Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017 Trade Deadline Prediction: First Calgary Flames Player Traded

As another CP member has mentioned earlier, and I agree, Calgary is an asset-poor team at present. After protecting the consensus proven long-term young core players (Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Brodie and Hamilton), subtracting the players protected by NTC and players that have insignificant trade value, Calgary does not have much to offer to other teams. Plus, Calgary is in a playoff race, so management will likely hold off trading to the very last moment depending on how good or bad the team will perform in the next 6 weeks. On top of that, the expansion draft this year will impose weird limitations on moving (or not moving) players that should be on roster at the draft time to allow for protecting other players. I think, overall, we will be witnessing a pretty boring level of activity by Calgary Flames at the trade deadline.

I selected players that are likely to generate reasonable trade interest as primary targets by other playoff contenders and will be in the mix from the Calgary point of view:

Elliott - UFA next season, cap hit is not that big, could be a targeted backup goalie for a playoff contender. Calgary has three promising young goalies in the pipeline.

Backlund - UFA next year, will likely be asking for a $5M+ long-term contract. Probably, has reached his peak potential. Playing very well this season. Could generate a high return in a trade.

Bennett - obviously, a very promising young player with skill and energy. Struggling to find his game and his most effective position this season. Disciplined play is a concern, lots of silly penalties. Could generate a high return; perhaps, a player-for-player solid trade; win-win for both teams. I am not saying he should be traded; but only that a trade involving Bennett could make a good sense from the perspective of everyone involved.

Engelland - undoubtedly, his best year as a Flame. Would benefit any playoff contender as a solid added depth defenseman. UFA next season.

Wideman - UFA next season. Despite a lot of hate here for his mediocre play and conflict with refs last season, he has been playing reasonably well this season and will be a good addition to a playoff contender looking for a 3rd-4th defenseman. Should generate at least a 2nd round pick or better.

On the balance, I think the most logical and easy first trade will be Elliott.

So, with the above limitation criteria in mind, who do you think will be the first player traded by/at the deadline this year and why?

P.S. This is not about who should/shouldn't be traded or who would you like to see traded. Who do you think WILL be the first player traded?

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 01-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Bouma - Cheaper options available and his money can go into re-signing Backlund.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

100% agree.

Elliott will be gone
Wideman IF anyone would want him (they wont)
I also think the Flames could try to unload Bouma as they have replacements in the system.

As per the return, I suspect Elliott could grab a 3rd and the others a low-round pick.
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wideman to Tampa for a 2nd
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Not freaking Versteeg or Backlund. These are both guys who should be on this team at least the next couple of years.

I'd say Wideman to Ottawa for Pyatt and a 2nd.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Flames didn't make a single trade this season.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Versteeg would be solid asset management.

Any of engellend, wideman, or Kevin I would be happy to sell.

Bouma or stajan if anyone would want them.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure they make any moves because their rental players are playing key roles (Versteeg, Wideman, Engellend) and the expansion draft is looming so it is difficult to fill that big need for a #4 Dman.

While I agree recouping assets for Elliott is a realistic and logical option I am not sure they want to expose themselves of Johnson goes down.

How about:

To Blues: Elliott
To Flames: Hutton+2nd
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if the Flames didn't make a single trade this season.
Spoiler!
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So, if the Flames are out of the playoff race? Cause if they're still in it, Elliott isn't going anywhere.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just want to reiterate, this is not about whom would you LIKE to see moved; but who do you think WILL be the first trade, realistically.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #12
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like was acknowledged in the OP, it all depends on where we stand come trade deadline.
If we're out of it, I could see a lot of teams being interested in Engelland, who I think would return at least a 2nd. He would be a real warrior for any contending team.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the feeling we'll be buying a player or two, not selling. If we make a deal sending a player out, it'll probably be a minor league player.

I'm going to guess Emile Poirier. Just a hunch.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett and Backlund should really be left off that list. Just because other teams would express interest in them doesn't mean you should be entertaining trade as a possibility.

I say if the Flames are in a playoff spot come the end of Feb, then we move Wideman for whatever value you can get. I'd also listen to offers on Engelland, but unless the return is irresistibly good then I hold onto him for the playoff run. I'd be shopping Bouma as well but I doubt there will be any takers.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how much concerns surrounding the expansion draft impact the trade deadline.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
It will be interesting to see how much concerns surrounding the expansion draft impact the trade deadline.
Yeah, they still need to extend Jokipakka for this very reason.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Bennett and Backlund should really be left off that list...
Again, while I appreciate the notion, this is not about who should be or should not be traded; there is a trade speculation thread for discussing that. This is only for your prediction about who do you think WILL be traded first and why.

It would be nice to have a poll going, but I am not sure how to do it.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

enough of this sell high on Backlund baloney. this is NHL hockey, not the freaking stock market. if Backlund is removed from the team then the Flames are worse and further away from their goal of becoming an elite contender. look what happened to Colorado when they dumped Stastny and O'Reilly because they thought MacKinnon and Duchene were all they needed up the middle.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #19
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Regardless of if we are in it or not Wideman is the guy that should be moved.

I think a 3rd round pick would be tops we could get for him

I think we will be a playoff team at the end so I don't see much selling going on.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I'd like for us to trade bouma if possible since Ferland and Hathaway are better than him with similar playing styles.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote