Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #4041
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great episode tonight. That entire sequence with all those awesome characters sitting around the fire just shootin' the breeze was terrific.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:01 PM   #4042
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damn good episode but there were times where the acting of Emilia Clarke took me out of the moment, seemed like she was slipping out of character in a way.

Last edited by zamler; 04-21-2019 at 11:09 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #4043
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Damn good episode but there were times where the acting of Emilia Clarke too me out of the moment, seemed like she was slipping out of character in a way.
She really is a bad actor.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #4044
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Damn good episode but there were times where the acting of Emilia Clarke too me out of the moment, seemed like she was slipping out of character in a way.
Her conversation with Sansa seemed awkward but I think that was the point. Jorah promoted her to calm the arrogance a little bit and she "tried"...but she really wants the 7 kingdoms and not an ounce less.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #4045
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Her conversation with Sansa seemed awkward but I think that was the point. Jorah promoted her to calm the arrogance a little bit and she "tried"...but she really wants the 7 kingdoms and not an ounce less.
It was actually the scenes with Jon oh sorry
Spoiler!
that bothered me.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #4046
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

welp, that episode was specifically assembled to lead us along emotionally...and it worked. a bittersweet goodbye to most of these characters. here's to the blue eyed screeching versions of them that will be taking their place in a week's time.

Special thanks to Pod for the haunting medieval jingle, that's always worked great for making much sadness since Pip's (Merry's??) a cappella in Return of the King.

Last edited by Inglewood Jack; 04-21-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #4047
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
that bothered me.
hahaha.
Jon drops the bomb on her and she was more worried about him getting the iron throne than the fact she has been effing her nephew.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #4048
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great sense of mortality conveyed in this episode. Slow and emotional. The sense of foreboding isn't built out of the white walkers, but out of that feeling that everyone's stories are reaching the end. Sam's little soliloquy about death and being forgotten set the emotional tone of the episode. Something which has been great and that people care about is due to end and be forgotten.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #4049
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
that bothered me.
What about it was "out of character"? She's obsessed with being queen, just got called out by Sansa earlier and was point blank asked "say we live through this and you do take the throne: then what?" Danaerys has no answer. Sansa made it clear they won't "bend the knee" to her just because she has a title.

Then Jon/Aegon reveals his true heritage, and her first thought is "oh @#$%, he has a claim to MY throne!" It's impulsive, haughty and selfish: it's absolutely in her character to be that way.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:25 AM   #4050
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I was the only one who though Arya was 14 or so? When that scene started I was like wtf... Apparently Arya is 18 on the show. Maisie Williams is actually 22.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:34 AM   #4051
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know what parts of the episode were shot around Southern Alberta? In the credits there are people listed under Calgary Unit.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #4052
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ghost was in the background this episode. He's an Albertan wolf trained in Red Deer and filmed around Calgary. So I'm guessing just green screen for Ghost.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ows-ghost.html
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 02:55 AM   #4053
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even notice ghost when I watched the episode. I wonder how much it cost to have him stand in the background.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #4054
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I didn't even notice ghost when I watched the episode. I wonder how much it cost to have him stand in the background.
Thats the future King of the Realm you're referring to there!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #4055
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
It will be interesting to see how Dany tries to get rid of Jon, I was hoping he’d say he doesn’t want anything to do with the Iron Throne.
The audience expects Jon to say he doesn't want the throne, but he gets cut off. Now there's a tremendous tension between Jon and Dany leading up to the big battle. Great writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I was the only one who though Arya was 14 or so? When that scene started I was like wtf... Apparently Arya is 18 on the show. Maisie Williams is actually 22.
Wasn't just you. Arya is 11 at the start of the show (and nine at the start of the books).

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comm...haracter_ages/

Maybe seven years are supposed to have passed in the series? I figured two or three years had passed. I know the show runners have expressed worry about the younger actors out-ageing their characters, which wouldn't be a problem if each season is supposed to represent a year. But they're never really clear about the passage of time.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #4056
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
They’re getting the “feel good” reunion/bonding out of the way. I expect we’ll see a lot of characters die next week, and the slaughter in the crypt is going to be brutal ( The Night King raises the dead, lets put the weakest in the crypts, WTF?)

It will be interesting to see how Dany tries to get rid of Jon, I was hoping he’d say he doesn’t want anything to do with the Iron Throne. And, nIce to see Ghost again!
This happens when ever there is a big shows final season and its reached critical mass in public consumption

I remember specifically on the sopranos and breaking bad

The early episodes get accused of being slow by some, especially people who caught up binge watching, but they are the core of the show

Any show with a decent cgi budget can show a battle or killing etc.

Which makes a show great is that you care about the characters, next week I think a lot of people are going to die, and it will be so much more meaningful because of the time spent in episodes like this

It's why people still remember the battle of the bastards, battle of Blackwater, or things like helms deep
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #4057
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Great episode tonight. That entire sequence with all those awesome characters sitting around the fire just shootin' the breeze was terrific.
That whole scene just really illustrated the gravity of the situation and dropped it in the viewer's laps.

We're sitting in that room by that fire with these characters we've been following for years and really feeling the mounting tension.

Fantastic. They really nailed the warriors 'night before the final battle' feeling. Couldnt have been better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #4058
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

So what did Bran tell Tyrion during story time?

I don’t think they showed us that for #### and giggles. It’s gonna come into play before this is over.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #4059
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arya must have joined the Nippleless Men as well.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM   #4060
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Really liked the episode. No Night King with the walkers there: still think he may be going south to King’s Landing.

With so many character arcs coming to a close, it really does seem as if there will be numerous deaths next episode. Could be anyone.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote