Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

We have a Rav4 too, and that has been really good. AWD, V6. It's sweet. The complaints are mainly about the crappy creature comforts in it. The cup holders should be in a better location. And the wind vibration noise when only the back windows are open are enough to make you want to kill.
I've had two different Rav4 with the V6. I totally agree. That wind buffering was so annoying. On the plus side they both were excellent for winter driving. Put a set of winter tires on it and I never had any problems in winter. I loved the 4 wheel lock button that you could engage to get going from icy intersections. It would automatically turn off at 40kms.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #42
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another vote for Subaru. I had a 07 Forester and traded it on a 2014 Impreza hatchback that I've had the last 3 years. It's great in the winter (despite the low ground clearance), good on fuel, no issues in the 3 years I've had it and it's very practical and I think good looking. It's a black hatchback, tinted windows, roof rack, rear spoiler and window deflectors. It was a little noisy on the highway but a few months after buying it I bought a roll of FatMat and sound deadened the doors and rear hatch so it's pretty quiet now. My only issue is the extremely poor FM sound quality from the OEM stereo.

I've also built a piece for the rear hatch floor out of plywood that I can easily put in the rear hatch so that when the seats are folded it's perfectly flat. Also built a piece that fills in the space between the front seat and back so that it gives another foot or so of space. It allows me to stretch out and sleep in the back of the car (I'm about 5'10") when I want to be at a location further from home to shoot sunrise. It appears that a twin blowup mattress will fit so that'll be my next purchase. Prior to that I had a few sleeping pads which was okay too. The best part is that I can install or remove it in a few minutes.

Last edited by shane_c; 11-08-2017 at 01:26 PM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #43
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What’s the greatest vehicle for the average Canadian? Not necessarily the most expensive or the most bang for your buck (but either would be fine to mention), but the one vehicle you’d trust to handle Canadian weather from summer to our harsh winters. What does it all?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #44
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had an Outback for 13 years and it was just barely starting to show its age when I traded it in. There was one slight rust spot on it. Really liked the car. I replaced it with an Outlander (the older model with the dropped floor) which we quite like too. That 10 year drivetrain warranty from Mitsubishi is hard to look past. We can also stand two bikes up in the back which was a selling feature.

Not sure what the next car will be...guess it depends on who is offering a model starting with "out".

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #45
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think the first thing you need to figure out is what are your plans for your vehicle? how many people are you regularly taxiing around? how much storage do you need? do you need space like the back of a truck or is a trunk/hatchback enough? will you be towing? AWD? 2WD? 4x4?

my wife has a mazda cx-7 and loves it - all wheel drive, lots of space for the kids and all their crap. personally, i don't like it all all. i find the blind spots just brutal on it. i also hate how when you 'step on it' there is a slight lag before the vehicle actually 'goes' - i guess i'm just used to the v8 in my truck?

i like my 4x4 trucks (still have my old one - 89 silverado, standard cab, short box). my current truck is a 2014 silverado crewcab short box. tons of room in the cab, easy to get the kids in and out of the baby seats in the back. it's a fairly high trim package (LTZ) so it's got tons of bells and whistles (heated and air conditioned seats, power everything, and lots of other goodies). i have the convenience of a box so it's easy hauling my goalie gear to the rink and my bass gear to gigs. it's also great for trips to home depot when i'm starting my 'next project'. i've always been a 'truck guy' and i'm sure i always will be.

a buddy of mine recently got a vw touareg and loves it. great gas mileage, has tons of power, can tow his trailer and lots of storage.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #46
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Toyota Rav4 V6 and love it. Good fuel economy, big enough to fit things but not too big, low maintenance costs, does great in the winter (AWD), heated seats, reliable and fast. People are always surprised when I mention it has almost 300 horsepower. For that reason I don't think I could drive the new models they started producing in 2013
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #47
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been in the market for a new vehicle for about seven years now <!> and my big problem with any of the Subaru models were that they are too low to the ground for my monstrous 6'6 frame. Getting in and out of them was like sitting on the floor - and I currently drive a Mazda 3, which I thought was pretty low.

Funnily, another vehicle mentioned in this thread--the Ridgeline--was mentioned to me by my also-6'6 doctor a few years ago, when we got talking about cars somehow. He said they're the roomiest vehicle he'd ever driven, but at that time they weren't in production.

I didn't know they started making them again before reading this thread.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 PM   #48
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I have a 2006 Escape with 180,000 clicks that i've owned for 11 years. It has a short wheelbase and the AWD handles quite well during the winter months and is great on the highway during the summer. No major mechanical issues and has been problem free for the most part. It also has no rust and when detailed it looks almost new.

Lots of room is the back to haul things. Power adjustable cloth seats that are very comfortable. Has a 3.0 V6 engine that has been very reliable and has lots of power for passing. Quiet highyway ride.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #49
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Mazdas are the worst choice for Canada. Every single one of them rusts prematurely. I can't believe there isn't a class action lawsuit or something against them.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #50
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Mazdas are the worst choice for Canada. Every single one of them rusts prematurely. I can't believe there isn't a class action lawsuit or something against them.
This was true when Ford built the vehicles, but ever since they've switched to the Kodo Design Language, they shouldn't have issues.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #51
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want a vehicle with proper heating, with defrosters that go all the way across the dash to hit the entire windshield, and even defrosters on side windows. Is that really so much to ask for???
Old 11-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #52
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I want a vehicle with proper heating, with defrosters that go all the way across the dash to hit the entire windshield, and even defrosters on side windows. Is that really so much to ask for???
I've never had a car that doesn't do this. Do you have recirculate on? That will fog you up.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #53
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

No my stupid little import has defrost heaters that only go partially across the dash.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #54
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Subarus should definately be up there for the title of GCV..... a highly capable AWD system at every price point is something of benefit for everyone east of the Rockies....

...except their dealers are terrible - probably the biggest thing from Subaru becoming bigger in Canada. They were a niche vehicle for the longest time and they're trying to keep it that way. How Subaru Canada hasn't forced the Calgary dealers to either expand and modernize their facilities to help win marketshare is beyond me. The one on Macleod is a trip back to the 80's in what the dealership experience is like.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #55
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Minivans are the best all round vehicle by far and the Caravan can be an insane deal in some trim levels. You can haul 7-8 people in complete comfort (unlike the penalty box of a third row in most SUVs), they're easy to drive, you can haul tons of stuff securely, they're reasonably economical and they're super versatile with the sliding side doors. They're also the perfect size in that they fit in every parking spot and every garage. I could go on.

Also, counter to what a lot of posters are saying, you absolutely don't need AWD. It's all about the tires. I have an F150 4x4, a FWD Sienna and an AWD CLS550 - the FWD minivan with Blizzaks is amazing in every single weather condition including traversing the mountains in a foot of snow with ice underneath. If I could have only one car as my only car, the minivan would be it. It's not as fun as the CLS and the F150 might look cooler, but the minivan is the best of the bunch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #56
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

What is the Greatest Canadian Vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I have a 2006 Escape with 180,000 clicks
Now I know where the "high" in "High River" comes from.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #57
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really love my 330xi with studded winters. It feels like I could go through anything.
Low clearance though.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #58
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Minivans are the best all round vehicle by far and the Caravan can be an insane deal in some trim levels. You can haul 7-8 people in complete comfort (unlike the penalty box of a third row in most SUVs), they're easy to drive, you can haul tons of stuff securely, they're reasonably economical and they're super versatile with the sliding side doors. They're also the perfect size in that they fit in every parking spot and every garage. I could go on.

Also, counter to what a lot of posters are saying, you absolutely don't need AWD. It's all about the tires. I have an F150 4x4, a FWD Sienna and an AWD CLS550 - the FWD minivan with Blizzaks is amazing in every single weather condition including traversing the mountains in a foot of snow with ice underneath. If I could have only one car as my only car, the minivan would be it. It's not as fun as the CLS and the F150 might look cooler, but the minivan is the best of the bunch.
"Need" is always a strong word, but you absolutely benefit from it. We had a 2004 Civic sedan before getting the Impreza, so very similar vehicle sizes. The Impreza, is by far the better driver. The Civic got stuck more than once. It was no were near as stable cornering.

But ya, the generic minivan would be high up there as a great Canadian vehicle.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #59
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
...except their dealers are terrible - probably the biggest thing from Subaru becoming bigger in Canada.
Well probably this and the fact that they are as ugly as homemade soap.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #60
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
No my stupid little import has defrost heaters that only go partially across the dash.
Run your AC on warm. Acts as a dehumidifier.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote