Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #321
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Wow was this ever overblown. Players get punched every game. Players that jump other players from behind like Panarin did do not get to complain about getting hurt doing so.

Tom Wilson is a dirty player, but in this case he did not do anything that criminal. Sure a roughing penalty for the shot to the shoulder/head was warranted. But a life suspension?Yikes. The stick crosscheck last night was 100x worse than anything that happened in the previous game. And yes, the guy was triggered, he was out to prove himself and it was 100% retaliation. He should get a few games for that.

The NYR should be heavily fined for their press statements and their coach should be suspended for the antics. They wanted a war last night. Not the Caps.

Didnt Sutter and Heartley get suspended for similar things as coaches here?

And let's not be hypocrites. Many of you loved it when resident Flame tough guy Berube was literally chasing an unwilling player (Friesen?) to beat him up. Many to this day love Engelland for punching Canucks players with straights. Many other incidents in the dome to bring back.
Just sorta criminal then?

Quote:
Sorry but it's not Wilson's responsibility to worry about Panarin's helmet. These aren't children. Panarin's act was dumb, you don't jump a huge enforcer with a helmet on, never mind without.

And let's not pretend that Wilson couldn't have been hurt by Panarin's jump. He could have fallen backwards on his head.
Absolutely it is his responsibility to be more careful, since a guy isn't wearing a helmet. If he killed Panarin in this instance, he would have literally been held criminally responsible for his actions (part of being an adult).

The Rangers should have been and were fined, but Parros should have also been fired. It's a joke he has the job to begin with, especially in a league that supposedly wants to change.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #322
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I didnt watch the game. What did Mantha do?
It started at the Capital's blue line where Mantha slashed Buchnevich in the hand. Plays goes the other way, and Buchnevich hits Mantha cleanly along the boards. Mantha then skates behind Buchnevich and slashes him in the back of the leg twice, before the ref puts his hand up (to give Mantha an unsportsmanlike penalty), as the puck turns over to Washington and the play gets called dead Mantha then turns away from where he was going and comes straight at Buchnevich - Buchnevich throws up his hands and pops Mantha in the face.

All of a sudden Buchnevich is the dirty one? Nah, !@#$ that. !@#$ George Parros and the league.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #323
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The problem is a player trying to hurt players for years now in the NHL with a proven track record is getting 5k fines. Teams that are fed up are getting 250k fines.

The league looks like an absolute joke right now. I mean, it's just ridiculous. I expected a fine, but this is silly.
The problem is that the infraction was not something that needed a fine to start with.I s there are precedent before of similar incidents being punished like that? Players punch others all the time. If this was Michael Backlund and not Tom Wilson we wouldn't be hearing about it at all.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #324
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It started at the Capital's blue line where Mantha slashed Buchnevich in the hand. Plays goes the other way, and Buchnevich hits Mantha cleanly along the boards. Mantha then skates behind Buchnevich and slashes him in the back of the leg twice, before the ref puts his hand up (to give Mantha an unsportsmanlike penalty), as the puck turns over to Washington and the play gets called dead Mantha then turns away from where he was going and comes straight at Buchnevich - Buchnevich throws up his hands and pops Mantha in the face.
Oh ok, so nothing that happens in about every game.

Stick to the chops or neck though....hmm
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #325
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is that the infraction was not something that needed a fine to start with.I s there are precedent before of similar incidents being punished like that? Players punch others all the time. If this was Michael Backlund and not Tom Wilson we wouldn't be hearing about it at all.
Lucic punched a player and got multiple games.

Wilson punched Buchnevich when he was face down on the ice.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:22 AM   #326
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Lucic punched a player and got multiple games.

Wilson punched Buchnevich when he was face down on the ice.
Lucic got a reputation suspension and I disagree with it too.

Neither is suspension worthy.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #327
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry but it's not Wilson's responsibility to worry about Panarin's helmet. These aren't children. Panarin's act was dumb, you don't jump a huge enforcer with a helmet on, never mind without.

And let's not pretend that Wilson couldn't have been hurt by Panarin's jump. He could have fallen backwards on his head.
As Versteeg pointed out on 960 yesterday, NHL players know when they’re being grabbed by someone who wants to throw down, and when it’s just a crowd control effort that happens in scrums dozens of times a season.

Wilson was being grabbed by ‘4 PIM’ Artemi freakin’ Panarin. Any other player in the league would have shrugged it off. But Wilson is a nutbar who has no self control or regard for other players, so he went into berserker mode.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #328
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Red, you're out to lunch

I question if you even saw the play, since you said that Panarin jumped Wilson without a helmet on to begin with (which is 100 percent false).

You're so out of it, you should be in the running to replace Parros.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #329
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Who is “up in arms”? I’ve been bitching about how poorly the league handled this all week. And how last night was their fault.

Man, why does everyone always jump to be on a side against others… that’s the hilarious part of this.

Can’t even say “well ####, that was ugly and should be suspendible too”. Nope, gotta be pro caps/Wilson or anti caps/Wilson.
I wasn't referring to you at all, mostly the commentary I heard from last night. I didn't even quote you.

I actually am anti Caps in this situation. You don't get to have a guy like Wilson cause all the damage he does and then come away trying to be the victims and the guys who care about the code. Like I said, the cross check was cheap, but he's only engaging in a way that he was pushed to do so by a dirty team.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #330
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Red, you're out to lunch

I question if you even saw the play, since you said that Panarin jumped Wilson without a helmet on to begin with (which is 100 percent false).

You're so out of it, you should be in the running to replace Parros.
Saw the play. Was responding to someone that said he had no helmet on.

It was irrelevant to me. When I feel someone jump on my back that person is getting thrown off. Simple as that. These are hockey players and your skill level or PIM matter little in these situations. It's not like he wanted to fight Panarin.

As for me being our to lunch? Ya, probably. But in this case people wanting lengthy suspensions are being drama queens.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #331
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was irrelevant to me. When I feel someone jump on my back that person is getting thrown off. Simple as that. These are hockey players and your skill level or PIM matter little in these situations. It's not like he wanted to fight Panarin.

As for me being our to lunch? Ya, probably. But in this case people wanting lengthy suspensions are being drama queens.
You don't feel like you're at the complete opposite with your "it's all fine, nothing to see here" attitude.

It wasn't just the stuff on Panarin either (who just tried to hold Wilson from punching his defenseless teammates) There were also the punch to the back of Buchnevich's head when he was laying on the ice defenseless?

Or the punch to Stromes midsection when he was already pinned down by someone (who again was just trying to hold Wilson from punching a defenseless player).
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #332
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Nah, you obviously didn't see the play. He didn't throw some guy off his back. They were face to face when he pulled off Panarin's helmet, slammed him to the ground, punched him while he was on the ground, and slammed him to the ground again.

Your take is a joke, honestly. The "drama queens" are just people who actually watched the play.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #333
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
These are hockey players and your skill level or PIM matter little in these situations.
False. When was the last time a goon ragdolled a super star player?

Quote:
All the league had to do was give Wilson 1 frickin' game.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #334
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You guys saw this clip right… this should be multi game.
100% correct. And this is why you have to punish the initial offender appropriately, otherwise players feel the need to respond to dirt with dirt to defend themselves.

This is 100% the fault of the league for not dealing with Wilson appropriately this time, or any of the other countless times he acted like a psychopath. They don't care about player safety other than what they could be legally liable for, and they do the bare minimum to take care of that.

Tell me again how Daniel Carcillo is wrong about the league? I'd love to hear those arguments against him one more time.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #335
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

You asked for precedent, and the Lucic 2 game suspension they gave you was one. Whether you disagree with it or not is irrelevant. The league set a precedent and then didn't follow it.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #336
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
100% correct. And this is why you have to punish the initial offender appropriately, otherwise players feel the need to respond to dirt with dirt to defend themselves.

This is 100% the fault of the league for not dealing with Wilson appropriately this time, or any of the other countless times he acted like a psychopath. They don't care about player safety other than what they could be legally liable for, and they do the bare minimum to take care of that.

Tell me again how Daniel Carcillo is wrong about the league? I'd love to hear those arguments against him one more time.
I also think the Association needs to wear some of this as well.

I can't think of too many other Associations/Unions that would look the other way when one member was deliberately trying to injure another.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #337
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Wilson should have been suspended. - Mistake
I think the NYR should have been fined for their outburst. - Correct
I think Buchnevich should be suspended. - we will see

Why do I think he deserves a suspension? Just "protecting himself"? No, you can't use that argument. If you start differentiating between what a player does on the ice because of why or what may happen if he doesn't, then you failed (even worse) as a league.

Buchnevich popped him right in the face with a cross-check on purpose. Was Mantha just going to do the same to him? I don't know. Maybe Mantha was going to really crosscheck him, maybe punch him in the face, or maybe he was just going to challenge Buchnevich to a fight and do some pushing and shoving. We don't know what would have happened, but you can't take a side and say that Buch was only protecting himself, and thereby deserves to have nothing happen to him.

It doesn't matter WHY something happens. It just matters that it did.

Just because you screwed up once doesn't mean that now you have to screw up again. That will just confirm that you aren't doing your job properly. They did one wrong thing so far (in my opinion of course). I expect Buchnevich to get a fine or a 1 game suspension because what he did is deserving of one. Any time you cross-check someone in the head - especially in the face - there should be some form of discipline attached, regardless of the circumstance.

I would think that the league as a whole needs to sit down and figure out the overall disciplinary department. I don't think that just one guy should do this. It turns out to be wildly inconsistent IMO, and that's what we are seeing. For now, they just have to do their best in making sure that nothing else is either missed or under/over penalized, and that starts with Buchnevich.

We can see what happens when they don't get it right - stuff like this explodes. However, continuing not to get it right sends even a worse message in my opinion.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #338
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
False. When was the last time a goon ragdolled a super star player?

All the league had to do was give Wilson 1 frickin' game.
Kassian on Tkachuk. There are many more.

1 game and people would still be crying that its not enough.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #339
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Nah, you obviously didn't see the play. He didn't throw some guy off his back. They were face to face when he pulled off Panarin's helmet, slammed him to the ground, punched him while he was on the ground, and slammed him to the ground again.

Your take is a joke, honestly. The "drama queens" are just people who actually watched the play.
You are right. I did not see the play. It's only the few like yourself were privy to see it. If only I could get such privilege LOL

What I saw was a guy punching another guy and then a scrum with a guy jumping on another guys back. That guy then got ragdolled and i guess he got injured.

What you saw was Tom Wilson and a star player. Therefore, F Tom Wilson, suspend him for life. Everything else is just filling the blanks on how to F Tom Wilson. Nevermind that players punch one another all the time.

If this was Panarin hitting and ending Tom Wilson's career, this thread would be full of high fives. Fair, right?

Drama queens put to much emotions in to things.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:42 PM   #340
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You are right. I did not see the play. It's only the few like yourself were privy to see it. If only I could get such privilege LOL

What I saw was a guy punching another guy and then a scrum with a guy jumping on another guys back. That guy then got ragdolled and i guess he got injured.

What you saw was Tom Wilson and a star player. Therefore, F Tom Wilson, suspend him for life. Everything else is just filling the blanks on how to F Tom Wilson. Nevermind that players punch one another all the time.

If this was Panarin hitting and ending Tom Wilson's career, this thread would be full of high fives. Fair, right?

Drama queens put to much emotions in to things.
Nothing to do with who the other guy was. Could've been some no-name pest instead of Panarin for all anyone cares. And the only reason why it matters it was Wilson is because he's a repeat offender. It could have been any repeat offender with a reputation for being a #### and endangering other players, it doesn't matter.

You can keep chalking it up to drama queens if you want but it doesn't make your post look measured or unemotional and fact-based. It makes it look childish.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote