Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #7361
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Pavelski has a 3 team No Trade list and who knows if Dallas even moves him.

He'd be an amazing pickup, but I'm not sure we could get him to waive to come here.
If we're going to the playoffs and Dallas isn't, as a UFA at 36 why wouldn't he waive it?

Makes literally no sense to stay there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #7362
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas will have to fall a bit more before they are selling anyway. They have the same points as Calgary with 2 more games (though they are a negative goal differential which suggests they will, in fact, be fallers).

The reason JP would exercise his NTC is that he is 37, has played in plenty of POs, and has only moved teams twice. It’s not that attractive a proposition as you might think, especially if the Flames are a PO team but not really a contender for a cup.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #7363
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If we're going to the playoffs and Dallas isn't, as a UFA at 36 why wouldn't he waive it?

Makes literally no sense to stay there.
Because maybe the three teams on his list are Tampa Bay, New York Rangers, and Boston and he'd rather go to one of those teams

Sure if we are the only bidders than maybe he waives but if he has a preferred destination that also has interest in him then probably not.

I actually now think Boston probably trades for him somehow

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-24-2022 at 04:50 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #7364
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think they're likely to miss. The way they're trending indicates that. They're not getting the same goaltending they used to and that was a major pillar of their system/style of game being successful.

Recent struggles aside, the Flames' underlying stats and goal differential indicate they are probably still better than the California teams and should surpass them once games played is equalized.

Calgary just needs their goaltending to play closer to its average again rather than below it, which has been the case of late, and more wins should follow suit.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #7365
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Is Montreal overwhelmingly French speaking?
When I go there everyone just speaks perfect English to me, probably because I speak English to them first.
You can get by on the street level in English for sure, but the working language is definitely still French. It's getting exceedingly rare these days to find people who only speak English, but there are some for sure. There are very few English enclaves left around Montreal these days due to the Quebec government policies.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #7366
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
If the Flames magically had cap space, I would really want them to sign Pavelski as a UFA.
Per Capfriendly, his cap-hit at the TDL, would be about $3m, and the Flames will have about $5m.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #7367
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
You can get by on the street level in English for sure, but the working language is definitely still French. It's getting exceedingly rare these days to find people who only speak English, but there are some for sure. There are very few English enclaves left around Montreal these days due to the Quebec government policies.
The western part of Montreal is predominantly English. Same can be said about the eastern townships and parts of the east coast.

English is somewhat on the upswing though. Kids today don't care about everything that went down in the 70's. Hopefully one day the politicians will follow in seeing that promoting bilingualism is far more important then putting all of the focus on maintaining the prominence of the french language.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #7368
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If Buffalo is still shedding players, maybe Tage Thompson. Big, 25, RHS, makes $1.4 this year and next, has 14 goals, 28 points. 25 is still young but maybe too old for their rebuild. I suppose one issue is that he’s all that’s left from the ROR trade.

From Chicago obviously Debrincat is the dream but would they move Dach to avoid his RFA? He’s underperformed as a 3OA but maybe a change of scenery would help him.
I would love an addition like Tage good suggestion

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #7369
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tage would cost our 1st. There is zero reason for the Sabres to move him. Need to find motivated sellers to accommodate our asset poor position
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #7370
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Sneaky off the radar acquisitions like Thompson are exactly what you hope to see from Treliving, being a guy that tries to build a reputation of being smarter than every one in the room.

The thing about struggling teams is there are always those players no one talks about that quietly put up strong numbers. And as a team close to the cap you always want to be poaching those kinds of players that are still playing on cheap contracts that haven't garnered a reputation or name value around the league yet.
Except that I'm sure the league does know about him.
Sure he'd be a great fit, but I see no basis for why he would be available or why he would be someone below the radar given how well he's played.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #7371
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Servalli saying the Flames are one of 3 teams interesting in landing JT Miller.
Signed for two more years. Gritty and is more of a playmaker than shooter. Would instantly form a great 1/2C with Lindholm

Edit: only signed next year at 5.25
Dude Where's Makar? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dude Where's Makar? For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #7372
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
This team's centre depth is poor at the moment. If shipping out a centre, one needs to be coming to the Flames in return.
Dube, Valimaki => young 3A/2B C

(Dube is a 4A/3B C)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:05 PM   #7373
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rangers want Miller too. I'd guess he goes to anyone else other than Calgary.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:10 PM   #7374
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post
Signed for two more years. Gritty and is more of a playmaker than shooter. Would instantly form a great 1/2C with Lindholm

I'm for it. Remaining contract lines up with the Sutter window.

We need one more PPG producer.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:17 PM   #7375
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, JT Miller would be amazing, and Sutter would love him too-size, skating, physicality. I doubt we land any players this year at his level though...
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #7376
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames do OK trading with the Canucks. Granlund for Shinkaruk was pretty much a wash even though Granlund obviously played more. Baertschi was a clean win. Though I just saw an old article from Vancouver that described the trades as thefts for Vancouver - LOL.

I guess the question is Treliving’s history with Rutherford. I can’t recall them doing a deal.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #7377
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube is a good young third line center that is being forced to play wing. He looked much better in his natural position.

The expendable player is Backlund, but that is not an easy contract to sell to a team. Who out there has a RW with a contract that is substantial, but could use the center depth and experience of Backlund?

Eberle and Seattle?
Detroit and Zadina, if Calgary adds?
Columbus and domi?
Old 01-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #7378
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Dube is a good young third line center that is being forced to play wing. He looked much better in his natural position.

The expendable player is Backlund, but that is not an easy contract to sell to a team. Who out there has a RW with a contract that is substantial, but could use the center depth and experience of Backlund?

Eberle and Seattle?
Columbus and domi?
Eberle seems like the most realistic RW addition.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #7379
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post

Aaaah, right on. Another solid top six forward for us to get excited about the Flames acquiring but whom we never actually acquire lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:37 PM   #7380
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Eberle and Seattle?
Columbus and domi?
Montreal? Depending on what they want to do with their team. Anderson has underperformed but has a LNTC. And of course Toffoli. But I don’t see them losing those guys and picking up Monahan. Though his contract is way shorter term than Anderson FWIW.

Columbus is wing heavy but I think it wouldn’t be Domi they’d dump because he’s more a TDL rental trade for picks. Maybe Nyqvist or Bjorkstrand.

I suppose Philly might deal a winger. Would they trade 3.5 years of Atkinson for 1.5 of Monahan? Risky because Atkinson is under contract until he’s 35.