Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2023, 09:09 AM   #4201
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The biggest problem is we have shown the rich & elite that we are okay with them jet hopping across the world to their 15 estates while telling us all how we should not drive as much.

We shouldn't be driving as much, but why are you okay with letting the rich and elite off the hook for jet hopping?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:26 AM   #4202
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Ask a random person on the street.

"Where does the plastic go that you recycle. Where do the electronics go that you recycle?"

Most people have no clue.

Where does the cobalt come from in all our battery powered devices, cars, etc?

Nobody cares.

It is all about the appearance of being green.
In the meantime 6 year old kids are mining our cobalt.
I'm no doctor, I don't understand how the body or pharmaceuticals work, but I certainly think healthcare is a good thing.

I get what you're saying but just because people might not know how stuff is recycled doesn't mean that they don't actually care.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:43 AM   #4203
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It would be greener if adults mined our cobalt.
Mind your own cobalt, I'll mind mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I get what you're saying but just because people might not know how stuff is recycled doesn't mean that they don't actually care.
I would say that most people don't know how the hell things are recycled and for the most part there isn't anything wrong with that. I don't know how open heart surgery is performed either, but there are people that I trust do know how to do it correctly.

I guess this is sort of along the same lines as Sliver's thread on drug addicts. We have entrusted people to do a thing that we understand is meant to be a net benefit to society and we pay for it through taxes, and it is frustrating to learn that it is either not being done to the degree we were led to believe (or at all in some cases), or it is not as effective as we were told it was.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:47 AM   #4204
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm all for paper based packaging.

But I'm also not naive enough to believe that me recycling plastic products means that it is actually being recycled.

Or that 1st world countries aren't just sending their waste to 3rd world countries.

I won't say that there aren't people that don't truly care about the environment and try to make good choices (buy local produce as an example), but nobody can deny that 1st world countries are very much just taking advantage of 3rd world countries in order to give the appearance of being green.

The entire movement might go down as one of the greatest grifts of the modern century.
100% it has been a huge grift, brought to us by the very same people who sold us the plastic:

https://time.com/6173859/plastic-rec...ig-oil-damage/

and most likely the same people funding the anti-anti-plastic people (it feels wrong to call those people pro-plastic)
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:01 AM   #4205
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
noted on twitter yesterday that michelle rempel-gardner posted a document on her substack.

Doucment seems to suggest that the govt paid $6.8m to quarantine 15 people at the westin in calgary.

Mind boggling spend. One can only imagine how many times this happens across teh country with other departments

https://michellerempelgarner.substac...medium=reader2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_zH...g3yqEVIrr/view
I imagine these costs are because they kept entire floors empty for the program but the real question is, why were they still keeping this going so far into 2022? Or at least tone it down, don't need all 5 floors if just 2 people are attending.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:34 AM   #4206
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
We shouldn't be driving as much, but why are you okay with letting the rich and elite off the hook for jet hopping?
I'm a believer in frequent flier taxes that escalate greatly for those who travel all year around seeing it mostly involves the rich and big business.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 12:43 PM   #4207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be greener if adults mined our cobalt.
Whats stopping you from picking up a shovel?

I dont have a problem with people advocating that the Jet-Setting Elite should either put their money where their mouth is or promptly STFU.

People like Gore, Suzuki and DiCaprio are raging hypocrites.

Ditto the Politicians that fly all over the world to meet...inexplicably in person...to discuss how the people who dont have Private Jets (yet hilariously are paying for their operation via taxation) should use less Carbon.

And then return home to proselytize to their constituents that 'little things add up.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 01:03 PM   #4208
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whats stopping you from picking up a shovel?
I’m waiting for the vegan economic elite to go first.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:09 PM   #4209
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m waiting for the vegan economic elite to go first.
They're still too busy trying to find iron.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 06:10 PM   #4210
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1620542533163171841
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:34 PM   #4211
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What's old is new

https://twitter.com/user/status/1620530789447516160
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:13 PM   #4212
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
And there is actually a vocal group that wants this team to reorganize the economy.

Before I get attacked should we really do the project success rate for these clowns?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:17 PM   #4213
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
How is this even possible?

I'm like, legit trying to back calculate what this means / how they managed to spend this much.

This works out to $31,924 per day, every single day, for 10 people. So, each person spent $3,192 every day?

Is that normal? Hotel, per diem... but even then. I have no idea how this happens. First class flights maybe? Just $2000 each per day for strippers? Madness. It's borderline impressive they even managed this.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:01 AM   #4214
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

What they did was calculate the total cost the government paid to have the hotel be a quarantine hotel for the duration of the pandemic (26.8 million), then added on additional expenditures (comissionaires, medical transportation, Red Cross, cleaning services, & repairs) to get a total of 31.3 million. Then they divided by the number of days for which the program ran, and then added up that total for the number of days between April 1 and October 30, then claimed this was what the government spent for specifically those customers.

Is 30 million a lot to spend to turn a hotel into a quarantine location for 2.5 years? ... probably yes? Is it wildly innacurate to claim the government spent 6.8 million on ten people? Also yes. Should you feel bad for giving Yoho the benefit of the doubt? Definitely yes.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 06:47 AM   #4215
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
What they did was calculate the total cost the government paid to have the hotel be a quarantine hotel for the duration of the pandemic (26.8 million), then added on additional expenditures (comissionaires, medical transportation, Red Cross, cleaning services, & repairs) to get a total of 31.3 million. Then they divided by the number of days for which the program ran, and then added up that total for the number of days between April 1 and October 30, then claimed this was what the government spent for specifically those customers.

Is 30 million a lot to spend to turn a hotel into a quarantine location for 2.5 years? ... probably yes? Is it wildly innacurate to claim the government spent 6.8 million on ten people? Also yes. Should you feel bad for giving Yoho the benefit of the doubt? Definitely yes.
Some good oversite if 10 people used it from April to Oct. If that’s how much money was spent during that time frame for those results it is what it is. Justify it to yourself however you want.

Imagine this happened all over Canada. Would love to see the Liberal donations from these hotel owners when the dust all settles.

Last edited by Yoho; 02-01-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #4216
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

is it though. As i recall the document showed the spend as $6.8m for a period in which 10 folks hoteled it; however, as mentioned, it seems even the kardashians could not spend that much per day
Old 02-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #4217
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
is it though. As i recall the document showed the spend as $6.8m for a period in which 10 folks hoteled it; however, as mentioned, it seems even the kardashians could not spend that much per day
This isn't meant to justify or rationalize the cost of this, but when people see this cost and divide by 10 people, their frame of reference is when they stay in a hotel under normal conditions and that's not what this was. In a quarantine scenario they needed to transport these guests to and from the hotel, pay for a separate area from regular hotel guests, pay the medical personnel who were testing these individuals daily, pay for the security guards to be on site, pay for separate meal prep, etc. etc. It's not surprising that once you need a magnitude of skilled and unskilled labour, specialized equipment, designated space at the hotel, etc. to manage the process the costs pile up. At the end of the day that $6.8 million probably employed 10-15 people for the duration of that time, and bought/rented a lot of equipment on top of the stays of the 10 people.

In that light I wouldn't be attributing this to malice of procurement, but rather the decision to mandatorily quarantine travelers for no practical purpose other than it was good optics after the Christmas of 2020 when it became a big public issue that many Canadian politicians vacationed out of country at a time when travel was not 'recommended.' The government needed to maintain/create the narrative that their travel restrictions/recommendations and their border controls were sound so this theatre in Calgary and in the other three international airports accepting international flights was the cost of that policy.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 02-01-2023 at 07:14 AM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 07:22 AM   #4218
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing that many people were able/ forced to go to work everyday during COVID and yet politicians needed to quarantine an entire hotel for months on end for 10 people to be “safe”
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 07:32 AM   #4219
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
How is this even possible?

I'm like, legit trying to back calculate what this means / how they managed to spend this much.

This works out to $31,924 per day, every single day, for 10 people. So, each person spent $3,192 every day?

Is that normal? Hotel, per diem... but even then. I have no idea how this happens. First class flights maybe? Just $2000 each per day for strippers? Madness. It's borderline impressive they even managed this.
Judging by everything else going on, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this money was being funnelled out to Trudeau's cronies. Realistically it seems to be the only way you could actually spend this type of money on 'hotels.'

A lot like the ArriveCan app.

But remember people, the CPC is the problem here.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 07:39 AM   #4220
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn’t say the CPC is the problem, they’re just not the solution.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post: