Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #261
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Its weird the distaste for SJ. each to their own. But they're the least bothersome of the California teams. Anaheim will always be public enemy #1. Then the Kings because I've grow to dislike Doughty a fair bit. And I feel we beat the Sharks are fair bit/play them really well.
I'm getting pretty annoyed by the caveman look by Thornton and Burns and how much attention they get in the media for bad personal grooming, so the Sharks are moving themselves up.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #262
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm getting pretty annoyed by the caveman look by Thornton and Burns and how much attention they get in the media for bad personal grooming, so the Sharks are moving themselves up.
You wouldn't say that if you could do it too.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 07:22 AM   #263
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should know today if he's going to re-sign with the Islanders: https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavare...ay/c-299335806

I checked, and news of the Stamkos signing broke just before 2:00pm MT on the 29th two years ago.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #264
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonderful.

TSN top 10 this morning is John Tavares top 10 moments.

FU TSN
FU John Tavares
..and FU San Jose if JT chooses to go there

Pisses me off that we can't attract players like this in free agency. Not even a goddamn sniff. Probably be a good idea to learn how to draft and develop NHL talent on a more consistent basis.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #265
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Wonderful.

TSN top 10 this morning is John Tavares top 10 moments.

FU TSN
FU John Tavares
..and FU San Jose if JT chooses to go there

Pisses me off that we can't attract players like this in free agency. Not even a goddamn sniff. Probably be a good idea to learn how to draft and develop NHL talent on a more consistent basis.
How many other teams are attracting top players like this? Just a number of years ago, we got the biggest prize in Free Agency, Jay Bouwmeester.

There is generally 1 BIG UFA each year. By that logic, getting one guy every 31 years is fair.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #266
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
How many other teams are attracting top players like this? Just a number of years ago, we got the biggest prize in Free Agency, Jay Bouwmeester.

There is generally 1 BIG UFA each year. By that logic, getting one guy every 31 years is fair.
No kidding. So the flames don’t have to spend $12mil on a single player. Big whoop.

Yeah he would have been a great add. But he doesn’t guarantee you any hardware.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #267
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh yeah, Flames ended up getting a soft as butter Dman who failed miserably in his time here. That makes me feel better about a prime #1C wanting nothing to do with us and possibly moving all the way across the country to sign with a divisional rival that even after 15 years won't #### off, thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #268
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tavares is an unreal talent but I still think that contract will be a regret by year 4 or so. Look at Toews in Chicago - is he the 10+ million captain that they signed 3 years ago?? They still have that contract for 5 more seasons and while he should have a bounce back season or two it’s going to be a bloated anchor of a contract by the end.

I like Tree’s approach so far when it comes to contract length with RFA’s/internal UFA’s

The Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Backlund, Stone contracts he’s drawn up have been great value IMO.

Edit: Tavares is obviously the superior talent compared to Toews but even superstars age and I still think that this will be a regret contract in time.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #269
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah, Flames ended up getting a soft as butter Dman who failed miserably in his time here. That makes me feel better about a prime #1C wanting nothing to do with us and possibly moving all the way across the country to sign with a divisional rival that even after 15 years won't #### off, thanks.
Doesn't matter if he was soft, I was just commenting on your post that Free Agents never consider Calgary. This board was jumping with joy when Sutter made that happen and I can't seem to recall a single poster being sad that he was soft as butter.

As for the bitterness against the Sharks, you do realize they have won a total of 0 cups in those 15 years right? Every year the team is set to do well and they end up getting nowhere. Getting Tavares does not mean they will win the Stanley Cup -- cause Thornton in his prime certainly didn't make it happen and he was better.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #270
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't matter if he was soft, I was just commenting on your post that Free Agents never consider Calgary. This board was jumping with joy when Sutter made that happen and I can't seem to recall a single poster being sad that he was soft as butter.

As for the bitterness against the Sharks, you do realize they have won a total of 0 cups in those 15 years right? Every year the team is set to do well and they end up getting nowhere. Getting Tavares does not mean they will win the Stanley Cup -- cause Thornton in his prime certainly didn't make it happen and he was better.
SJ hasn't won any cups? Thanks for the info lol

They've made the playoffs 14/15 years and have whooped our asses on a regular basis most of that time. Then they scoop us on Kane and he just lights our asses up down the stretch last year, and now it looks like they'll get a franchise #1 C in his prime just as Thornton is getting close to shutting it down.

I'm not worried about them winning the Cup. I'm worried about the fact that we compete directly with them for playoff spots and they won't go away even after a decade and a half and now (if they land JT) will have added two 30+ goal scorers in their primes to their roster in the last 4 months.

I'm sorry if Jay Bouwmeester picking us 9 years ago doesn't make me feel any better about it.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #271
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They've made the playoffs 14/15 years and have whooped our asses on a regular basis most of that time. Then they scoop us on Kane and he just lights our asses up down the stretch last year, and now it looks like they'll get a franchise #1 C in his prime just as Thornton is getting close to shutting it down.

I'm not worried about them winning the Cup. I'm worried about the fact that we compete directly with them for playoff spots and they won't go away even after a decade and a half and now (if they land JT) will have added two 30+ goal scorers in their primes to their roster in the last 4 months.

I'm sorry if Jay Bouwmeester picking us 9 years ago doesn't make me feel any better about it.
No worries, I looked it up on Google to confirm and yup, no cups! Glad I could help

I do think not getting Kane was a mistake as I wanted him.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM   #272
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little salty this morning and just hoping JT picks the Isles sometime today or tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #273
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

They've made the playoffs 14/15 years and have whooped our asses on a regular basis most of that time...
No, they have not. Last year was bad, but it was also surprising because historically the Flames have been pretty competitive in their games with SJ for the past several years. Last year was an anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 AM   #274
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, they have not. Last year was bad, but it was also surprising because historically the Flames have been pretty competitive in their games with SJ for the past several years. Last year was an anomaly.
Fair enough, head to head Calgary has won 35 games against SJ and SJ has won 37. Pretty even. Must feel like they whoop us more than that because they've made the playoffs 14 times in 15 years to our 7.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #275
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, head to head Calgary has won 35 games against SJ and SJ has won 37. Pretty even. Must feel like they whoop us more than that because they've made the playoffs 14 times in 15 years to our 7.
I understand your frustration and it is fun to be in the playoffs. However, just because you go to a dance, doesn't mean that you are going to end up as Prom King.

And the Sharks are probably the most disappointing team in the league now that the Capitals have won.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #276
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the Sharks are probably the most disappointing team in the league now that the Capitals have won.
St. Louis?

25 seasons in a row making the playoffs up to 2004, three Stanley Cup final losses, longest Stanley Cup drought (tied with Toronto). 0 Cups.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #277
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
St. Louis?

25 seasons in a row making the playoffs up to 2004, three Stanley Cup final losses, longest Stanley Cup drought (tied with Toronto). 0 Cups.
True. St. Louis for sure. San Jose has got to be up there though.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #278
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't it be funny if he waited until July 3 to make his decision? It could potentially be a slow start to the free agency period with people waiting to see where Tavares goes before making decisions on other players. Some teams, such as the six he has talked to, could miss out on some good alternatives if they had to wait for Tavares' decision.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #279
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. St. Louis for sure. San Jose has got to be up there though.
Toronto is the worst. St. Louis is up there. San Jose is farther down the list than you would expect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eason_droughts

That link lists Stanley Cup Droughts, Stanley Cup Finals Droughts, Playoffs Series Win droughts, and Post-Season appearance droughts. It lists active and all-time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #280
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Winnipeg has the right idea. They know they'll never be an attractive destination for big-name free agents, so they build their franchise around drafting and developing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote