Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #3061
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Whats with all the hype about the US being a net exporter of Oil then? If Trump is as protectionist as everyone is saying, shouldn't we expect tariffs on Oil so that the US uses its own product?
They are still a net importer, even if they fracked to the max they wouldn't cover their consumption. I expect a push to make North America energy independent more than the US alone.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #3062
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ah so I just heard wrong? Well that's a bit of a relief....

(yeah should've just googled it, I think what I heard was they now produce as much as they import)
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #3063
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Ah so I just heard wrong? Well that's a bit of a relief....

(yeah should've just googled it, I think what I heard was they now produce as much as they import)
Check out BP's report on energy. Gives a good breakdown on major countries and their consumption / production.

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/pd...ull-report.pdf

U.S. produced 12.7 mmbbl/d of oil in 2015, and consumed 19.4 mmbbl/d.

Canada produced 4.4 mmbbl/d, and consumed 2.3 mmbbl/d. It isn't perfect to assume that the excess was entirely sent to the U.S., but it is close enough for rough figures.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #3064
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How much more would be consume if we could send Alberta oil east?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #3065
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without refinery retrofits for heavy oil only a few hundred thousand barrels a day. Irving already stated they would continue to import light oil from the middle east.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #3066
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
How much more would be consume if we could send Alberta oil east?
Rough proxy would be the displacement of imported oil to east coast refineries (Irving, etc.).

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrc...ap-Large-E.gif

Looks like approximately 800 mmbbl/d if you consider all refineries in Quebec and parts East.

edit: and that isn't considering retrofits needed per above post.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #3067
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Without refinery retrofits for heavy oil only a few hundred thousand barrels a day. Irving already stated they would continue to import light oil from the middle east.
The Gulf Coast refineries have made those changes already in anticipation of Canadian heavy being made available to them. Texas is a very strong supporter of this getting approved.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #3068
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
If Irving can get a better price and lower cost from tankering from the Middle East than piping from Alberta you really can't blame them. No incentive to buy Albertan oil except Alberta selling it low which really doesn't help the industry at all.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #3069
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
The Gulf Coast refineries have made those changes already in anticipation of Canadian heavy being made available to them. Texas is a very strong supporter of this getting approved.
This is precisely why I don't think Trump will slap tariffs on our crude if KXL gets built. They put in the pots and pans back when peak oil was a thing and the expectation was Canadian heavy oil would fill the gap.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #3070
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

With Trump being a major shareholder of Transcanada you have to think that bodes well for keystone XL. Republicans already want it and put it before Obama who vetoed it.

Doubt Trump will go against his own party and his accountant!
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #3071
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
With Trump being a major shareholder of Transcanada you have to think that bodes well for keystone XL. Republicans already want it and put it before Obama who vetoed it.

Actually, this is interesting.

My understanding, and I admit it may be flawed, is that once elected to Public office the POTUS has to eliminate all of his private holdings.

Now this just means that his son buys Trumpco or whatever the hell the conglomerate holding company is called for $1, but still.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #3072
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On top of which, hes allegedly in the middle of several lawsuits, I wonder what happens with those. Those companies may no longer technically be The Donald's, but who is going to continue suing the President or the President's holdings?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #3073
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't look like there's a law mandating that. Someone else may have better info but heres an article

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...oKL/story.html

Donald Trump could become president of the United States and still keep his day job as chairman of the Trump Organization and impresario of all things Trump-branded. He could even promote policies that advance his business interests.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #3074
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
If Irving can get a better price and lower cost from tankering from the Middle East than piping from Alberta you really can't blame them. No incentive to buy Albertan oil except Alberta selling it low which really doesn't help the industry at all.
Because middle eastern oil is "dirty oil". No environmental standards on production like Canada or human rights. Some of the money from oil sales could slip through and fund terrorism.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #3075
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't look like there's a law mandating that. Someone else may have better info but heres an article

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...oKL/story.html

Donald Trump could become president of the United States and still keep his day job as chairman of the Trump Organization and impresario of all things Trump-branded. He could even promote policies that advance his business interests.
On CBC last night David Frum predicted Trump would open resorts all over Russia, China, Malaysia, etc. during his presidency, exposing him to influence from autocratic regimes.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #3076
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I thought I heard on ABC that if you are President conflict of interest doesn't apply.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #3077
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If he's invested in it you have to think he would try to expand it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #3078
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When the president does it, it's not a crime.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #3079
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Actually, this is interesting.

My understanding, and I admit it may be flawed, is that once elected to Public office the POTUS has to eliminate all of his private holdings.

Now this just means that his son buys Trumpco or whatever the hell the conglomerate holding company is called for $1, but still.
That seems weird and unlikely. In Canada politicians have to show their holdings to get them approved and cannot manage their own investments into public securities. So what that means is that they can't have direct say in what they're investing in and someone has to do it for them.

That approach makes sense because then they don't know what they hold and when, or at least can't load up on say TRP and then approve KXL the following day.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #3080
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The POTUS is supposed to entrust his holdings into something akin to a blind trust I believe.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote