Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #1541
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't love the deal but the Flames are no worse off...
Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #1542
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The team could still take from their defensive depth and add a top 6 winger.

I don’t think eating nearly $3M in dead cap and sending a pick is the right move either.

The only down side is the team decided to not see if a rejuvenated Neal could bounce back. I think this trade would have always been there for them so I don’t see the need to rush things until Neal proved definitively he was a bust. Something is up where both sides desperately wanted a breakup ASAP.
I get you view, don’t agree, but I do understand it.

I think there is a great deal of dirty laundry still to be hung out to dry on this deal...It’s very odd
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #1543
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Don't love the deal but the Flames are no worse off...
Given your comments on Neal over the past season, I can only conclude that someone has hacked your account
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadaMatt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #1544
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Same pro-scouting group that recommended Lindholm and Hanifin?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #1545
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't know lucic is good friends with Iggy and talked to iginla about be traded to the flames. Iginla told him to jump at the opportunity to play for us
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #1546
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think they had a 5M+ fourth liner regardless as you said.

I support Treliving, but it's hard to fathom how the pro scouting staff could have missed the mark on both Brouwer and Neal.

Now clearly there are some caveats on all these things. Neal has been productive, so I guess without insider knowledge on not working hard in the summer it would be hard to predict the cliff he fell off. Secondly attitude would be hard to measure because he's never had a lack of success pushing him down the roster.

With that said ... the Brouwer contract hurt, doubling down on an older player again seemed crazy. I know most liked the Neal signing the day it happened, but almost all of us worried about 5 years.
Well Calgary was Neal's 5th team in a 10 year nhl career.and his rep was out there ...

I don't relish being a negative Nancy so I did not participate in the Neal signing thread but it seemed to me at the time to be a dreadful mix of both parties' desperation. Neal wasn't getting offers with term and Calgary was coming off finishing 27th in the league in goals.

For me it's not hard to see at all how they missed it. No one wants to play in Calgary so when you can find a guy who is willing to play there, for whatever reason, you sign him and hope to win now.

Brouwer was already building a house in Calgary and Neal was looking for his last NHL deal, wherever he could find it

Who negotiates a 5 year deal at 30 years old as a ufa without trade restrictions? A guy who is just looking for a contract and doesn't care which team it's with. He's looking to hit a water mark, not a destination, and he can figure out where he plays after that: maybe by sulking his way off the team if things aren't going well for him immediately.

Anyway, this is all symptomatic of 20 years of draft failure and no one wants to hear that angmore so I'm not going to say anything about how the flames haven't drafted in the 2nd round in 3 straight years and that the longest Sutter ever went was 4 years and it completely crippled the chances of the core group under iginla to win.....

This is just desperation at work. All of it reeks.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #1547
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Didn't know lucic is good friends with Iggy and talked to iginla about be traded to the flames. Iginla told him to jump at the opportunity to play for us
I always forget that they played together for a year
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #1548
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's why I hate these interdivisional trades. The Baertschi trade worked out well for the Flames because Andersson is a better player already but that's about the only deal between the Flames and Canucks or Oilers where the Flames actually came out ahead. The other ones weren't disasters but I would say trades like today, taking Smid's contract off their hands, Granlund for AHL player, etc all helped the Flames rivals more than it did the Flames.
I thought Flames won the Ronnie Stern for Dana Murzyn deal.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #1549
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure how much Lucic will help this team, but to me, two of the biggest and entitled whiners last year, in Smith and Neal, are gone - to the same team, no less. That's already a win in itself.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #1550
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I thought Flames won the Ronnie Stern for Dana Murzyn deal.
Plus we got Kevan Guy!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #1551
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol. Milan Lucic is not an NHL calibre player. Literally the only reasons he's still in the league are his contract and the fact that the Oilers don't even have 12 NHL calibre forwards.

It's mind boggling if we think Lucic is going to add anything of value here.
Same could be said of Neal frankly. At least Lucic might throw a hit. Neal did absolutely nothing last year, nothing. Neal sucked in every facet of the game and dragged every line he was on down. We couldn’t bring Neal back, his lack of foot speed, lack of toughness, lack of scoring had no spot in our lineup.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #1552
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought that were we to get rid of Neal it would be possible to end up worse off.

Yet, here we are.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #1553
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Over the years of watching Neal I can honestly say I wasn't impressed by his play. I've always felt that he punched above his weight class. There was bound to be regression in his game. His skating is labored, and not relevant to today's NHL game.
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #1554
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Lucic can't skate. No matter how bad Neal was, a battle-scarred 30+ winger with bad skating isn't the answer in today's NHL.

If you need me, I'll be crying in the corner.
Unmmm Neal can’t skate either. Didn’t you see him last year?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #1555
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik (or replacement)
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett
Dube - Jankowski - Mangiapane
Czarnik

Not a huge change really from 1st in the west lineup last year. Not looking any worse anyway.

Coming around to feeling the end result of this trade is "meh" for the Flames, but probably more of a perceived win for the Oilers fans, which then makes it feel worse for Flames fans, heh.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #1556
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think part of the problem is that we keep looking at this from the perspective of “winning” the trade by getting the best player. It reminds me a bit of the Hamilton to Canes deal.

The amount of success the player who was shipped out has with his new team is largely irrelevant.

I honestly don’t care if Neal scores 40 playing with McDavid, on the condition that the Flames finish higher in the standings and make it further in the playoffs than the Oilers.

I also don’t care about buyout or expansion implications. If the Flames wanted to buyout Neal they would have and they obviously didn’t want to do that. I also am banking on Lucic not screwing the Flames and BT being smart enough to negotiate with Lucic that he’ll waive.

All that matters to me is that Lucic helps the Flames more than Neal would have. Obviously with all the excuses being thrown out to explain Neal’s awful performance last year, there’s a lot of guessing involved in whether he would’ve been better with the Flames next year. But even if he was, and that’s a massive if, I don’t want a player to be forced to play here if he doesn’t want to be here.

So all my focus is on Lucic. If he is terrible in Calgary, then we lose this trade, regardless of how well Neal performs. I don’t want to make Edmonton better but what do I give a #### if they’re better as long as we’re better too? The addition of James Neal to that embarrassing tire fire does not make them a contender.

I think Lucic will make the Flames better, by how much remains to be seen. Good riddance to James Neal. He’ll join a long list of UFA signing failures by the Flames in recent years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #1557
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Unmmm Neal can’t skate either. Didn’t you see him last year?
Lucic is actually better than Neal skating wise. He is about on par with Tkachuk speed wise. Neal is more on pace with a tortoise on skates
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #1558
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lucic is actually better than Neal skating wise. He is about on par with Tkachuk speed wise. Neal is more on pace with a tortoise on skates
I scoffed when you wrote this before, but then ClassicSniper posted some highlight videos, and Lucic showed more hustle and speed than I saw at any point last year from Neal.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #1559
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I hated watching Neal glide/float around waiting for the puck to come to him only to inevitably be caught dead in the water when the puck turned back up the ice. Probably my most hated high profile UFA we’ve ever signed especially because of how pumped I was to initially have gotten him.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #1560
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about this the more I can get behind it. Looking forward to seeing lucic in red. Really looking forward to him smashing some people for us and
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote