read this part?

Quote:
She had 527 people respond to her 2017 survey, and while she is still tallying the results for this year, she says the findings are consistent.

"There is still a larger percentage of people buying from the black market [than legally]," she said.

The results of Bolivar's Facebook survey suggested nearly 50 per cent of the respondents were not shopping at the state's licensed dispensaries. Bolivar says most are buying their pot off of friends or sticking to their regular dealers because they trust them.
The article also points out that some people are reluctant to be seen buying at a dispensary because there's still a stigma around pot. We're a long way to go in Canada before it's as socially acceptable as booze, when people will openly talk around their boss in a corporate environment about getting baked on the weekend, or spark up a joint in front of the kids at the neighbour's BBQ with the same ease with which they crack a beer.

And of course, there's the underage market.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-28-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #148
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Did you read this part?

The article also points out that some people are reluctant to be seen buying at a dispensary because there's still a stigma around pot. We're a long way to go in Canada before it's as socially acceptable as booze, when people will openly talk around their boss in a corporate environment about getting baked on the weekend, or spark up a joint in front of the kids at the neighbour's BBQ.
Because it's still illegal federally.

There is a pretty massive disparity in what the two situations are going to be.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #149
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stigma is about more than illegality. I brought up legalization around some co-workers recently. All 40-something. All parents. First, none would admit to smoking pot. They made allusive comments about it, hinted maybe they'd smoked it in the past, but nobody would come out and say they smoked it now (though I'm pretty sure at least a couple do). When I asked if they'd be okay with anyone at their house smoking dope with kids around, like the way they have a beer or wine at a BBQ, the answer was an resounding eff no. Never.

Social attitudes about things like that don't change like flipping a switch just because a law changes. Most of the pot-smokers I know, grown adults in their 40s, have still never admitted to their parents that they smoke dope, and they never will. When pot is legal in Canada, there will still be a lot of people who will only smoke it privately and secretly.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #150
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

well then those people can harden up
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #151
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
...When I asked if they'd be okay with anyone at their house smoking dope with kids around, like the way they have a beer or wine at a BBQ, the answer was an resounding eff no. Never.

To be fair, I would give the same answer but not because of pot, but because smoking in general is gross. If someone came to my house and started smoking cigarettes around my kids, I'd tell them to leave. If we were at someone else's house, we would probably leave.

As someone who grew up when smoking everywhere was acceptable, I am quite okay with smoking becoming less ok.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #152
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

So allegedly, there's a lot of 'certified' growers who are buying from non certified growers which I find hilarious. Legalize to phase out the illegal growers and here they are with more buyers than ever.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #153
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah if we were sitting around a fire or bbq and you lit a cigeraette I’d probably look at you like you’re some sort of idiot and tell you to leave the yard. Won’t be any different with joints. No one wants unnessesary smoke blowing around.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #154
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The stigma is about more than illegality. I brought up legalization around some co-workers recently. All 40-something. All parents. First, none would admit to smoking pot. They made allusive comments about it, hinted maybe they'd smoked it in the past, but nobody would come out and say they smoked it now (though I'm pretty sure at least a couple do). When I asked if they'd be okay with anyone at their house smoking dope with kids around, like the way they have a beer or wine at a BBQ, the answer was an resounding eff no. Never.

Social attitudes about things like that don't change like flipping a switch just because a law changes. Most of the pot-smokers I know, grown adults in their 40s, have still never admitted to their parents that they smoke dope, and they never will. When pot is legal in Canada, there will still be a lot of people who will only smoke it privately and secretly.
Smoking pot around kids is not even close to drinking a beer around kids...that's not a stigma it's just common sense.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 11:11 PM   #155
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Smoking pot around kids is not even close to drinking a beer around kids...that's not a stigma it's just common sense.
What about consuming marijuana in other methods?
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #156
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
What do you mean “around kids”? Hotboxing a car? Sure that’s a bad idea. Sparking a joint at a bbq? How is that any different than drinking a beer?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #157
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah if we were sitting around a fire or bbq and you lit a cigeraette I’d probably look at you like you’re some sort of idiot and tell you to leave the yard. Won’t be any different with joints. No one wants unnessesary smoke blowing around.
Yah if we were sitting around a fire ..... No one wants unnessesary smoke blowing around.

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 AM   #158
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Yah if we were sitting around a fire ..... No one wants unnessesary smoke blowing around.

Maybe they were vaping the fire.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #159
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I asked if they'd be okay with anyone at their house smoking dope with kids around, like the way they have a beer or wine at a BBQ, the answer was an resounding eff no. Never.
Yeah, that's probably because of the smoke, not necessarily it's content. The problem with kids is that they're unpredictable. You don't want kids running up to you while you're smoking a joint. I'm pretty sure most of those people would also say the same thing about smoking a cigarette with kids around as well. As a smoker, I do it as far away from kids as possible because they can inhale it, not because I'm ashamed or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #160
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
[SIZE="6"]Yah if we were sitting around a fire ..... No one wants unnessesary smoke blowing around.

Yes because there is no difference between weed/cigarette smoke and a fire or bbq.

Good thing I don’t hang out with losers who would actually smoke around people who don’t want it. They leave the area like a respectable person does.