Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 11:47 PM   #941
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Asking somebody to not smoke or vape indoors is asking to start a knife fight or get murdered?

Is Vancouver truly so bad that this the expectation now, I guess the courts will just shrug their shoulders and be forced to let the murderer go?

Blaming the dead victim is an interesting take.
Not what I'm saying, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. Starting an altercation is usually more than just words or making a request. It's starting a physical fight.

I don't know if this is what happened, but if you start a fight, there's a chance it won't end well as you don't know the mindset of a total stranger.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:00 AM   #942
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I just want to add that the comment I made about the victim challenging the guy to the fight is 100% hearsay at this point. I haven't found any kind of link for that. So probably not worth treating that as fact at this point.

Edit: only info about what happened beforehand is coming from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...ucks_stabbing/

Last edited by blankall; 03-28-2023 at 07:18 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:17 AM   #943
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Never trust a fight to be fought squarely and have a beer afterwards. Too many loose cannons willing to take cheap shots, use weapons, and go into full Rage virus mode.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2023, 11:46 AM   #944
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There’s one type of guy I trust to fight fair; no one. People aren’t Letterkenney characters anymore, no one’s stopping when you’re down. They’re going to ####ing kill you
Old 03-28-2023, 12:04 PM   #945
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to frequent this Starbucks a lot when I worked downtown.
Sounds like the victim had an unfortunate altercation with a loser rather than the random stranger attacks the city has had over the last little while.
Can't believe this moron carried a blade around in case he needed to act tough at a coffee shop. Should lock him up for life, but who knows with our justice system.
Sad state of affairs in Downtown Vancouver in general, it's become quite a cesspool over the last few years.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:10 PM   #946
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Sounds like the victim had an unfortunate altercation with a loser rather than the random stranger attacks the city has had over the last little while.
Can't believe this moron carried a blade around in case he needed to act tough at a coffee shop. Should lock him up for life, but who knows with our justice system.
Sad state of affairs in Downtown Vancouver in general, it's become quite a cesspool over the last few years.
There's a whole thread here about people who carry a knife with them. I think it's kinda weird and unnecessary, unless you use it for your job all the time.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=186144
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 12:12 PM   #947
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
2nd degree murder in Canada is like 2 years...
Old 03-28-2023, 12:23 PM   #948
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always taken the approach that you never confront or criticize a stranger because you just never know who is crazy or who is bringing a knife to Starbucks on a Sunday afternoon. If something illegal or dangerous is going on, then call the police. If it is a life or death situation, I get that intervention might be warranted. But in cases where it is a bylaw issue or just general anti-social behaviour that is annoying, it's just not worth it. If someone is dispalying anti-social behaviour, there is a pretty good chance that the person is not going to respond in a reasonable fashion to your criticism.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #949
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have always taken the approach that you never confront or criticize a stranger because you just never know who is crazy or who is bringing a knife to Starbucks on a Sunday afternoon. If something illegal or dangerous is going on, then call the police. If it is a life or death situation, I get that intervention might be warranted. But in cases where it is a bylaw issue or just general anti-social behaviour that is annoying, it's just not worth it. If someone is dispalying anti-social behaviour, there is a pretty good chance that the person is not going to respond in a reasonable fashion to your criticism.
You're right but it's sad we have to think like this in Canadian cities.
I guess you better never honk at anyone, tell someone off for littering, parking in handicap spots, or doing anything inappropriate whatsoever, even if it's directly impacting your wife & child like this case.

Best to always walk away and let it be someone else's problem, sadly.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #950
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
You're right but it's sad we have to think like this in Canadian cities.
I guess you better never honk at anyone, tell someone off for littering, parking in handicap spots, or doing anything inappropriate whatsoever, even if it's directly impacting your wife & child like this case.

Best to always walk away and let it be someone else's problem, sadly.
I think it is just a function of Canadian cities getting larger and more crowded. Bigger cities means more crime in general. There are other factors that play in of course, like wealth disparity, cost of living, personal space, etc..., but I think those are all things that can be affected by population size. The more people you cram into a small area, the nuttier things get. Toronto is also mess lately with the amount of random violence.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:21 AM   #951
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The US is way worse but they made the call to stop reporting it in the news and giving a ****.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM   #952
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A week after the Starbucks stabbing, there was a random throat slashing on a Surrey bus at 9:30 am. The victim was in life threatening condition, but they are now saying he will recover. Apparently it is being investigated as an ISIS terrorist attack.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/terrorism-char...ents-1.6340627

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-04-2023 at 12:49 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #953
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jesus. Had not heard that one. Just a wee bit scary but isolated I imagine.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #954
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A week after the Starbucks stabbing, there was a random throat slashing on a Surrey bus at 9:30 am. The victim is in life threatening condition. Apparently it is being investigated as an ISIS terrorist attack.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/terrorism-char...ents-1.6340627
I doubt it was an ISIS attack given its random nature without a specific target.... Maybe some random, twisted nut job who associates himself with their movement
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #955
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I doubt it was an ISIS attack given its random nature without a specific target.... Maybe some random, twisted nut job who associates himself with their movement
This is kind of exactly what they've been doing in Western countries for a while now. These off-brand ISIS lone wolfs just attack whoever.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #956
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, got it. I had assumed that their attacks would have some sort of target. Didn't know they were causing random chaos.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:01 AM   #957
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So in Vancouver, some might recall they tried to clear out the encampments on Hastings a while ago, leading to riot police that day... Anyways, they failed to clear it out back then, so the new mayor send them in today and actually successfully cleared everything out. Some sketchy stuff though during the clear out where apparently media wasn't allowed down there and then the street cameras - all 4 down there - unfortunately, stopped working...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1643683730643623936

https://twitter.com/user/status/1643660161553432576

https://twitter.com/user/status/1643667876342005778
Old 04-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #958
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an iconic image she captured here.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1643687833104945155

A sad situation.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #959
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From 2 weeks ago.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:32 AM   #960
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be more transparency for sure, but I don't disagree with the decampment. Nobody is safe down there. There was a report not that long ago women living in the camp were routinely sexually assaulted and being trafficked. There are also people who live down there, not in camps, who live in fear and often can't even get into their homes because they get blocked.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world