Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #6041
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whitecap on a bit of a buying spree, they just picked up Kicking Horse for $300 million to add to their Montney acreage. I guess I could have posted this in the layoff section as there will undoubtedly be some job losses but Kicking Horse is not a large player and these will likely be relatively minor.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #6042
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383891087794733059
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #6043
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
That is good news. For those mobile enough to leave O&G and find another spot these last 6-7 years, would you return?

Its something I have fought with myself. I really like the new industry I am in, and got lucky it was the same type of roll, so I could move back.

I just struggle with the culture of O&G. The highs and lows and TBH the seemingly laggard culture when it comes to technology, women in leadership, work/life balance, and other social issues.

I thought my last company was pretty good on this in O&G and then moved out and realized they weren't as great outside the sector. Seemed a bit old boys club comparatively.

Funny how much I realized what I truly value over just money after I left. It was 5 years ago and maybe things have evolved?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 06:58 PM   #6044
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
That is good news. For those mobile enough to leave O&G and find another spot these last 6-7 years, would you return?

Its something I have fought with myself. I really like the new industry I am in, and got lucky it was the same type of roll, so I could move back.

I just struggle with the culture of O&G. The highs and lows and TBH the seemingly laggard culture when it comes to technology, women in leadership, work/life balance, and other social issues.

I thought my last company was pretty good on this in O&G and then moved out and realized they weren't as great outside the sector. Seemed a bit old boys club comparatively.

Funny how much I realized what I truly value over just money after I left. It was 5 years ago and maybe things have evolved?
If you're asking whether the O&G has "improved"?? From my perspective - absolutely not. The old boys club of die hard boisterous bullies is still pervasive where people get promoted above their level of incompetency, don't get held responsible for their decisions (the underlings take the heat, the blame, and the layoffs), meanwhile the poor service providers get leaned on harder and harder with progressively more unrealistic expectations by those with less and less knowledge.

There haven't been many "highs" since 2014 and the lows are becoming low-blows. Some folks seem to get doing ok however I've noticed they toe the line and don't make any fuss and typically don't stand for anything (ie defending their team), and just try to blend into the background.

I'm hoping I can make it another 5-7 years in O&G but then after that who knows. If need be I'll take on a "subsistence" job in order to let my investment capital do it's work whilst making enough to pay my basics of living. Or, who knows, maybe actually try something different just because.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #6045
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I was lured back to one of the majors two years ago and find the exact same thing. There's still no compressed work week option, management is still almost exclusively old and white, change management is still an afterthought, the org is as tall/bureaucratic/hierarchical as its ever been, etc. The "progressive" branding that they're trying to do really isn't very progressive compared to what's happening outside O&G.

Now that O&G isn't handing out crazy salaries any more, I'd rather trade a couple percent of the bonus for more stability and a less toxic corporate culture that isn't perpetuated by endless layoffs.

Should be an interesting few years to see if oil does experience any legitimate hiring difficulties.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #6046
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I would never go back. I work now in an non-cyclical market, best thing ever.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #6047
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I didn’t find the O&G industry a laggard in those areas. Vacation time, flex days, and flexible office hours are no better or worse outside O&G. I imagine those things depend on the company as much as anything.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #6048
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would not return and even if I tried to return to working as an O&G Geologist I don't think they would take me back as I have been away for 6 years now. From a future career progress view I think it would look really bad on the resume as well if the inevitable happened and I was out of a job again in a few years. Many companies are still pretty hesitant towards hiring O&G people because of various stigma and the concern that they will be out the door to go back as soon as they can.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #6049
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Depends on perspective I suppose. From my end, O&G is one of the most innovative and technologically advanced industries. The advances in drilling over the past 10 years have been astounding and it's due in large to technology advances. And the use of analytics is just beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
If you're asking whether the O&G has "improved"?? From my perspective - absolutely not. The old boys club of die hard boisterous bullies is still pervasive where people get promoted above their level of incompetency, don't get held responsible for their decisions (the underlings take the heat, the blame, and the layoffs), meanwhile the poor service providers get leaned on harder and harder with progressively more unrealistic expectations by those with less and less knowledge.

There haven't been many "highs" since 2014 and the lows are becoming low-blows. Some folks seem to get doing ok however I've noticed they toe the line and don't make any fuss and typically don't stand for anything (ie defending their team), and just try to blend into the background.

I'm hoping I can make it another 5-7 years in O&G but then after that who knows. If need be I'll take on a "subsistence" job in order to let my investment capital do it's work whilst making enough to pay my basics of living. Or, who knows, maybe actually try something different just because.
Fully agree Richie. The service side has always been tough but it's been the most stressful time of my life since 2014 when things really crashed (and have not recovered in Canada). I'm too far along to change direction now so am also hoping I can get 7-8 more years and be able to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
I was lured back to one of the majors two years ago and find the exact same thing. There's still no compressed work week option, management is still almost exclusively old and white, change management is still an afterthought, the org is as tall/bureaucratic/hierarchical as its ever been, etc. The "progressive" branding that they're trying to do really isn't very progressive compared to what's happening outside O&G.

Should be an interesting few years to see if oil does experience any legitimate hiring difficulties.
True on both counts. Some places and professions do offer a compressed week but others it is not practical. Hard to schedule someone to a 4 day week when their job requires 24/7 attention and never stops.

Every time their is a crash is has been harder to recruit again when it recovers. Particularly in the service side. Some people just have had enough of the unsteadiness and uncertainty and want something more reliable and predictable. Another significant thing is we are losing one of our main and traditional supply of workers and (rural males) as our population becomes more urban (and diverse). The appeal of working a rig or driving a truck during the winter (when you cannot farm anyway) is not there anymore.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #6050
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the issue with keeping/attracting workers is consistently of work. Guys don’t want to work a service rig doing 2-3 days a week anymore.

Mind you it’s hard to find guys who still want to work 21/3 anyway..
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #6051
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Depends on perspective I suppose. From my end, O&G is one of the most innovative and technologically advanced industries. The advances in drilling over the past 10 years have been astounding and it's due in large to technology advances. And the use of analytics is just beginning.
Thanks for the feedback, maybe I should have been more specific. To me there is IT and OT (Operational Technology). I did find O&G was innovative on OT side, but things outside that in IT were lagging. I look at the issues many companies had when the pandemic started enabling people to work from home and it seemed quite a few were unprepared. For me, this spoke to culture where you were expected to be in your office 9-5 M-F.

Anyways, from everyone's response looks like not much has changed. I am not surprised. My wife just left her job in O&G and many of the issues mentioned by others she was still experiencing. Being away for 5 years allowed be to be a little shocked at how they treated her, but I do remember how it was when I was in the industry.

Seems like the culture has shifted to survive 10-15 more years. Which is not good at all. Very little pride in the industry these days is seems.

Anyways, glad to see the outlook improve so people who are holding on have the opportunity to do so. What I would suggest is keep looking to get out but don't rush. I was really scared to leave the industry I knew, but realized the reasons were all days off and compensation based.

I feel I actually work somewhere that my leaders all the way down have competent leadership and a progressive vision. I actually take great pride in my work. Its something I wouldn't give up easily if O&G came knocking and offered more money that is for sure.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #6052
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not gonna lie I have experienced the industry significantly different than you have described over the last 10 years. But I guess it depends where and who you work with.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #6053
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very little pride in the industry these days is seems.
Hard to take any pride in an industry where you're actively vilified by a rapidly growing contingent of the western world and it's leaders (unless of course they're freezing to death or fuel prices may quardulpe - but don't worry that memory fades rapidly). Also tough to take pride in an industry that basically has a mandated expiry date.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #6054
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not gonna lie I have experienced the industry significantly different than you have described over the last 10 years. But I guess it depends where and who you work with.
Not sure if this was to me, but I haven't been in it for 5 years at least. Was just curious what others saw.

I actually hoped things were better, so glad to hear there are some pockets at least that are good.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #6055
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, maybe I should have been more specific. To me there is IT and OT (Operational Technology). I did find O&G was innovative on OT side, but things outside that in IT were lagging. I look at the issues many companies had when the pandemic started enabling people to work from home and it seemed quite a few were unprepared. For me, this spoke to culture where you were expected to be in your office 9-5 M-F.

Anyways, from everyone's response looks like not much has changed. I am not surprised. My wife just left her job in O&G and many of the issues mentioned by others she was still experiencing. Being away for 5 years allowed be to be a little shocked at how they treated her, but I do remember how it was when I was in the industry.

Seems like the culture has shifted to survive 10-15 more years. Which is not good at all. Very little pride in the industry these days is seems.

Anyways, glad to see the outlook improve so people who are holding on have the opportunity to do so. What I would suggest is keep looking to get out but don't rush. I was really scared to leave the industry I knew, but realized the reasons were all days off and compensation based.

I feel I actually work somewhere that my leaders all the way down have competent leadership and a progressive vision. I actually take great pride in my work. Its something I wouldn't give up easily if O&G came knocking and offered more money that is for sure.
Maybe I'm missing something but it did not seem easy to pivot from O&G into "something else" that uses the same skills, whilst still staying in Calgary. It was not practical for me to pivot into IT-related field. I'm open to suggestions for getting outa this rat race and hopefully to a lot-less stressful work environment. Gotta work to live, not live to work.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #6056
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but it did not seem easy to pivot from O&G into "something else" that uses the same skills, whilst still staying in Calgary. It was not practical for me to pivot into IT-related field. I'm open to suggestions for getting outa this rat race and hopefully to a lot-less stressful work environment. Gotta work to live, not live to work.
I think it depends what discipline. I was a reservoir/development engineer, which isn't very transferable. I started my own business (which is completely unrelated to my education or experience).

My whole team was laid off at the same time. The accountants/HR folks tended to go outside oil and gas but within their discipline. The engineers/geologists/geophysics types tended to either stay in O&G or do something totally different (probably a 50/50 split). A few got related "clean energy" type jobs (lithium brine mining, geothermal, etc) but those were the exception not the rule.

I think in general the grass isn't always greener. I like having my own business, but COVID has been pretty bad for that. And I know one person who went to a clean energy startup that went bankrupt and they were out of work again, with no severance or last paycheck.

Last edited by bizaro86; 04-20-2021 at 06:12 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #6057
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Are you white, male, and well connected within the industry? If yes, of course your experience has been consistently great in O&G regardless of the company. I don't mean that in an antagonistic way, it's just the reality of the "old boys club" mentality that's still present in many parts of O&G.

My wife is a woman and a minority that still works at one of the majors, and her experience over the past six years sounds similar to OldDutch's wife with respect to unequal treatment (e.g. slightly lower pay than male peers for the same roles, getting treated differently while she's at site, mansplaining, unasked "chivalry", etc.). Not that she wouldn't necessarily encounter similar treatment at any other company, but there are a lot of dinosaurs in management for corporate functions that dictate the corporate culture and have an "old school" approach. Plus, the closer you get to site, the less progressive O&G gets.

As far as people and technology goes, O&G has been lagging other industries and still does...more-so since 2015 when the money for things that weren't value-added started getting cut. Some examples:
  • Technology. It took a pandemic for Suncor to roll out new devices (e.g. Microsoft Surfaces) and new(er) enterprise collaboration software like Teams and OneDrive, as well as accelerate digital strategy development (e.g. enterprise cloud strategy). Some companies like CNRL still don't even have that. The City of Calgary, which is notoriously behind on technology best practices had rolled out Surfaces two years before the pandemic, Teams + OneDrive about a year before, and stood-up a cloud business office four years prior. There's also VDI and other remote work software options. A lot of O&G companies still don't have strong offerings for those even though a technology laggard like the City have had those in place for staff to use for years. It's no coincidence that the majors are all undergoing major technology transformations right now to catch-up on years of underfunded IT infrastructure.
  • Flexible Working. Companies that skew to a younger demographic like ATB, Benevity, WestJet, etc. allow flexible work options to pick where you want to work, flex time for occasional life events (e.g. appointments), compressed work week options, etc. O&G still has good vacation policies, but the prevailing flexible work options at Suncor, CNRL, Whitecap, etc. are "butts in seats" between 9-5 every day of the week. It took a pandemic for them to consider allowing some WFH options.
  • Fringe Perks. O&G used to be known for awesome benefits plans, corporate discounts/partnerships, paid education and professional development, etc. A lot of that has been pared back and is worse than other industries. I know for fact that CP and Shaw have more flexible and better benefits offerings than Suncor, CNRL, Cenovus, etc.
  • Inclusion and Diversity. I don't know how to qualify this, but O&G still skews quite heavily towards certain stereotypes of people. Anecdotal, but my company's I&D team has been running diversity workshops and have outright said that the presence and tolerance of other races, creeds, sex, etc. isn't as good as it needs to be.

O&G has slowly become more progressive over the years, but it has not been keeping pace with the rest of the corporate world, even just within Calgary. For anyone that has stepped outside of O&G since 2015, there are an ever-increasing amount of reasons not to return.

I'm not trying be overly negative about O&G. Producer wages and bonuses are still good, and certain companies like Suncor are still objectively good employers. However, the industry as a whole is not progressive, particularly for people that want stability and/or aren't solely focused on getting big bonuses.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #6058
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Are you white, male, and well connected within the industry? If yes, of course your experience has been consistently great in O&G regardless of the company. I don't mean that in an antagonistic way, it's just the reality of the "old boys club" mentality that's still present in many parts of O&G.

My wife is a woman and a minority that still works at one of the majors, and her experience over the past six years sounds similar to OldDutch's wife with respect to unequal treatment (e.g. slightly lower pay than male peers for the same roles, getting treated differently while she's at site, mansplaining, unasked "chivalry", etc.). Not that she wouldn't necessarily encounter similar treatment at any other company, but there are a lot of dinosaurs in management for corporate functions that dictate the corporate culture and have an "old school" approach. Plus, the closer you get to site, the less progressive O&G gets.

As far as people and technology goes, O&G has been lagging other industries and still does...more-so since 2015 when the money for things that weren't value-added started getting cut. Some examples:
  • Technology. It took a pandemic for Suncor to roll out new devices (e.g. Microsoft Surfaces) and new(er) enterprise collaboration software like Teams and OneDrive, as well as accelerate digital strategy development (e.g. enterprise cloud strategy). Some companies like CNRL still don't even have that. The City of Calgary, which is notoriously behind on technology best practices had rolled out Surfaces two years before the pandemic, Teams + OneDrive about a year before, and stood-up a cloud business office four years prior. There's also VDI and other remote work software options. A lot of O&G companies still don't have strong offerings for those even though a technology laggard like the City have had those in place for staff to use for years. It's no coincidence that the majors are all undergoing major technology transformations right now to catch-up on years of underfunded IT infrastructure.
  • Flexible Working. Companies that skew to a younger demographic like ATB, Benevity, WestJet, etc. allow flexible work options to pick where you want to work, flex time for occasional life events (e.g. appointments), compressed work week options, etc. O&G still has good vacation policies, but the prevailing flexible work options at Suncor, CNRL, Whitecap, etc. are "butts in seats" between 9-5 every day of the week. It took a pandemic for them to consider allowing some WFH options.
  • Fringe Perks. O&G used to be known for awesome benefits plans, corporate discounts/partnerships, paid education and professional development, etc. A lot of that has been pared back and is worse than other industries. I know for fact that CP and Shaw have more flexible and better benefits offerings than Suncor, CNRL, Cenovus, etc.
  • Inclusion and Diversity. I don't know how to qualify this, but O&G still skews quite heavily towards certain stereotypes of people. Anecdotal, but my company's I&D team has been running diversity workshops and have outright said that the presence and tolerance of other races, creeds, sex, etc. isn't as good as it needs to be.

O&G has slowly become more progressive over the years, but it has not been keeping pace with the rest of the corporate world, even just within Calgary. For anyone that has stepped outside of O&G since 2015, there are an ever-increasing amount of reasons not to return.

I'm not trying be overly negative about O&G. Producer wages and bonuses are still good, and certain companies like Suncor are still objectively good employers. However, the industry as a whole is not progressive, particularly for people that want stability and/or aren't solely focused on getting big bonuses.
Good synopsis of experiences and pretty much align with my ~20+ years in O&G. As far as O&G has come, it still has a lot of improvement opportunities. I've worked for both smaller and larger organizations, and actually the larger organizations had too much talk, too many initiatives, and really not much action or true adherence. All bark, not enough bite. And I say this as a white male who has observed far far too much of Ye Ole Boys Club protectionism. (Note I say OBSERVED... I've definitely been victimized by it for standing up for others when it may not have been politically prudent... which explains a bit...).
Old 04-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #6059
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I think of the old downtown O&G culture, I think of this guy from the Office:

Todd F. Packer

Last edited by Ironhorse; 04-21-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 01:46 PM   #6060
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

These days I picture dozens and dozens of guys dressed like Brett Wilson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Whenever I think of the old downtown O&G culture, I think of this guy from the Office:

Todd F. Packer